Graphic size

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

masterus
Engineer
Engineer

Graphic size

Post by masterus »

Hi,
I'm resuming work on the belgian train set and I wanted to know if there any rules for openttd sizes the ones I saw where really strange not really logical though :roll:
Why don't they simply use a 1px for 1meter or 2 or 4 insteed of all those conventions ??
Wathever I don't care even if it's strange :shock: could you give me a size chart pleazzee :lol:
And yep I'm noobish
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Re: Graphic size

Post by planetmaker »

There is no canonical size. The size of vehicles even varies on the direction you look at the vehicles, and especially among different sets. It also varies between vehicle types and especially in comparison to houses, industries, landscape, trees... a scale from 1px = 0.25m up to 1px = 50km (sic!) is acceptable :)

Just draw the vehicles such that they look good, that the largest vehicles are not larger than 32px long and ~8px high when looking at them from the side. Have a look at the many projects e.g. found at the DevZone (http://dev.openttdcoop.org)
V453000 :)
President
President

Post by V453000 :) »

Just draw it as big as you like, but not too large so it does not glitch in the game ;)
ImageImageImage
TadeuszD
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by TadeuszD »

As a general rule, OTTD doesn't guarantee, that vehicles longer than 32px will be displayed correctly. Longer vehicles generates glitches when passing tunel portals, bridges, depots and station buildings (ie. platforms).
You can use vehicles longer than 32px, but it needs more sprites and more coding to prevent most awful glitches.

Return to “Graphics Development”