Australian Train Set Stuff

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Australian Train Set Stuff

Post by NekoMaster »

Made this thread here so we could stop hijacking Lachies "New South Wales Rail Set" thread

In reply to GarryG's last post there
GarryG wrote:Another question for you guys. Do you draw the sprites that small to start, or do you make them a bit bigger and shrink them later?
Nope, they're all drawn small which is why they look so pixelated up close.

I've been thinking about maybe doing some more for my Generic Australian Set again, though its a pain in the butt to sprite and I'm lazy. I might just end up pulling some stuff from 2cc set and draw other sprites in 2cc style if I can. This way we ought to get something at least.

ANother major problem with GARS, I don't know how to code (I've tried to learn but even the basics go over my head, just like advanced math and physics), and the current GRF from 2011 was made in GRF Maker, a now very much dead tool that i can't remember how to get working anyways.
Image Proud Canadian Image
Nekomasters Projects! (Downloads available on BaNaNaS!) \(>^w^<)/
# NARS ADD-ON SET 2CC | 2cc Rapid Transit For Me! (2ccRTFM) | 2cc Wagons In NML (2ccWIN)
# NML Category System (Organize your GRFS!) <- TT-Forums Exclusive Download!
GarryG
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Australian Train Set Stuff

Post by GarryG »

I got that head problem too. Find difficult to get the jist what they mean.

I got images of almost all NSW locomotives since 1850s. For a long time NSW imported their engines from the UK, USA and other countries. I notice many locomotives in 2CC from UK and US very simular to some NSW locomotives.

I see what program I have is best to do the sprites and start doing some.
Soot Happens
Screenshot Of The Month Winner March 2020
All my projects are GPLv2 License unless stated.
Auz Road Sets: viewtopic.php?f=29&t=87335
Auz Project Releases: viewtopic.php?f=67&t=84725
Auz Trains: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=74193
Auz Industry Sets: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=74471
Auz Objects: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=75657
Auz Bridges: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=75248
Auz Stations: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=76390
Auz Tracks: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=82691
Auz Subway Stations: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=85335
Auz Eyecandy TramTracks: viewtopic.php?t=89908
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

If you really wanted to be awesome, at least consider 2x zoom level images.
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

GarryG wrote:I got that head problem too. Find difficult to get the jist what they mean.

I got images of almost all NSW locomotives since 1850s. For a long time NSW imported their engines from the UK, USA and other countries. I notice many locomotives in 2CC from UK and US very simular to some NSW locomotives.

I see what program I have is best to do the sprites and start doing some.
Pretty much anything that can draw with pixels works, MS Paint, Photoshop, G.I.M.P, paint.net

GIMP is free and there is a pallet (gpl) file that can be used to load up Transport Tycoon Pallet, this way you also get the proper magic colors that enable things like flashing lights or company color.
# NARS ADD-ON SET 2CC | 2cc Rapid Transit For Me! (2ccRTFM) | 2cc Wagons In NML (2ccWIN)
PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

Post by PikkaBird »

kamnet wrote:If you really wanted to be awesome, at least consider 2x zoom level images.
Indeed. While most people still draw graphics at the original tiny pixelly size, it is possible to draw them at 2x or 4x zoom, which gives you four or sixteen times as many pixels to play with respectively. :)
GarryG
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GarryG »

Thank you all so kindly for the ideas. Been practicing using a sprite from another locomotive to get some ideas. Hope after a few practices, trials and errors, be able to do my own later. Hope the guys who designing the 2cc don't mind me practicing with some of theirs. When I look at the different sprites 2cc has, maybe a good start be something simpler like carriages or freight vehicles. Cheers to you all.
Soot Happens
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Trying to think off the top of my head, i think it's the Polish PBP Set? Working on 1x and 2x zoom sprites, those look fabulous and the proportions are all perfect.
Transportman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Transportman »

GarryG wrote:Thank you all so kindly for the ideas. Been practicing using a sprite from another locomotive to get some ideas. Hope after a few practices, trials and errors, be able to do my own later. Hope the guys who designing the 2cc don't mind me practicing with some of theirs. When I look at the different sprites 2cc has, maybe a good start be something simpler like carriages or freight vehicles. Cheers to you all.
The 2cc-set is GPL v2, so you are free to do with them what you want, as long as you follow the conditions that come with that license (publishing the source if you distribute your work and proper credits are the most important conditions).
Coder of the Dutch Trackset | Development support for the Dutch Trainset | Coder of the 2cc TrainsInNML
GarryG
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GarryG »

Mainly using the 2cc-set as a guide to see how they are drawn. I see 3 sites have done some Australian locomotives, but not much rolling stock, so I think I will start by concentrating on NSW Rolling Stock for my first project. Will contact those at 2cc-set if I finish any.
Soot Happens
GarryG
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GarryG »

How many readers try to make their games look as close as possible to Australian?

I use the Dutch and Hungarian platform sets for single and island platforms. The CS Station set ok for small country platforms. I don't use any double sided platforms as I don't know of any Australian stations like that except for Olympic Park in Sydney. Do you know of any other sets?

Been experimenting using both NuTracks and Finescale Standard gauge set. Finescale replaces the Low Speed in NuTracks. The reason I like to use both is the different Level Crossing available. The first very low speed has just warning signs like we'd normally see on branch lines that are not used much. The second has the gates which was common at a lot of attended stations on both branch and some main lines. A gate keeper would have to open and close the gates when trains due. The other track has the book gates.

Only draw back is if changing from one design to the other as you can see in the diagram. But normally most change of track designs where at junctions, so this is not that noticeable.

So Aussie players and those from other countries who like an Aussie theme, what is your ideas?
Attachments
NuTrack and Finescale.jpg
NuTrack and Finescale.jpg (160.78 KiB) Viewed 683 times
Soot Happens
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

GarryG wrote:How many readers try to make their games look as close as possible to Australian?

I use the Dutch and Hungarian platform sets for single and island platforms. The CS Station set ok for small country platforms. I don't use any double sided platforms as I don't know of any Australian stations like that except for Olympic Park in Sydney. Do you know of any other sets?

Been experimenting using both NuTracks and Finescale Standard gauge set. Finescale replaces the Low Speed in NuTracks. The reason I like to use both is the different Level Crossing available. The first very low speed has just warning signs like we'd normally see on branch lines that are not used much. The second has the gates which was common at a lot of attended stations on both branch and some main lines. A gate keeper would have to open and close the gates when trains due. The other track has the book gates.

Only draw back is if changing from one design to the other as you can see in the diagram. But normally most change of track designs where at junctions, so this is not that noticeable.

So Aussie players and those from other countries who like an Aussie theme, what is your ideas?
If anything, I use to use the finescale tracks as a faux narrow gauge, replacinging very low speed track (and made its max speed about 160 km\h) and made low speed rail the slowest standard gauge rail at 104-120 KM\h)
PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

Post by PikkaBird »

Transportman wrote:(publishing the source if you distribute your work and proper credits are the most important conditions).
Actually, GPL v2 has no attribution/credit requirements. One reason I believe NewGRF authors should write their own custom licences is because that way they will know precisely what those licences actually say. ;)
GarryG
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GarryG »

A lot of thanks go to those who make this game and all the add-ons to improve the way we like to play it.

So I think whenever we upload a scenario, saved game or a screen sho or anything on this website be nice we can give credit to the makers. If not know the maker at least the names of the NewGRFs that we used.
Soot Happens
GarryG
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GarryG »

Hi all, I'm building a scenario that includes the Sy6dney and Newcastle suburban railway in early 1900s starting from 1930. It a slow process for me due to a disability I have, unable sit at computer for long periods. Guess take a week or so before I finish.

The information I been using I found on a CD called "Track and Signal Diagrams". If you want a copy contact the Sydney Railway Shop or ARHS. The disc has images of almost all stations, sidings and signalling throughout NSW.

I thinking of upload what I done to date at hhttp://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=72995 for any one who like to see what been done and maybe continue building and add their own ideas.

So far the scenario includes the following locations placed that was served by rail between Sydney and Newcastle.

I've completed from Sydney all the way to Newcastle included where all the tunnels go and made foundation work where the line follows the river between Hawkesbury River and Gosford.

All the road, river and creek bridges are included. All the road level crossings that I know of have also been included. If I know of any road bridges that used to be a level crossing, I put in the level crossing.

Done the following work: Sydney lines: City Circle, Bankstown Line, Abattoirs line, Carlingford, line, south to Sutherland and Cronulla line, Enfield, Eveleigh and Chullora, west to Granville, Granville to Yennora, Goods line from Wardell Rd to Mungo Scott flour mills.
Newcastle area: Newcastle to Maitland, Toronto line, Belmont line, parts of Port Waratah, Morpeth line, North coast line from Maitland to as far as Gloucester.

Some locations I been putting roads in to mark where the railways lines are meant to go as can not, or at least I don't know how to show where the railway lines should go when building a scenario. Roads need deleting when scenario is finished or start in a game and use the cheat to have lots of money to bulldoze them as you build the railways.

Industries as far as possible have been placed where they used to be from the 1930s. Some industries that was served by rail only show a name and not what they produced, so I been putting what might have been there.

The NewGRF files I used for the scenario, am I allowed to bundle them in one zip file and put them on here for people to access? Where ever possible the files contains the licence that came with the file when I downloaded them.

The files needed are listed on the "Want to building a scenerio Newcastle Australia" forum.

If interested let me know.
Soot Happens
GarryG
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GarryG »

I haven't given up with the idea of drawing some sprites of NSW rolling stock, I had some practise and now waiting till I get back home next month where I have access to images and pictures of NSW rolling stock and other information to help me with the drawings.

For now I busy designing a scenario from Newcastle. A sample if available for editing and playing at http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php? ... =newcastle

Posted my latest yesterday.
Soot Happens
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

GarryG wrote:I haven't given up with the idea of drawing some sprites of NSW rolling stock, I had some practise and now waiting till I get back home next month where I have access to images and pictures of NSW rolling stock and other information to help me with the drawings.

For now I busy designing a scenario from Newcastle. A sample if available for editing and playing at http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php? ... =newcastle

Posted my latest yesterday.
I'd actually like to see someone make more australian stuff for OpenTTD, though if you can, it'd be nice if we could get a set that has company colour support based on real life themes. I can't stop people from going for realistic liveries but it'd be nice as a extra or if someone made the sprites as if they where unpainted like the templates used for World Aircraft Set, and let others add new liveries or company color. I've done some company color stuff and its not that hard, as you saw in my Generic Australian Rail Set.

THeres just something about having real life rolling stock in your own color that make it feel like yours, though some times I don't mind playing with real life liveries if I wanna say, play as Canadian Pacific in Canada, or Union Pacific in USA.
GarryG
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GarryG »

You will have to explain to me how to make them so can use the games company colours.

I done some side drawings of carriages and a bit of practise with angle pics.

Colours for NSW freight rolling stock mostly a black or a dirty grey, when I worked for them in the 1970s and 80s, not had much colour scheme. Later some open wagon where a blue.

Back home I have a book with plans of all freight wagons, hoping this will help me draw the sprites.

Passenger carriages were a maroon with yellow strip until they changed it to what was called a candy colour. Only other colour was silver for the stainless steel.

Hope by mid-July I can start doing some.
Soot Happens
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

GarryG wrote:You will have to explain to me how to make them so can use the games company colours.

I done some side drawings of carriages and a bit of practise with angle pics.

Colours for NSW freight rolling stock mostly a black or a dirty grey, when I worked for them in the 1970s and 80s, not had much colour scheme. Later some open wagon where a blue.

Back home I have a book with plans of all freight wagons, hoping this will help me draw the sprites.

Passenger carriages were a maroon with yellow strip until they changed it to what was called a candy colour. Only other colour was silver for the stainless steel.

Hope by mid-July I can start doing some.
Company color 1 and colour 2 are done through a specific color in the sprits

refer to this : http://newgrf-specs.tt-wiki.net/wiki/Fi ... owspal.png
GarryG
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GarryG »

NekoMaster wrote:Company color 1 and colour 2 are done through a specific color in the sprits

If I read the codes correct .. Company Colour 1 is blues and colour 2 is greens.
Which means if I was doing a passenger carriage. The main colour maroon would be a blue and where the yellow strip goes be the green?
Soot Happens
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

GarryG wrote:
NekoMaster wrote:Company color 1 and colour 2 are done through a specific color in the sprits

If I read the codes correct .. Company Colour 1 is blues and colour 2 is greens.
Which means if I was doing a passenger carriage. The main colour maroon would be a blue and where the yellow strip goes be the green?
Pretty much, its pretty easy to do so long as you don't use the wrong blues or greens.

If anything I'd say if your going to do a train set, work on what you wanna do first, in this case realistic liveries, and then, MAYBE, if your still able to, perhaps do company colour so that people like me can play as their own company. Its also nice to have your own company colours as some real life railroads mix up their colours, especially for new engines and cars, or special services like heavy or express freight and express/high speed passenger. And then theres companies that change colour over time, like New South Wales railroads, or VIA Rail in Canada, or Amtrak in USA

Return to “Graphics Development”