Re: Texturing help --> I would like to debate over a questio

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

masterus
Engineer
Engineer

Re: Texturing help --> I would like to debate over a questio

Post by masterus »

Hi,

First thanks I love pixel art, you guys make a wonderful work, and you make a work as good as those who've been practising for years.

Secondly I would like to create a debate but before I would like to discuss about it
This is about the OpenTTD color palette, I heard now we can use all the colors not only those from the standard TTD palette Image

Here's the debate
I would like to discuss about a new color palette or coloring rules
I learned recently that we do no longer have to use the old TTD Palette which had a limited number of colors.
As you know there is another “pixel styled” game which's named simutrans, I dislike it for myself when it comes to the color palette, because it's really pale and I really like the OpenTTD cartoon like color palette.
I've tried to think about it, how can we keep a pixel like game with the tipical Cartoon palette.

We can discuss a new “”sort of coloring palette”” which could be detailled but would keep the cartoon color palette
Let say we only use tens number here is an exemple (Red Green Blue colouring code) 190,180,170
So you can use the official colors as for making a bus or trains just go on the company site to pick up the colors, let's say it's 192,168,88 → it will be 190,170,90 in our palettte

But why using tens numbers ?

Here's why
The main problem with drawing something is making two sort of colors (some use three):
-one for the face of the object in front of the sun \
-another for the face which do not face the sun /
-somes add one for the one not directly facing the sun __
As of now people used the TTD color palette and try to make the shading as they could, now we have a full palette but if we try to keep the toon palette then I propose to use those round number let say 200.150.90 and -30 for the dark face → 170,120,60

I've tried to do this with somes exemples

It's explains a little more the tens color palette
colorrule.png
colorrule.png (20.12 KiB) Viewed 957 times
There is little to no difference between the original on the right and the tens (-30 for dark on the right)
Please ask me if you didn't understood what I mean
If I resume, now we can use all the possible color, but I choose only to use tens colors so we can have a standard palette and it's easier for shadind our work
If you have comments don't hesistate
I'll post it on the forum to open the debat but if you can help me for now don't hesistate

Regards,
Masterus

Return to “Graphics Development”