2CC Trams 0.9c & 2CC Cargo Trams v0.8r

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Voyager One
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: [OTTD] 2CC|Trams - Development Discussion

Post by Voyager One »

kamnet wrote:On my oldest child's first day, she cried and begged me to never leave.
Pretty much the same. :lol:

... but after all, he's been satisfied with his first day. We'll see today when they'll have to stay longer. :lol:

EDIT: Managed to do something today...
Berlin Maximum 24.PNG
Berlin Maximum 24.PNG (11.39 KiB) Viewed 8710 times
Berlin T24.PNG
Berlin T24.PNG (11.86 KiB) Viewed 8710 times
Krakow Sanok SN1.PNG
Krakow Sanok SN1.PNG (11.1 KiB) Viewed 8710 times
Leon

Image Image Image Image
"... all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by..." - John Masefield
Voyager One
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Voyager One »

Blackpool Balloon Tram.PNG
Blackpool Balloon Tram.PNG (11.52 KiB) Viewed 8709 times
Leon

Image Image Image Image
Wahazar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wahazar »

I'm impressed how fast you are drawing, I' deliberating about each pixel and still have just a jar of dirt.

Are horse trams considered (eGRVTS have no option to include horse trams and exlude non-horse ones).

I have suggestion about trams parameters.
For urban transport there are important two factors: huge capacity and fast passenger throughput.
Loading speed should be adjusted to tram capacity, otherwise large tram would sit much longer than two small ones.
I suggest to use number of door wings to calculate loading speed.
In my poltrams set I'm using following formula:

Code: Select all

#define get_loading_speed(doorwings, loweredfloor) doorwings*2+loweredfloor/15  
//number of door wings, percent of lowered floor
Of course it can be simplified, but I want to give bonus for modern and expensive trams.

another issue is capacity. Calculating both seated+standing places is very good feature for urban transport,
however to avoid misuse of trams, those with huge number of standing should have increased cargo aging.
Voyager One
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Voyager One »

McZapkie wrote:Are horse trams considered
How should I answer this? :lol: Considered - yes. Will they be actually included - I don't know yet. :wink:
McZapkie wrote:Loading speed should be adjusted to tram capacity
Actually, we've already solved this issue - number of doors. If you take a look at that tracking table we have, there is a column called PDWE - Passenger Door Width Equivalent. Each 1-person door adds 1 to the total score, the higher the score, the faster the loading. And this is actually how it works IRL too.
McZapkie wrote:Calculating both seated+standing places is very good feature for urban transport... misuse of trams
I'm not really worried about misuse of trams. We are replicating real trams and their real capacities. Most other vehicle sets do the same and I think they will be pretty balanced.

Also, you must keep in mind a few other facts as examples:
- metro vehicles from the 2cc trainset also have seating+standing capacities and their numbers are considerably higher than we have here;
- trams are slow, therefore you get a lower payment rate;
- connected with the above slowness, trams aren't adapt for longer distances;
- buses (e.g. George's Long Vehicles) may have a smaller capacity but they are in general faster and are less subject to traffic jams as they can go around different streets in a city while trams must stay on tracks;
Leon

Image Image Image Image
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Voyager One wrote:
McZapkie wrote:Are horse trams considered
How should I answer this? :lol: Considered - yes. Will they be actually included - I don't know yet. :wink:
We talked about it last week, the feeling right now is that there is interest, but we may not include them in this release. I'm researching more info.
Voyager One wrote:
McZapkie wrote:Calculating both seated+standing places is very good feature for urban transport... misuse of trams
I'm not really worried about misuse of trams. We are replicating real trams and their real capacities. Most other vehicle sets do the same and I think they will be pretty balanced.
Part of my motivation for putting together this set was the fact that trams in OpenTTD are rarely effective especially in later games, and you have players who resort to either spamming cities with buses, or trying to rip out infrastructure to expand railroad lines and stations. In today's world, trams and lightrail are faster and more powerful than in decades past, and they transport hundreds of people at a time. It's easier to install their infrastructure, either running in the street or on their own right-of-way. Modern trams and lightrail are a vital link to moving people within the city to the areas where larger stations are or can be built. I wanted OpenTTD to be able to reflect this. Now that OpenTTD supports CargoDist, 2CC|Trams is going to be a significant upgrade in complex passenger networking.
Wahazar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wahazar »

Voyager One wrote: I'm not really worried about misuse of trams. We are replicating real trams and their real capacities. Most other vehicle sets do the same and I think they will be pretty balanced.
If you are replicating real trams, such parameters like travelling comfort should also be replicated.
For example lets compare Gothenburg MB01 and Milan ATM Class 1500 - the first one have smaller capacity and low passenger throughput.
If you define cargo aging related to sitting to total places ratio, you would not only better balance these two trams, but also create two cars for two niches:
low passenger streams or interurban operation vs heavily overloaded urban traffic
Voyager One wrote:- connected with the above slowness, trams aren't adapt for longer distances;
-trams must stay on tracks;
80km/h for modern trams is not very slow, and trams line eat only one, tile without bulldozing everything.
Additionally, tram track can be protected by one-way streets.
Formerly known as: McZapkie
Projects: Reproducible Map Generation patch, NewGRFs: Manpower industries, PolTrams, Polroad, 600mm narrow gauge, wired, ECS industry extension, V4 CEE train set, HotHut.
Another favorite games: freeciv longturn, OHOL/2HOL.
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

not trying to talk into your set too much, but warning you about a potential mistake: the GermanRV set has "realistic capacities" for the trams, but it did not correctly map those capacities to a length scale, so you end up with one tram carrying 120 passengers on a full tile, and another tram carrying 60 passengers for a full tile. you might want to avoid this by making sure that the "realistic" length correlates with the ingame length.
Voyager One
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Voyager One »

Eddi wrote:you might want to avoid this by making sure that the "realistic" length correlates with the ingame length.
I'm doing my best to draw things as realistically possible, lenght-wise speaking. Unfortunately some things don't really look nice in their "real" size so I tweak them a bit, but that's a lesser evil IMO.

... and speaking of todays loot...
Tunis TW6000.PNG
Tunis TW6000.PNG (12.94 KiB) Viewed 8589 times
Lvov Tatra KT4.PNG
Lvov Tatra KT4.PNG (12.85 KiB) Viewed 8589 times
Manx Electric Car 4-9.PNG
Manx Electric Car 4-9.PNG (11.37 KiB) Viewed 8589 times
Leon

Image Image Image Image
Voyager One
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Voyager One »

London Tramlink CR4000 Flexity Swift.PNG
London Tramlink CR4000 Flexity Swift.PNG (14.29 KiB) Viewed 8589 times
EDIT:
Trieste Serie 429-448.PNG
Trieste Serie 429-448.PNG (11.35 KiB) Viewed 8531 times
Leon

Image Image Image Image
Voyager One
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Voyager One »

Sarajevo Tatra T3YU.PNG
Sarajevo Tatra T3YU.PNG (11.96 KiB) Viewed 8529 times
Richmond Sprague Electric Motor Streetcar.PNG
Richmond Sprague Electric Motor Streetcar.PNG (11.62 KiB) Viewed 8529 times
Leon

Image Image Image Image
Voyager One
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Voyager One »

Cleveland 'Peter Witt' Centre Entrance.PNG
Cleveland 'Peter Witt' Centre Entrance.PNG (11.9 KiB) Viewed 8489 times
Moscow Oerlikon Tramcar.PNG
Moscow Oerlikon Tramcar.PNG (11.23 KiB) Viewed 8489 times
London John Grantham's Steam Car.PNG
London John Grantham's Steam Car.PNG (11.77 KiB) Viewed 8489 times
Leon

Image Image Image Image
te_lanus
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator
Location: The Elizabeth Arkham Asylum for the Criminally Insane

Post by te_lanus »

Voyager One wrote:...
Very nicely done,
Voyager One
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Voyager One »

Last ones for today... enough is enough... :lol:
Vienna SB Tw 1-15.PNG
Vienna SB Tw 1-15.PNG (10.56 KiB) Viewed 8473 times
Vienna SB Tw 20-29.PNG
Vienna SB Tw 20-29.PNG (10.99 KiB) Viewed 8473 times
Melbourne W Class.PNG
Melbourne W Class.PNG (11.75 KiB) Viewed 8473 times
Leon

Image Image Image Image
1stwizard
Engineer
Engineer

Post by 1stwizard »

It seems Twin cities LRT is missing. Please through wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/METRO_(Minnesota)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/METRO_Green_Line
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/METRO_Blue_Line
Though there are two lines, cars are shared.
This is photo from wiki: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... e_2014.jpg
Voyager One
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Voyager One »

1stwizard wrote:It seems Twin cities LRT is missing
Missing? What do you mean? We do have the Flexity Swift (London) and the S70/Avanto (Houston)...
Leon

Image Image Image Image
1stwizard
Engineer
Engineer

Post by 1stwizard »

Twin cities LRT cars are belongs to Flexity Swift family but it is different model from London's as Boeing 737-100 and 200 are different (Of course, livery as well). I checked tracking table and found it is not in list. If our passionate 2cc Tram grf makers add this in working list, it will be great grateful :)
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

One of the things that we are taking into consideration with this set is how frequently new vehicles are introduced and where are they introduced. Bombardier has been quite successful in marketing and releasing their products. Unfortunately they've done so in a period of a few years and mostly concentrated in Europe and North America, where we already have a lot of other vehicles during that period and regions. If you check the tracking table's "Unused" list you'll see several more listed that we initially included for consideration.

To be honest Bombardier has made so many Flexity-brand vehicles in such a short period of time that you could make your own separate set of them.
Voyager One
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Voyager One »

1stwizard wrote:Twin cities LRT cars are belongs to Flexity Swift family but it is different model from London's as Boeing 737-100 and 200 are different (Of course, livery as well). I checked tracking table and found it is not in list. If our passionate 2cc Tram grf makers add this in working list, it will be great grateful
If we start doing it like this, we'll end up with 1000 trams.

Livery is also not a "benchmark" since I'm drawing them in 2cc and kind of stlyling each livery, not making it exactly as real or we would end up with dozens of vehicles that could not be distinticted one from another.

All in all, let me conclude in this way: "no" for now but it's not a definite "no" because once we make a nice set, we could decide to change/add some features and these suggestions could turn out to be more than welcome. :wink:
---

Now, someone will say that these below are all the same and that I'm doing exactly the opposite from what I've said above. However, these differ in stats significantly enough to be included all.
Prague Tatra T2.PNG
Prague Tatra T2.PNG (11.53 KiB) Viewed 8349 times
Dresden Tatra T4D.PNG
Dresden Tatra T4D.PNG (11.45 KiB) Viewed 8349 times
Brno Tatra K2.PNG
Brno Tatra K2.PNG (12.92 KiB) Viewed 8349 times
Leon

Image Image Image Image
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

There's also a significant amount of time between the T2 and T4, and the K4 is an articulated tram rather than single car.
Sylf
President
President

Post by Sylf »

I don't know what your tracking table looks like. Can you possibly include this Botchan Ressha? It would make a nice early steamer tram for Asian region.

Return to “Graphics Development”