Development of polroad set

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Wahazar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Development of polroad set

Post by Wahazar »

In this thread I would like to present some development snapshots of new polroad newgrf, which is continuation of Polish Road Set created by Sojita by means of grfmaker.

This newgrf is created in NML under GPL2 licence and is intended to include wide range of popular road vehicles, which real prototypes are/were produced/assembled in Poland, or imported and used in Poland. Set should be compatible temperate, arctic and tropical climate, as well as with custom industry sets (FIRS, ECS and others).

EDIT:
Currently urban, local and intercity buses as well as vans, minibuses, trucks and tractors are presented, including horse carriages, articulated or not:
Image Image Image

Snapshots are downloadable from http://dev.openttdcoop.org/projects/polroad/files
and stable versions is available via on-line content.

Tracking table with planned and implemented vehicles is available here:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

Some important notes:
  • General purposes trucks and semi-trailer tractors are intended to carry ANY available cargo. I don't like huge list and frequent advertisements of different RV subtypes, instead of this, you can buy engine with chassis and pay coachbuilder additional fee for refitting to appropriate body (in case of integrated trucks) or pay maintenance fee for changing semi-trailers.
  • Currently I'm using special GEAR cargo to distinguish between refitted/not refitted truck or tractor unit with/without semi-trailer. I'm aware that it is not good feature - if you encounter any problems or interference with industry newgrf, please pull polroad newgrf beyond industry newgrf. In this case, GEAR will be overwritten by industry cargo slot. Another known problem is RCG game script which does not recognize GEAR cargo as valid one. In future I will replace GEAR by other mechanism.
EDIT: GEAR removed, cargo subtype is used instead.
  • Trucks and semi-trailers have different types of body for different cargo subtypes. Refitting between different body types is possible only in depot and additional fee must be payed. Refitting without change of body is free of charge and can be done at the station.
    Cargo refit scheme is presented on the "openttd refit scheme" sheet included in tracking table google spreadsheet linked above.
  • Instead of standard openttd cargo capacity conversion, cargo weight and maximal vehicle load is used to calculate refitted capacity.
    For example, truck with 5 t maxload can carry:
    • 5 t of coal
    • 20 bags of mail
    • 10 crates of goods
    • 8 crates of FIRS engineering supplies, etc.
    There were two reasons of such feature: predetermine RVs (especially early one) to carry smallwares, whereas trains are better for bulks, and keep loaded RV weight constant regardless of cargo unit weight.
  • Because real maxloads are small compared to openttd needs, by default these maxloads are doubled, for example instead of 5 t, truck can carry 10 t.It There is newgrf parameter responsible for setting maxload to real one, doubled or tripled, however tripled one must to be used with caution, especially if realistic acceleration and sharp slope are involved.
  • RVs are sorted into following groups:
    • van/minibus - can carry mail, can be refitted to passengers, mail or CC_EXPRESS, CC_ARMOURED cargo class
    • pickup/cargo van - can carry goods, can be refitted to passengers, mail, CC_ARMOURED or CC_PIECE_GOODS (excluding WOOD, WDPR and CC_OVERSIZED) cargo class
    • general purpose truck - need to be refitted before departure, can be refitted to all cargo classes except CC_PASSENGERS
    • semi-trailer truck - can carry goods, can be refitted to all cargo classes except CC_ARMOURED and CC_PASSENGERS, body refit scheme as for general cargo truck
    • log trailer truck - specialized vehicle, can carry WOOD
    • special semi-trailer truck - can carry goods, can be refitted to all cargo classes except WOOD, CC_ARMOURED and CC_PASSENGERS. Semitrailers have increased capacity and load/unload speed at the expense of narrowed possibility of free refit (less universal than for standard semi-trailer truck)
    • farm tractors - slow vehicle, but can carry up to 40 tons of CC_BULK class, or some livestock, passengers or CC_OVERSIZED, with autorefit option
    • Besides those groups, there is single GMC CCKW truck, which can carry any cargo, including passengers, with autorefit option. These ex-US Army truck were widely used in post-war Poland, including regular passenger services
  • Some vehicles can carry both passengers or cargo with autorefit option, which is sometimes convenient and gives opportunity to reduce empty runs, however, to avoid warning messages and autoreplace problems, every scheduled stops need to be a multi-stops (cargo+passenger stations).
  • Because bulk cargo is recolored to avoid huge number of sprites, it is not possible to support all combination of bulk and company colors.
    Project is using its own pseudo-2cc color scheme. Second company color (used for some tarpaulins, stakes and some other details) depend on first color, for example GREEN/GRAY, DARK GREEN/BROWN, BLUE/YELLOW etc.
    First color hue differs slightly from original ones, to avoid "unreal" colors like for example pink
Image below is an example of normal semi-trailer truck and specialized semi-trailer truck refitted to different FIRS cargoes:
DAF XF105 and Volvo FH12 refitted to some FIRS cargoes
DAF XF105 and Volvo FH12 refitted to some FIRS cargoes
semitrailer-refits.png (6.86 KiB) Viewed 19100 times
EDIT: Project is open for translation now.
If you found any grammar or terminology errors please do not hesitate to ask me for correction.
Last edited by Wahazar on 17 Nov 2015 12:24, edited 3 times in total.
Formerly known as: McZapkie
Projects: Reproducible Map Generation patch, NewGRFs: Manpower industries, PolTrams, Polroad, 600mm narrow gauge, wired, ECS industry extension, V4 CEE train set, HotHut.
Another favorite games: freeciv longturn, OHOL/2HOL.
Digitalfox
Chief Executive
Chief Executive
Location: Catch the Fox if you can... Almost 20 years and counting!

Re: Development of polroad set

Post by Digitalfox »

Looks great :)
Emperor Jake
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Emperor Jake »

Finally, more FIRS-compatible trucks that aren't eGRVTS! :D

EDIT: I've noticed this is the only company coloured set that doesn't work with NewCC (apart form Pineapple Trains). Do you actually provide unique sprites for each company colour? or do you provide your own recolour sprites?
Last edited by Emperor Jake on 03 Mar 2015 11:19, edited 1 time in total.
LicTor
Engineer
Engineer

Post by LicTor »

very nice! ;)
V453000 :)
President
President

Post by V453000 :) »

Steam tractors! :D
ImageImageImage
Wahazar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wahazar »

Steam tractors will be reworked - larger amount of cargo would be taken (albeit longer trains).
Real HCP tractors were able to pull up to 60 tons of load.

Meanwhile one of the horse "gear" - four beat gait (walk):
horsewalk4bg.gif
horsewalk4bg.gif (403 Bytes) Viewed 18811 times
Projects: Reproducible Map Generation patch, NewGRFs: Manpower industries, PolTrams, Polroad, 600mm narrow gauge, wired, ECS industry extension, V4 CEE train set, HotHut.
Wahazar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wahazar »

Finally I quitted usage of GEAR pseudo-cargo due to compatibility problems, for example with game scripts.
Subtype+cargo type is now used to choose truck body/trailer type - truck can be refitted to other cargo for free if body is not changed.

Truck pool is already finished (maybe some skippers will be added):

Some horse carriages are available from 1700, they are not much useless due to their low capacity and speed, however they are not indented to be used instead of trains or ships, rather for small feeders, short transfer routes etc. helper services.
Horse carts can carry almost everything and can be autorefitted for free, which can help with better balance of return trips.

Nest station: buses.
Wahazar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wahazar »

Finally almost all buses are coded:

Buses are grouped into four tiers: urban, articulated urban, local (suburban) and long distance (intercity).
Cargo aging depend on sitting places to total capacity ratio (additional bonuses - AC, lowered floor etc. are also counted).
Load/unload speed depend on total doors size and percentage of lowered floor.

Some other interesting features are:
smoke is not emitted by vehicles purchased after 1990, if reliability is greater than 70 %,
for local and long distance buses, ECS tourists capacity equal to number of sitting places.

There is option to exclude/include buses, truck or slow vehicles (horses and farm tractors) therefore one can use this set supplementary for other sets.
Wahazar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wahazar »

Version 1.9 is available online.
There are only two new vehicles - stage coach and droshky (fiacre) - but now horse carriages pool is completed in my opinion.

Important change is treatment of old vehicles.
All postwar vehicles (excluding farm tractors and some early prototypes) have reliability decay decreased - old vehicle reliability is not dropping so quickly, therefore is not so faulty and is not blocking street, which usually annoy other users.
Additionally there is about 10 years of reliability protection (early retirement) for vehicles no more available.
To balance such improvement, running costs slowly increase if vehicle age is beyond its life limits.
Normal vehicle have variable running costs proportional to square of velocity, with constant pedestal.
This pedestal is increasing for very old vehicles.
I'm now testing it in MP environment.
Wahazar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wahazar »

Finally version 2.0 - refit scheme for general trucks/semi-trailers was totally rewritten.
I decided to abandon idea with partially available refit and body view depending on already refitted cargo class.
It was too much erroneous.
Instead of this, different subtype can be defined during refit, for example box, flat, mail van, tanker, reefer etc.
Station autorefit is available for each subtype, albeit some cargoes capacity are zeroed - obviously you cannot transport wood logs inside tanker.
You can set order to refit, but resulting capacity would be 0, therefore vehicle will be not stuck due to erroneous full load order.

Different subtypes have different properties. The most common is first one, box with optional tarpaulin/curtains - it can carry every kind of cargo,
but capacity is sometimes reduced.
Other subtypes offer higher capacity for limited cargo classes set.

Here is example, how it works:
refit polroad v.2.0
refit polroad v.2.0
polroad-refit2.jpg (104.31 KiB) Viewed 17921 times
Wood can be transported in universal low-sided box, but higher amount fit into flatbed with stakes.
Oil can be transported in tanker, or (smaller amount) in barrels loaded into universal low-sided box.
Reefer body/trailer decrease decay of cargo aging.

Teaser version is located in files section:
http://dev.openttdcoop.org/projects/polroad/files

Project is now open for translations.
STD
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by STD »

Thank you for the work on this set. Yesterday I downloaded and checked. Looks very cool. :)) I was pleased that there is a transport in an earlier time period, when the first ship available. This is the first thing I want to say.
And the second is thank you for what you have combined trucks and passenger in one set. as it was originally :)) .
If I notice mistakes, I will write about them. And make screenshots. :)
[OpenTTD] STD screenshots
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[OpenTTD] STD saved games - My finished scenarios and saves from the game
My Youtube channel - OpenTTD | Wiki xUSSR set (RU) | Wiki xUSSR set (EN) | Download the latest version of the xUSSR set
TT Screenshot of the Month - the page editor | Screenshot Of The Month Contest Winner: August 2017
alluke
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by alluke »

May I ask what is Scania S4? I've never heard of those before.
Wahazar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wahazar »

STD wrote:thank you for what you have combined trucks and passenger in one set. as it was originally :)) .
Thanks for any support. First version has truck only because I've done some experiments with universal truck refits and it was easier to maintain truck only (and bus only grf exists also). Now it is almost finished and therefore I integrated it al together.
by the way, there is option to disable some groups of RVs.
alluke wrote:May I ask what is Scania S4? I've never heard of those before.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scania_4-series (in Polish it is called 'Seria 4')
alluke
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by alluke »

McZapkie wrote:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scania_4-series (in Polish it is called 'Seria 4')
Okay. Then the truck should be called "Scania 144c" according to the stats.

Also, Volvo with 16 liter engine is called "FH16".
STD
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by STD »

McZapkie wrote:
STD wrote:thank you for what you have combined trucks and passenger in one set. as it was originally :)) .
Thanks for any support. First version has truck only because I've done some experiments with universal truck refits and it was easier to maintain truck only (and bus only grf exists also). Now it is almost finished and therefore I integrated it al together.
by the way, there is option to disable some groups of RVs.

Yeah, I saw this option. Do you still plan to add something to the set?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Youtube channel - OpenTTD | Wiki xUSSR set (RU) | Wiki xUSSR set (EN) | Download the latest version of the xUSSR set
TT Screenshot of the Month - the page editor | Screenshot Of The Month Contest Winner: August 2017
Wahazar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wahazar »

alluke wrote: Okay. Then the truck should be called "Scania 144c" according to the stats.
Also, Volvo with 16 liter engine is called "FH16".
Thanks, I would appreciate any comments, because cars are not my hobby and therefore I have no knowledge about.
Scania renamed, FH13 have corrected stats.
STD wrote: Do you still plan to add something to the set?
From the gameplay point of view, I miss non-articulated trucks for bulk load - some 6 and 8 axle dumpers (for example Kamaz, Actros etc).
Some modern RV's (hybrid and electric buses, Iveco pickups, MAN trucks) are also needed.
STD
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by STD »

Looking forward to the next update of this set. :))
Very well, there is such a wide variety of sets of trucks, cars, trams for OpenTTD. :D
Wahazar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wahazar »

I have idea to make truck with container trailer, with autorefit option to any covered piece goods or mail, something like:
http://www.erturkplastik.com/en/Cabin-I ... 0c102.html
but I'm not sure if such set exist really and which engine is used for?
Valle
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Valle »

McZapkie wrote:I have idea to make truck with container trailer, with autorefit option to any covered piece goods or mail, something like:
http://www.erturkplastik.com/en/Cabin-I ... 0c102.html
but I'm not sure if such set exist really and which engine is used for?
Those are swap bodies and DHL indeed uses them in real life. Here are a few more pictures.
Wahazar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wahazar »

Version 2.1 is was uploaded to bananas.
New vans (Mercedes Vario, Iveco Daily IV), MAN container truck mentioned above, Star TGL truck (MAN licence), different trailer livery for DAF semi-trailers.
Polish and Croatian translation is also included.

Return to “Graphics Development”