[32bpp/EZ]BRIX!!!

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

V453000 :)
President
President

Re: [32bpp/EZ]BRIX!!!

Post by V453000 :) »

I went through the source and it shouldn't be that much of an addition/nightmare to add separate snow AND desert. I will probably do that as it's much nicer.
ImageImageImage
R2T9
Engineer
Engineer

Post by R2T9 »

I think that will look best :)

Also, is the mysterious train set still set to release with BRIX?
President
President

Nah, 2 weeks ago I was on a vacation - I managed to finish designing the set, with complete feature list, list of vehicles etc. I even set up the technical background that I need for rendering it, now I just need to create the 3D models and code it.

Which by itself will be a lot of work, but at least now I can work on it in short intervals whenever I have time.

I am now in a frenzy "release BRIX asap", so they are not going to be together at all. :)

In return, BRIX will be better, and I will have dedicated time just for the trains, which can't hurt either.

V
ImageImageImage
R2T9
Engineer
Engineer

Post by R2T9 »

Okay! Super excited for both of them!

...Any chance for a teaser?
President
President

Sure, here is my latest progress. I added both snow and desert, you will also be able to select which one you want in parameters.
Snow will probably always look super weird in tropic climate, but desert in arctic can help being easy on the eyes sometimes, if the user desires.

Also, here you can see parameters for disabling anything you want. If there is something in BRIX that you don't want to use / take it from other grfs, you can easily just disable anything you want.
These parameters are growing as I add more things, so each new thing will be possible to turn off (in case someone asks if they will be able to turn off gui sprites which I didn't do yet).

With the snow colour parameter, tracks/roads will of course adapt. Right now I have a few bugs in rails at x1 zoom so I am fixing that.

I also broke bridges because I needed to fix their alignment to ground tracks, so no bridges in this picture. :D Soon(tm)

The biggest thing which is missing in these "terrain-only" screenshots are trees however. Those are not yet done for arctic/tropic climates, which will add a lot.

V
Attachments
BRIX_taster8-snow.png
(921.7 KiB) Not downloaded yet
BRIX_taster8-desert.png
(924.15 KiB) Not downloaded yet
ImageImageImage
President
President

And fixed the tracks at x1 zoom, so here goes a little more representative screenshot. Also notice the difference between arctic and tropical in the amount of transitions between grass and snow/desert.
Attachments
BRIX_taster9-desert.png
(1.78 MiB) Not downloaded yet
BRIX_taster9-snow.png
(1.81 MiB) Not downloaded yet
ImageImageImage
SyberSycho
Engineer
Engineer

Post by SyberSycho »

V453000 :) wrote:And fixed the tracks at x1 zoom, so here goes a little more representative screenshot. Also notice the difference between arctic and tropical in the amount of transitions between grass and snow/desert.
Looking great man.
R2T9
Engineer
Engineer

Post by R2T9 »

Excellent! Looks really good!
President
President

BRIX heart rate detected, coming to life soon!

Medically proven.
Attachments
heart-rate.png
(314.63 KiB) Not downloaded yet
ImageImageImage
SyberSycho
Engineer
Engineer

Post by SyberSycho »

V453000 :) wrote:BRIX heart rate detected, coming to life soon!

Medically proven.
So many cores. Looks like you got a beast of a machine.
President
President

Actually it's about 3-4 years old, 6-core i7-3930K ... bigger problems are at the RAM, I often fill it up completely. Might need to change motherboard at some point, but since the CPU is some weird LGA2011 or what socket, I will likely need to throw that away as well at some point when 24GB ram won't cut it.
ImageImageImage
SyberSycho
Engineer
Engineer

Post by SyberSycho »

Just cause it's old doesn't mean it's not still a beast and if ram is your only issue how come you don't upgrade to 32gb of ram. Most motherboards have no issue managing that much.
President
President

yeah, the CPU is quite fine, but about 2 years ago during some lengthy rendering sessions (might as well have been YETI/RAWR), it got a bit warm and 2 of the RAM slots burned out XD so now I have 6 instead of 8, and I believe the motherboard can't eat 8gb sticks so I am stuck with 24GB atm. Which is annoying, since BRIX 3D scene takes about 13GB when just open, uses all RAM when rendering. And similarly in postproduction scene which takes like 16GB RAM when open... I can't have both open at the same time. Which is not a gigantic issue but it's nice to be able to do that. Eventually one day perhaps maybe. :)
ImageImageImage
SyberSycho
Engineer
Engineer

Post by SyberSycho »

Oh sux that u lost those ram slots. I'd suggest whenever you do upgrade to use one of those i think corsair self contained cpu water cooling to keep your system cool. I use one on my i7 3770k and over clocked it to 4.6ghz with 0 issues and nvr seen temps above 80 under huge stress.
President
President

interesting idea :) thank you for the suggestion ... though I think I will upgrade next year or later
ImageImageImage
piratescooby
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by piratescooby »

V453000 :) wrote:interesting idea :) thank you for the suggestion ... though I think I will upgrade next year or later
A heavily modded Alien ware is what I use , overclocked I7{ 4+ } 32 gb mem twin Geforce GTX780M , a souped up baby never had any problems . A bit to much to play OTTD , I play on my Mac Pro , 16gb + graphic card , both laptops excellent for graphics development .Main use is Raw manipulation of photographs ,but my mate often pops around to borrow for a bit of rendering , as he say these babys blow his mainframe out the window .
President
President

I would like your cooling solution for such a laptop :D or is it built to boil itself after a year?

In general, I don't think I will buy a powerful laptop anytime soon. The price for the horses is just too ridiculous compared to desktop workstations, and with rendering tasks / WTF s*** I do with after effects, neither of cpu/ram/gpu can ever be enough, MOAR. :) So performance really matters for me. But that's miles away, still.

In BRIX world, I am close to 100% finishing the biggest problem - bridges. Once they re-render over night, I will post some screenshots. ;)
ImageImageImage
President
President

Hooray! The biggest problem that was one of the reasons why RAWR 0.0.2 will most likely never exist - bridges - has been fixed! :D If you zoom in super close, you can see that the 8bpp masks are making some mess, but that will be quick fix now.

Onwards to foundations, vehicles and a few finishing touches for BRIX 0.0.1. :)
Attachments
bridges-fixed.png
(2.52 MiB) Not downloaded yet
ImageImageImage
SyberSycho
Engineer
Engineer

Post by SyberSycho »

Awsome man. Also the distroyed ground isn't as distracting as it was when the grass was white which makes it look better.
R2T9
Engineer
Engineer

Post by R2T9 »

Looks amazing! I really like the bridge designs :) Excited to see future progress!

Return to “Graphics Development”