Kamnet's Stats Shack - STILL HIRING ARTISTS!

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

piratescooby
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Re: Kamnet's Stats Shack - STILL HIRING ARTISTS!

Post by piratescooby »

Surf-to-Turf Transport yes please , would be great on games with loads of islands .
Attachments
funday.jpg
(1.78 MiB) Not downloaded yet
funday1.jpg
(1.64 MiB) Not downloaded yet
Kruemelchen
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Kruemelchen »

I'll join forces ( :lol: ) where I can.

I'd like to cover both amphibious off-road vehicles, as well as buses and small trucks in a GRF I'd contribute to. However, I won't be doing any military vehicle and won't want to include such in one GRF with civilian vehicles I made if that'd be okay ...

Best thing would be to choose a few representative vehicles and a basic set of generations, where applicable. I could then draw or code some of them. (Though drawing really is super easy with Richard Wheelers Pixel Tool ...)

My thoughts were:
1. heavy load off-road (would be slow)
2. medium load off-road
3. bus
4. medium truck
5. taxi / express truck

And maybe a generation change after 20~50 years?

On top of that one could still add other / special vehicles one likes to include.

PS: you may include all amphibious vehicles of my SUV set (which is only one, at the moment)
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Kruemelchen wrote:I'd like to cover both amphibious off-road vehicles, as well as buses and small trucks in a GRF I'd contribute to. However, I won't be doing any military vehicle and won't want to include such in one GRF with civilian vehicles I made if that'd be okay
You're free to choose anything you want to go in your set. I'm simply getting the ball rolling by providing as much information about the vehicles as I can and do the leg work on "real world" stats. As an artist you design what you want, as a coder you code what you want, and likely any of the stats I provide will still need to be tweaked to balance between what was real and what's best for playing the game.

With that said, don't shy away from the military vehicles. I try to stick with vehicles that came in non-armed, unarmored versions. In nearly all of these vehicles the modification is simply removal of weapons and turrets, and many of those were sold as surplus to the general public once the military was done with them. And in quite a few cases the manufacturer also sells these same, unarmed vehicles to civilians as well. Give these guys a tune-up and a fun coat of paint. :)
Quast65
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Quast65 »

don't shy away from the military vehicles. I try to stick with vehicles that came in non-armed, unarmored versions
I agree.
Vehicles like the:
DUKW
DUKW.jpg
DUKW.jpg (205.77 KiB) Viewed 5519 times
Amphibious Jeep
JEEP.jpg
JEEP.jpg (569.63 KiB) Viewed 5519 times
The German Schwimmwagen
VW_Schwimmwagen_1.jpg
VW_Schwimmwagen_1.jpg (193.93 KiB) Viewed 5519 times
And I believe loads were developed during the Soviet era in Russia.
You could offer the military livery as a parameter...

EDIT: I saw you already have these in your spreadsheet ;-) Ahh well, pictures, always nice :mrgreen:
Projects: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=57266
Screenshots: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=56959
Scenario of The Netherlands: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=87604

Winner of the following screenshot competitions:
sep 2012, jan 2013, apr 2013, aug 2013, mar 2014, mar 2016, oct 2020
All my work is released under GPL-license (either V2 or V3), if not clearly stated otherwise.
Kruemelchen
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Kruemelchen »

It is just my personal preference of pacifist beliefs, plus, TTD is still a civil transportation game :P

I've already jumped into that dilemma since some of the vehicles I cover with my SUV set have been used by military or secret service. I came to the conclusion to avoid some of these vehicles, even though I'd miss out certain very powerful trucks. Vehicles mainly designed for civilian use are totally fine for me, though. Only vehicles which were designed exclusively for military use personally give me the shivers, so I personally avoid them.

While the bare vehicle can't be made responsible for its usage, ihmo I think it's best to avoid them.

PS: I know many people have different (i.e. more relaxed) standpoints regarding military. I totally respect that and am just throwing in my personal opinion :)

---

To be clear, I think there's nothing wrong with mere transporters, though I very prefer civilian design :wink:
Quast65
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Quast65 »

I see your point and totally respect that!

Then, I would like to nominate the Top Gear HoverVan
Hovervan-1_2641659b.jpg
Hovervan-1_2641659b.jpg (129.7 KiB) Viewed 5505 times
Projects: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=57266
Screenshots: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=56959
Scenario of The Netherlands: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=87604

Winner of the following screenshot competitions:
sep 2012, jan 2013, apr 2013, aug 2013, mar 2014, mar 2016, oct 2020
All my work is released under GPL-license (either V2 or V3), if not clearly stated otherwise.
Supercheese
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Supercheese »

Quast65 wrote:Then, I would like to nominate the Top Gear HoverVan
Brilliant! :lol:
Eyecandy Road Vehicles | Fake Subways | Supercheese's NewObjects

"Fashions and cultures change, but steam trains shall always be majestic."
-Professor Hershel Layton
Kruemelchen
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Kruemelchen »

That one looks fun :D

Here comes a medium sized vanair vanguard hovercraft:
a preview in 2X zoom
a preview in 2X zoom
vanair_vangarde.png (4.82 KiB) Viewed 5480 times
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by andythenorth »

For what it's worth, I wouldn't include military vehicles in grfs I make, but there are multiple ships in FISH (Porcupine 3) that are military derived, and I have no problem doing that :)

- Porcupine 30 is a straight copy of a US LACV 30
- Labrador utility vessel is inspired by US Army T boat
- the hydrofoils are civilian versions derived from military prototypes (both US and USSR)

I'm not much for 1:1 realism, most of FISH is made up :) But eh.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

piratescooby wrote:Surf-to-Turf Transport yes please , would be great on games with loads of islands .
Quast65 wrote:Then, I would like to nominate the Top Gear HoverVan
Bikes? Vans with balloons? Pft, that's amateur hour. Let's get serious!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKY6qr3P4bQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPajZ7GDb4g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTJUMOzx_zE
acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by acs121 »

How about the AmphiCoach GTS-1 ?
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

acs121 wrote:How about the AmphiCoach GTS-1 ?
It's included. So far I've only found 4 amphibious buses. Specs are hard to come by since there are only a few known models before the company behind it was sold to a private consortium that doesn't appear to be actively building or promoting it.
acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by acs121 »

kamnet wrote:
acs121 wrote:How about the AmphiCoach GTS-1 ?
It's included. So far I've only found 4 amphibious buses. Specs are hard to come by since there are only a few known models before the company behind it was sold to a private consortium that doesn't appear to be actively building or promoting it.
Sorry. Didn't see it last time i checked.
Generally amphibious buses aren't even produced in series like other bus types. They are built, and stand there for tourists. It's all.
kamnet

Re: Amphibious Road Vehicles

Post by kamnet »

The staats sheets are continuously updated. This afternoon I dived in and found specs for 8 series of buses, as well as two amphibious ships. There's a few more that I have very incomplete specs for as well. The cars & trucks also got a few additions for some fun eyecandy.

One area I've been wanting to research for awhile are aerosanis - predominant in Russia and Nordic states. They're mostly small vehicles that look resemble the size of snowmobiles but are much more useful, hauling several passengers or between 350kg-1000kg of cargo, able to traverse off-road snow, marshes and shallow waters. I'm also considering looking at snowcats and other non-amphibious off-road vehicles but that might be for a more generalized off-road vehicle set. In fact, all of that might be a whole new stats sheet. :)
acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by acs121 »

How about KM-5 and OSGA-6 aerosanis ?
kamnet

Suspended Monorail Vehicle Set

Post by kamnet »

Suspended Monorail Vehicle Set
This is my first work of fictionalized(-ish) vehicles.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... baHFrf3Bw/

Suspended Monorail Vehicle Set is a proposed expansion of the vehicles available in Zepherys' Urban Suspended Monorail and the recently updated Suspended Monorail 2.0 NewGRF sets. These are tram types that replace trams with a suspended monorail, and perhaps down the road available as a separate tram type under the proposed NotRoadTypes / Road and Tram Type (RATT) modification.

These vehicles are somewhat fictional, with their looks and stats based on real-world trams. I am developing three categories of vehicles which will encourage different types of playing style.

High-Speed Passenger Urban Transport: These are mainly inspired by vehicles found on Germany's Wuppertal Schwebebahn and Japan's Shonan Monorail systems. These two systems are classified as urban transportation systems and are meant to compete with trains and buses. It will be highly suggested that these vehicles be used on a network that DOES NOT allow for roads and road vehicles to operate underneath it, otherwise the suspended monorail vehicles will be bogged down by road traffic, congestion, and slower speed vehicles. You will want to consider building bridges over any intersection with roads and rails to prevent level crossings.

Low Speed Passenger Urban Transport: These vehicles will be smaller, lighter, carry fewer passengers and lower speeds compared to high-speed urban transport, but will still compete with road vehicles. These are suitable for mixing with road and tram traffic. These are inspired by the Siemens Hängebahn Monorail system in Germany and the Uemo Zoo monorail line in Japan.

Cargo Transport: These will be somewhat based on conversions of passenger vehicles. For now these will resemble boxcar and container cars, we may consider developing some specialized vehicles as well.

These vehicles span from 1885 through 2050, greatly extending the usefulness of the Urban Suspended Monorail.

Artists are welcomed to start drawing vehicles now based on the information I've provided. Coding will come together later as we are still working through things.
jimbob
Engineer
Engineer

Post by jimbob »

Hi Kamnet, Id be happy to model up some of these vehicles if anyone can find any blueprints for them. Do you have a shortlist for the most desired vehicles?

Here are a number of train models I have made from blueprints: https://sketchfab.com/alexdawn

I dont know how to code GRFs but I would be happy to generate the sprites if anyone wants the models.
Real life transport planner
My projects:Link to my UK Scenario|Scenario Builder GS
Do check out my 3D unity transport game: transporter
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

So the last day or so I've been revamping a document I started working on last year.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

This covers the following types of vehicles:

Personal Rapid Transit (PRT) and Group Rapid Transit (GRT): Small systems that carry less than 40 passengers in a single vehicle, mostly single cars.

Automated Guideway Transit (GRT): Trains composed of various non-rail technology and motive to transport larger groups of passengers more frequently, with trains in a consist of 2-8 vehicles.

Japanese New Transportation Systems (NTS): Japan's unique industry standards for AGT that developed independently from other systems. These are all rubber tyred vehicles in trains of 2-6 vehicles, most of them are completely automated, most of them use bogies for guidance, but a few use a dedicated rail or humans for driving.

Rubber-Tyred Metros (RTMs): A very powerful, metro-quality system, some automated and some are not. Two major systems are Michelin (Paris Metro, for example) and VAL, and operate either as subways or elevated guideways.

These would make fun additions either as a railtype or a tramtype.
acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by acs121 »

How yes. I can make all the french VALs and Paris Metros too, if you want.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

acs121 wrote:How yes. I can make all the french VALs and Paris Metros too, if you want.
Absolutely, go for it!

Return to “Graphics Development”