[OTTD] City Objects & Extras

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

flogeza
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

[OTTD] City Objects & Extras

Post by flogeza »

City Objects
Version: 1.4
-Buildings
-Tiles/Decorations
-Landmarks
-Canals
-Footbridges
-Billboards
-and more
COv1.4.GRF
(816.14 KiB) Downloaded 140 times
City Objects Extras
Version: 2.0
-parks
-buildings
-decorations
-landmarks
COextrasv2.0.GRF
(817.91 KiB) Downloaded 156 times
concox.PNG
(683.14 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Last edited by flogeza on 28 Mar 2023 19:58, edited 9 times in total.
adpro
Engineer
Engineer

Re: [OTTD] City Objects & Extras

Post by adpro »

Nice objects. However, I have suggestions for adjustments. They relate to CVN-68 Nimitz and R09 Prince of Wales. Flight deck of R09 is very bright, original flight deck is darker (https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/our-organi ... e-of-wales). And identification letter P is in real before first line, you have it before 2nd line. P letter could be closer to start of flight deck. https://www.navylookout.com/one-of-the- ... -of-wales/
I didn’t find photo with red-white line on landing deck of CVN-68. All photos I found was with yellow-white line on landing deck. And catapults can be made like dark line in the middle and bright line around it. Catapult line is very wide now with one color.
Otherwise ships are great, good work.
adpro | NewGRF Military Items project
flogeza
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by flogeza »

dares wrote: 11 Aug 2021 07:01 Otherwise ships are great, good work.

Thanks.

dares wrote: 11 Aug 2021 07:01 Flight deck of R09 is very bright, original flight deck is darker (https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/our-organi ... e-of-wales). And identification letter P is in real before first line, you have it before 2nd line. P letter could be closer to start of flight deck. https://www.navylookout.com/one-of-the- ... -of-wales/

So they aren't identical to those ships in real life, like their names's says "Nimitz class aircr... and Queen Elizabeth class...". I need to draw things like the "P" mark, and the deck color to fit in. P's position was chosen bc if Im placing the plane towards the tower,so placing the "P" in the original place, it looks soo packed there. Also in case I need to change something on the ship, easier to do if the plane isn't there. AND I wanted to show the mark( its an interesting thing to draw) - design choice

Deck's color is the same, there aren't many colors to choose from, so if I want the deck to fit with the towers and the ramp, and skipping tones for shadows, I need to choose that color with that tone. - design choice

dares wrote: 11 Aug 2021 07:01 I didn’t find photo with red-white line on landing deck of CVN-68. All photos I found was with yellow-white line on landing deck. And catapults can be made like dark line in the middle and bright line around it. Catapult line is very wide now with one color.
The red white thing fits better with those colors, than the yellow, also you are the first who noticed it and told it to me. - I can recolor it to yellow, but it looks worse.

The catapul was made with more "texture on it", that thing is 3 pixels wide, if I want a solid line in there I need to widen it or It will look more cartoonish, just like it's runway. So I made a compromise. - design choice

Also please consider that, I need to do these in a minimum time with the best outcome as possible.
If you make corrections for these what you listed, and they look better. I can make it into the GRF.
adpro
Engineer
Engineer

Post by adpro »

flogeza wrote: 11 Aug 2021 13:43
dares wrote: 11 Aug 2021 07:01 Flight deck of R09 is very bright, original flight deck is darker (https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/our-organi ... e-of-wales). And identification letter P is in real before first line, you have it before 2nd line. P letter could be closer to start of flight deck. https://www.navylookout.com/one-of-the- ... -of-wales/

So they aren't identical to those ships in real life, like their names's says "Nimitz class aircr... and Queen Elizabeth class...". I need to draw things like the "P" mark, and the deck color to fit in. P's position was chosen bc if Im placing the plane towards the tower,so placing the "P" in the original place, it looks soo packed there. Also in case I need to change something on the ship, easier to do if the plane isn't there. AND I wanted to show the mark( its an interesting thing to draw) - design choice

Deck's color is the same, there aren't many colors to choose from, so if I want the deck to fit with the towers and the ramp, and skipping tones for shadows, I need to choose that color with that tone. - design choice

If they are not identical with those ships, my suggestion is not to use the designation for a specific ship, ie. do not use either the Q or P character and use another character that is not used in the fleet. This will not evoke a particular ship, which Q and P do. Then it is not a problem to put this character elsewhere than in the original. Then it is more clear that the graphics are based on Queen Elizabeth class motifs and not a copy of the original. At least for me.
flogeza wrote: 11 Aug 2021 13:43
dares wrote: 11 Aug 2021 07:01 I didn’t find photo with red-white line on landing deck of CVN-68. All photos I found was with yellow-white line on landing deck. And catapults can be made like dark line in the middle and bright line around it. Catapult line is very wide now with one color.
The red white thing fits better with those colors, than the yellow, also you are the first who noticed it and told it to me. - I can recolor it to yellow, but it looks worse.

The catapul was made with more "texture on it", that thing is 3 pixels wide, if I want a solid line in there I need to widen it or It will look more cartoonish, just like it's runway. So I made a compromise. - design choice

My personal opinion is different, I like the original combination more, but you are the author, it's finally your decision. I respect that.

You're right, drawing a catapult in such a small space is a problem, I know what it's about. I had in mind a solution like I have at airports aka the aircraft carriers Charles de Gaulle (R91) or USS Enterprise (CVAN-65) in Military Items newgrf, where the medium is darker and the edge lighter, see the picture.
cvn65_and_r91_catapults.png
cvn65_and_r91_catapults.png (18.62 KiB) Viewed 10702 times
flogeza wrote: 11 Aug 2021 13:43 Also please consider that, I need to do these in a minimum time with the best outcome as possible.
If you make corrections for these what you listed, and they look better. I can make it into the GRF.
You speak to me from the bottom of my heart, I fully understand.
If I have some time, then I'll try to modify the catapult, but now I'm focusing on a new version of Military Items newgrf, so it probably won't be in the near future.
adpro | NewGRF Military Items project
flogeza
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by flogeza »

- Good idea to make new signs for them, I'll make the new ones with fictional signs/marks.

- The problem with the catapult is the different rotation from +/- 45 degree.
flogeza
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by flogeza »

CO Extras 1.5 uploaded.
Attachments
cox1.5.PNG
cox1.5.PNG (72.6 KiB) Viewed 9789 times
temporal8
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by temporal8 »

Nice, these objects are some of the most used in my maps. Great work.
Real Projects 32bpp releases:

Real Semi Trucks 32bpp: viewtopic.php?t=90996
Real Houses Eyecandy Objects 32bp: viewtopic.php?t=90767
Real Ships 32bpp: viewtopic.php?t=90733
Real Industries 32bpp: viewtopic.php?t=90183
Real Houses Townset 32bp: viewtopic.php?p=1254605
Real Stations 32bpp: viewtopic.php?p=1255635
Real Cars 32bpp: viewtopic.php?p=1249244
Real Vehicles 32bpp: viewtopic.php?p=1253581
Real Bus 32bpp: viewtopic.php?p=1249245
Real Trucks 32bpp: viewtopic.php?p=1254468
Real Parks 32bpp: viewtopic.php?p=1250255
Argentina World Cup 2022 Champions Bus 32bpp viewtopic.php?p=1257026
flogeza
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by flogeza »

temporal8 wrote: 02 Oct 2021 10:59 Nice, these objects are some of the most used in my maps. Great work.
Thank you :D
RoyalExamination9410
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by RoyalExamination9410 »

It would be nice to make the aircraft carriers actual ships that could be sailed, thousands of people (crew) could be transported in this way
flogeza
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by flogeza »

Heyy, I made Nimitz as a useable ship.

See at:
viewtopic.php?t=71516&start=200
Quast65
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Quast65 »

Where can we find the sources to your projects?
Projects: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=57266
Screenshots: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=56959
Scenario of The Netherlands: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=87604

Winner of the following screenshot competitions:
sep 2012, jan 2013, apr 2013, aug 2013, mar 2014, mar 2016, oct 2020
All my work is released under GPL-license (either V2 or V3), if not clearly stated otherwise.
flogeza
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by flogeza »

Quast65 wrote: 16 Dec 2023 14:19 Where can we find the sources to your projects?
I think we discussed this on Discord. :]

Return to “Graphics Development”