[OTTD] 2CC|Trams - Nightly Betas Now Released

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

kamnet

Re: [OTTD] 2CC|Trams - Nightly Betas Now Released

Post by kamnet »

Arnoud wrote:
29 Jan 2020 14:28
hmm interesting, I tested it in Firs and in that set I had no difference between purchase and refit capacity.

I changed the default cargo from post to steel when playing with the default industries, this seems to fix the problem, I guess the default cargo needs to be in tons as unit weight.

The cargo capacities for different cargoes are all calculated centrally, I dont think it is possible to change the outcome of just 1 specific cargo (livestock).
I'm good with cargo trams showing default weight in tons, I think that is more informative. As for capacities, I don't know what you can do, since I don't know if it's our code or OpenTTD that would restrict that. You might want to ask Andythenorth for some advice.

Comparing these to "stock" wagons in OpenGFX+ Trains, and Road Hogs trams, it's still a bit out of balance. Checking with FIRS 3 loaded, here's what I'm seeing:

Code: Select all

2CC Trams - Oradea Freight Tram		OpenGFX+ Trains - stock cars	Road Hog trams (various)
	Mail:				40 bags per tram (10 per car)		20 bags per car			44 bags per tram (22 per car)
	Bulk cargoes:			40 tons per tram (10 per car)		30 tons per car			42 tons per tram (22 per car)
	Eng/Farm supplies:		40 tons per tram (10 per car)		30 tons per car			22 tons per tram (11 per car) 
	Livestock:			212 head per tram (53 per car)		25 head per car			42 head per tram (22 per car)
	Plant fibers:			212 bales per tram (53 per car)		25 bales per car		42 bales per tram (22 per car)
	Wool:				212 bales per tram (53 per car)		13 bales per car		42 bales of wool (22 per car)

I haven't looked at prices for all trams yet, but I think the cost of the tram could be doubled or tripled. Buying this tram is $2800 vs. $19000 for a Kirby steam train and one wagon. Trams should be cheaper but I think this is too cheap. Running cost at $11,480 I'm Ok with, but it probably wouldn't hurt to double that one, either.

Arnoud
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Arnoud »

LaChupacabra wrote:
24 Jan 2020 21:15
The same problem with incorrect loading concerns four trams:
-Amsterdam...
-Dresden ...
-The Hague ...
-Oradea ...

Prices and costs are completely eyecandy in all cases.
And of course the sound - the same problem as in the case of regular 2cc trams: there is no sound / only splash. It sounds very poor.
I coded the trams according to the documentation provided with the source code on page 1, this documentation did not provide prices and costs.
You are correct that I just made some up quickly and did some copy/pasting.

I prefer spending my time coding rather than thinking about what each tram should cost because people that can code seem in short supply.

If someone wants to volunteer to make a list of more realistic prices and costs I will implement it.

Same goes for sounds; none came with the documentation, I play with sound effects turned off myself, but yes the default sound for trams doesnt sound like trams.. if I am provided with a sound file I will implement it.
I havent really looked into it yet, but I think it is even possible to implement different sounds for different trams.

kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Arnoud wrote:
29 Jan 2020 16:31
I coded the trams according to the documentation provided with the source code on page 1, this documentation did not provide prices and costs.
You are correct that I just made some up quickly and did some copy/pasting. I prefer spending my time coding rather than thinking about what each tram should cost because people that can code seem in short supply. If someone wants to volunteer to make a list of more realistic prices and costs I will implement it.
Awesome, this will be something I try to work on this weekend.
Same goes for sounds; none came with the documentation, I play with sound effects turned off myself, but yes the default sound for trams doesnt sound like trams.. if I am provided with a sound file I will implement it.
I havent really looked into it yet, but I think it is even possible to implement different sounds for different trams.
Yes, you can implement different sounds for different trams. Finding good sources of sounds for trams is hard, though, especially free and opens source ones. I'll try to find a generic one we can use, a nice "ding ding" of a gong should be easier to find.

Arnoud
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Arnoud »

kamnet wrote:
29 Jan 2020 16:14
Arnoud wrote:
29 Jan 2020 14:28
hmm interesting, I tested it in Firs and in that set I had no difference between purchase and refit capacity.

I changed the default cargo from post to steel when playing with the default industries, this seems to fix the problem, I guess the default cargo needs to be in tons as unit weight.

The cargo capacities for different cargoes are all calculated centrally, I dont think it is possible to change the outcome of just 1 specific cargo (livestock).
I'm good with cargo trams showing default weight in tons, I think that is more informative. As for capacities, I don't know what you can do, since I don't know if it's our code or OpenTTD that would restrict that. You might want to ask Andythenorth for some advice.

Comparing these to "stock" wagons in OpenGFX+ Trains, and Road Hogs trams, it's still a bit out of balance. Checking with FIRS 3 loaded, here's what I'm seeing:

Code: Select all

2CC Trams - Oradea Freight Tram		OpenGFX+ Trains - stock cars	Road Hog trams (various)
	Mail:				40 bags per tram (10 per car)		20 bags per car			44 bags per tram (22 per car)
	Bulk cargoes:			40 tons per tram (10 per car)		30 tons per car			42 tons per tram (22 per car)
	Eng/Farm supplies:		40 tons per tram (10 per car)		30 tons per car			22 tons per tram (11 per car) 
	Livestock:			212 head per tram (53 per car)		25 head per car			42 head per tram (22 per car)
	Plant fibers:			212 bales per tram (53 per car)		25 bales per car		42 bales per tram (22 per car)
	Wool:				212 bales per tram (53 per car)		13 bales per car		42 bales of wool (22 per car)

I haven't looked at prices for all trams yet, but I think the cost of the tram could be doubled or tripled. Buying this tram is $2800 vs. $19000 for a Kirby steam train and one wagon. Trams should be cheaper but I think this is too cheap. Running cost at $11,480 I'm Ok with, but it probably wouldn't hurt to double that one, either.
Well I do recall reading somewhere that certain cargo classes have different multiplying factors applied to them hardcoded by the game.
I guess most cargo vehicle and train sets bypass this problem by having dedicated vehicles/wagons for these cargo classes.

We are trying to create some very generic trams, I guess that is harder to code than dedicated trams, I will look into it.

Arnoud
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Arnoud »

I have another update for the passenger trams.

This fixes the reported bugs in the buy menu of unarticulated trams.
Attachments
2cctrams9.grf
2cc passenger trams version 0.9
(434.8 KiB) Downloaded 77 times
trams-2cc.nml
source code
(444.57 KiB) Downloaded 61 times

Arnoud
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Arnoud »

And a much smaller update:

-fixed London Joh Grantham's steam engine being coded as electric vehicle, this allso means that electrified tramtrack is no longer available on 1800s starts.

-added translations.
Attachments
2cctrams9b.grf
2cc passenger trams version 0.9b
(491.38 KiB) Downloaded 67 times
Last edited by Arnoud on 30 Jun 2020 18:33, edited 1 time in total.

Voyager One
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Voyager One »

Needless to say: THANK YOU!
Leon

Image Image Image Image
"... all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by..." - John Masefield

Return to “Graphics Development”