Fake Airport Objects Version 0.1 (released on Bananas)

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

kamnet

Re: Fake Airport Objects Version 0.1 (released on Bananas)

Post by kamnet »

Boffis123 wrote:I downloaded the NewGRF from the Online content in the game, added it to the list of newGRFs I wanted in my game, but in the game there were still the original airports and nothing else, is it somewhere else or do I have to download it from any site on the internet? :bow:
This set will not replace original airports or any other airport NewGRF. They are objects, they only provide additional visual eyecandy to build.
Attachments
airportobjects.png
airportobjects.png (603.47 KiB) Viewed 4096 times
Boffis123
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Boffis123 »

Thx, I found them on the landscape option yesterday. :)
Phreeze
Director
Director

Post by Phreeze »

great GRF !

i voted option 3 too! The other lines remember memore of ISAs objects for heavy weight material,industries etc.
STD
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by STD »

Very great set to create the airport. I loved to use it in the game. And what else do you plan to add? :)
[OpenTTD] STD screenshots
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[OpenTTD] STD saved games - My finished scenarios and saves from the game
My Youtube channel - OpenTTD | Wiki xUSSR set (RU) | Wiki xUSSR set (EN) | Download the latest version of the xUSSR set
TT Screenshot of the Month - the page editor | Screenshot Of The Month Contest Winner: August 2017
Phreeze
Director
Director

Post by Phreeze »

ISA wrote:
Phreeze wrote: of ISAs objects for heavy weight material,industries etc.
:shock: Wait, what? I haven't done any such thing :)
oops, wasn't you, but hey at least you used them inyour screnshots xD *too lazy to look up the name*
Emperor Jake
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Emperor Jake »

Great collection of objects! Many are useful as things other than airports, some of the buildings make great ferry terminals or station extensions. Expect to see them cropping up in my screenshots eventually :)

Now all I'd like to see is a way to change the real airports to look like these objects so that you can combine them seamlessly, is such a thing already available somewhere? It shouldn't be too hard to do, I imagine one could basically take the OGFX+ Airports code and add in existing sprites from this set with minor modifications. Also remove the fences and runway ends for better extendability.
LuthorHuss
Engineer
Engineer

Post by LuthorHuss »

Hi,

i love this set very much! the Airports look more realistic! :) but I have one question!

Could you make the "overlapping tiles" longer, so the whole runway can be overlapped? That would be nice and the fake Airport could be a real Airport :)

Greetings!
Flugplatz.png
longer overlapping tiles would be nice! :)
(1.16 MiB) Not downloaded yet
luxtram
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by luxtram »

LuthorHuss wrote:Could you make the "overlapping tiles" longer, so the whole runway can be overlapped? That would be nice and the fake Airport could be a real Airport :)
Would it be possible to make the tiles such that when placed next to the drive way, will overlap it? I understand that the motivation is to make the airport look uniform.

It will not make the planes land on the fake tracks but the whole thing would still look better. :)

PS. Nice airports.
California City Sets viewtopic.php?t=76786
1000 building set viewtopic.php?t=75250
LuthorHuss
Engineer
Engineer

Post by LuthorHuss »

Yes, of course they do :) I built a normal airport. Because it is so small, I used the fake airport to make it bigger. And this looks more better, but the runways aren't equal :/

here you see: ;)
Attachments
start.png
(1.44 MiB) Not downloaded yet
ladung.png
(906.4 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Quast65
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Quast65 »

Hi guys!

Thnx for the suggestions, but they both have some issues.

LuthorHuss' suggestion:
For some airports you will need very long overlaps then, those will glitch heavily.

Luxtram's suggestion:
Aside from the glitching that will appear for wider overlaps (in the case of international airports, where you will have to cover 2 runways), there is another major issue:
Example191.png
Example191.png (63.14 KiB) Viewed 3131 times
Overlaps coming from the right will cover up planes (overlaps coming from the left should be ok), as demonstrated by using ISR/DWE-objects overlaps ;-)

There is a solution and that is changing the actual runway graphics to my runway graphics by a separate GRF. That can easily be done, I will see if I can make a GRF that does that (probably somewhere next week, pretty busy with reallife for the next couple of days), so that at least the runways match. I will also do a version where the entire airport is changed to match the fake-airport tiles.
Projects: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=57266
Screenshots: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=56959
Scenario of The Netherlands: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=87604

Winner of the following screenshot competitions:
sep 2012, jan 2013, apr 2013, aug 2013, mar 2014, mar 2016, oct 2020
All my work is released under GPL-license (either V2 or V3), if not clearly stated otherwise.
luxtram
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by luxtram »

Quast65 wrote:There is a solution and that is changing the actual runway graphics to my runway graphics by a separate GRF.
I just came here to suggest this. :)
Quast65 wrote:That can easily be done, I will see if I can make a GRF that does that (probably somewhere next week, pretty busy with reallife for the next couple of days), so that at least the runways match. I will also do a version where the entire airport is changed to match the fake-airport tiles.
This would be incredibly great!

Are you coding this in NFO or NML?

Is it difficult to create airport with different layout?

Edit: What I think would make airport more customizable would be more bare bones layouts. Without terminal building etc. Longer runways would be also incredibly nice, this would probably require program code change?
dequire
Engineer
Engineer

Post by dequire »

This is pretty amazing. FWIW my vote would be for #3 as well. Keep up the great work on the airborne eye candy!
Quast65
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Quast65 »

luxtram wrote:Are you coding this in NFO or NML?
NFO.
I am not that good a coder. I cant code from scratch, I need examples to look at and from those I can derive what is essential for the thing I want the code to do and I can also derive what I need to change to make the code more "personal" (like ID's, names, etc) but also to expand pieces of code to let them do more things.
In this code case I only have experience with coding in NFO, however it should also be fairly easy to do in NML. As this essentially is what GRFs were designed to do, Graphics Replacement (File) ;-)
In this case of replacing base-graphics with my graphics, I only have examples in NFO, so that is why I will also code this in NFO.
luxtram wrote:Is it difficult to create airport with different layout?
Short answer, yes ;-)
It means program code changes, so basically a patch, cant be done via GRF.
There is work being done regarding this: viewtopic.php?f=33&t=73976
luxtram wrote:What I think would make airport more customizable would be more bare bones layouts. Without terminal building etc.
That can be done via GRF, I already use a GRF for my personal games that does that. See for example this screenshot:
DJ PJ Transport, 2 Jan 2015#2.png
(811.88 KiB) Not downloaded yet
All of the runways (except the diagonal ones) are connected to converted and thus usable airports.
2 issues though:
- Not a major issue, but it should be mentioned, one of the small buildings is also used for the base-set Oil Refinery, replacing that building for the airports will also mean that the building in the oil refinery is changed.
- Replacing the Hangar (the airplane depots so to say), It is rather strange to have those in the middle of a "bare" airport. For my personal games I replace them with a yellow airplane parking spot, that way it looks good, is still easy to find, but it will mean that planes going in and out suddenly dissappear/appear, for me that is a small price to pay ;-)
This GRF I will also release eventually, with a GRF that only replaces the runways. Shall probably be halfway october.
luxtram wrote:Longer runways would be also incredibly nice, this would probably require program code change?
If you want planes to actually use those longer runways, rather than them just being eyecandy, yes ;-) That requires a patch.
dequire wrote:This is pretty amazing. FWIW my vote would be for #3 as well. Keep up the great work on the airborne eye candy!
Thnx! But for now the GRF will stay as it is. Have other stuff to do that has more priority. I may release a version that has the narrower yellow in the future, but it is extremely low on my to-do list :twisted:

All my work is released under GPL-license (either V2 or V3), if not clearly stated otherwise.
LuthorHuss
Engineer
Engineer

Post by LuthorHuss »

Hey Quast65,

that would be nice if you can only change the skin of the airport grf so that it fits to your fake airport tiles :) It would be awesome!! :bow:

I'm looking forward :bow:
Quast65
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Quast65 »

Boffis123 wrote:I downloaded the NewGRF from the Online content in the game, added it to the list of newGRFs I wanted in my game, but in the game there were still the original airports and nothing else, is it somewhere else or do I have to download it from any site on the internet? :bow:
Emperor Jake wrote:Now all I'd like to see is a way to change the real airports to look like these objects so that you can combine them seamlessly, is such a thing already available somewhere?
luxtram wrote:
Quast65 wrote:There is a solution and that is changing the actual runway graphics to my runway graphics by a separate GRF.
I just came here to suggest this. :)
LuthorHuss wrote:that would be nice if you can only change the skin of the airport grf so that it fits to your fake airport tiles
Done :mrgreen:
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=75389

luxtram
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by luxtram »

Quast65 wrote:Done :mrgreen:
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=75389
Cool! :bow:
LuthorHuss
Engineer
Engineer

Post by LuthorHuss »

Nice!! :) I'm so thankful :) Thank you very much! :bow: i'm just testing it :)
The Fox
Engineer
Engineer

Post by The Fox »

Really helps make real airports cooler. Great job!
Attachments
tmp_8493-Screenshot_20161105-1509341627047208.png
(1.21 MiB) Not downloaded yet
STD
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by STD »

Quast65, you plan to make the next version of Fake Airport Objects? What would you like to add? What new features can be included? :)
[OpenTTD] STD screenshots
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[OpenTTD] STD saved games - My finished scenarios and saves from the game
My Youtube channel - OpenTTD | Wiki xUSSR set (RU) | Wiki xUSSR set (EN) | Download the latest version of the xUSSR set
TT Screenshot of the Month - the page editor | Screenshot Of The Month Contest Winner: August 2017

Return to “Graphics Development”