Metro Track Set Development

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Metro Track Set Development

Post by FooBar »

It occurred to me that the NewGRF currently most downloaded from the OpenTTD content service didn't have it's own topic. Now it does :)
"But why create a topic, it managed without one just fine?", I hear your ask. Well, let me explain...

I'm currently working on an upgrade of this popular track set. The upgrade will fix some graphical glitches as well as add the possibility to use OpenTTD's Railtypes. TTDPatch support will remain, if not expanded (you will be able to select to replace either monorail or maglev). Eventually, the source of the set will be made open, according to the GPL license.

I'm currently open to feature requests, like support for road set level crossings. If no such requests are made, then the current support for UK roads, NA roads and TTRS roads will be dropped as in that case I cannot be bothered to ask for permission to include graphics from those sets. This type of support is mostly aimed at TTDPatch users, as any recent OpenTTD with railtypes has automagic support for all road sets.

Train set authors who think it's a good idea that the Metro Tracks are used with their vehicles are welcome to post some details about their vehicle set: what railtype the metro tracks should occupy to be used with train set and the GRFID of the train set. I can then let the Metro Track set configure itself automatically.

Screen:
Attachments
metrotrackset.png
metrotrackset.png (41.82 KiB) Viewed 43753 times
Last edited by FooBar on 13 Jul 2012 20:40, edited 2 times in total.
Gremnon
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: [UNIV] Metro Track Set Development

Post by Gremnon »

Though I'd like to see TTRS and NA road compatibility, I can live without them if you don't want to go through the hassle of getting permission, etc.

I've only two requests.
One is OpenGFX tile compatibility (which it looks like you've got already!), though for the TTDP users, it's probably better to keep the original graphic ones around too - perhaps an autodetecter for the base graphics set, and if it's not detected, an optional parameter to select? That would allow for 3rd party landscapes to supply their landscape sprites and ask for their inclusion too.

The other is compatibility with the Total Bridge Replacement Set, though if I understand correctly, that would have to be done on the TBRS side, and not here on the Metro tracks side.
But I still hope for it all the same.
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

Gremnon wrote:Though I'd like to see TTRS and NA road compatibility, I can live without them if you don't want to go through the hassle of getting permission, etc.

I've only two requests.
One is OpenGFX tile compatibility (which it looks like you've got already!), though for the TTDP users, it's probably better to keep the original graphic ones around too - perhaps an autodetecter for the base graphics set, and if it's not detected, an optional parameter to select? That would allow for 3rd party landscapes to supply their landscape sprites and ask for their inclusion too.

The other is compatibility with the Total Bridge Replacement Set, though if I understand correctly, that would have to be done on the TBRS side, and not here on the Metro tracks side.
But I still hope for it all the same.
Unless one wants to provide tunnel portal sprites, OpenTTD track types do not rely on the ground tile nor the bridge as they just overdraw what they find; thus compatibility with any bridge set is given. Compatibility settings for a specific base set are only needed, if one wants to provide tunnel portals (and base sets must not be able to be auto-detected).
Gremnon
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Gremnon »

So in essence, provided no GRF (Such as the TBRS) replace ALL bridge sprites, and no one minds the possibility of a few oddities at tunnel portals, it's compatible with just about everything?

Or would the metro graphics work with TBRS seamlessly without the need for additional coding on either side?
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

If you have OpenTTD >= r19307 (includes 1.0.0), then Metro Tracks will be compatible with about anything (I should've noted that in my first post).

For TTDPatch and older OpenTTD, either TBRS would need to include bits of Metro Tracks or Metro Tracks needs to include bits of TBRS. Lot of work on either side, so for me that would be something for a future version or someone should be interested to help.

Metro Tracks is not providing new tunnels, and tests show that there are no glitches.

As planetmaker noted, it is not possible to detect base sets. The OpenGFX track style will be default, a parameter option will be provided to select TTD track style. Third party landscape also works without problems in OpenTTD >= r19307. For TTDPatch, it is possible to support third party landscape. For this, again permission is needed and at least a few people interested to make it worth the effort.
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

I don't really understand which metro tunnel portals everyone's is talking about, but at the time I drew these metro tracks, I also drew the sprites required for the default temperate tunnel portal. Those sprite should be available. At least, if those are the ones you're looking for.
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

Purno wrote:I don't really understand which metro tunnel portals everyone's is talking about, but at the time I drew these metro tracks, I also drew the sprites required for the default temperate tunnel portal. Those sprite should be available. At least, if those are the ones you're looking for.
The point is: there is no "default" temperate tunnel portal which can be replaced, given there are two different base sets. But using rail types it's possible (and IMHO desirable) to completely ignore and work around that issue, and NOT supply new tunnels - just as FooBar stated ;-)

It's something else to add that as an optional parameter for those who play single-player, know their base set and prefer another tunnel portal... but in multiplayer it currently is kinda folly to replace tunnel portals unless you supply a whole replacement for all ground and shore tiles and level crossing tiles. An endeavour not worthwhile in this context.
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

Trust me, it's going to look the same as before, only better and more features :P

And Purno, I assumed you don't mind switching to GPL, given your signature and all...
If you want a test grf before the official release, just let me know.
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

planetmaker wrote:The point is: there is no "default" temperate tunnel portal which can be replaced, given there are two different base sets. But using rail types it's possible (and IMHO desirable) to completely ignore and work around that issue, and NOT supply new tunnels - just as FooBar stated ;-)
I've been inactive for a while and not informed of the progress for quite a while. With "default" I was referring to TTD's original sprites. I made tunnel portals to fit metro tracks into the TTD's original graphics/tileset.
FooBar wrote:And Purno, I assumed you don't mind switching to GPL, given your signature and all...
If you want a test grf before the official release, just let me know.
I don't mind at all. I'm happy and honored that my graphics are still being used and still being developed.
You don't have to send me a test grf, I haven't booted up TTD for ages now =P
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

Nightly version available!

This version is fully functioning, but does not yet include all features I want to include. Feel free to try it, as the final release will be fully compatible. Please post any bugs that are not listed in the issue tracker directly to the tracker or alternatively here in the topic.

The final release will also be added to the online content of OpenTTD.

Nightly download here: http://bundles.openttdcoop.org/metrotra ... es/LATEST/
ZxBiohazardZx
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by ZxBiohazardZx »

no more monorail-looking bridges!

also can you check for the "main" station sets support? (so they dont show monorail )
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

ZxBiohazardZx wrote:also can you check for the "main" station sets support? (so they dont show monorail )
I wonder what station sets that would be...
Here, Canadian, Japanese, Industrial and NewStations all show rail track when built with Metro Tracks.
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

Something I've been working on today...
something.PNG
something.PNG (107.88 KiB) Viewed 41810 times
Don't tell me NuTracks already has this. I know. I don't care. This keeps me off the streets.

Futhermore this will be a complete recode in NML, which will solve some bugs and will add some new features. One is this "underground" track, which will also allow regular (electrified) trains. There will also be an urban version and the whole thing will be compatible with the railtype label scheme.
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

What exactly should I see in that picture? :P
Image Image
Quast65
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Quast65 »

Railtype of rails covered with grasstiles. To mimic an underground railsystem. Indeed NuTracks has one, which does need some bugfixing and better features (might be cool if it is aware of what city graphics one is using, or possible to set that via parameter).

How does it look with signals Foobar?
Projects: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=57266
Screenshots: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=56959
Scenario of The Netherlands: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=87604

Winner of the following screenshot competitions:
sep 2012, jan 2013, apr 2013, aug 2013, mar 2014, mar 2016, oct 2020
All my work is released under GPL-license (either V2 or V3), if not clearly stated otherwise.
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

Quast65 wrote:How does it look with signals Foobar?
Not too bad, i.e. back signals are completely hidden. But I plan to add custom, lower signals so that the signals on the front look better too.

Different city graphics is possible, but I would need to get permission first of course. A variant of this with buildings will not get top priority though. I just side-tracked on this. First I'd like to get to the level of the current release, but then in NML. Then I'll continue adding more features. Eventually you'll be able to enable/disable all track types individually via parameter.
jor[D]1
Director
Director

Post by jor[D]1 »

I think it has been removed from the newer versions of nutracks. This looks really great, and Is very usable.
View my (train)pictures on Flickr
Quast65
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Quast65 »

Not too bad, i.e. back signals are completely hidden. But I plan to add custom, lower signals so that the signals on the front look better too.
Nice! This GRF is great to be combined with the idea you had for custom tunnelentrances/exits coded as stationtiles. Also this would greatly reduce the need for the signals-in-tunnels patch!

As for buildings, I think that was one of the issue's that they are not in nutracks anymore, there were some problems with the graphics. The buildings were not drawn correctly, colors were wrong as I remember from the time I used it.
Projects: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=57266
Screenshots: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=56959
Scenario of The Netherlands: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=87604

Winner of the following screenshot competitions:
sep 2012, jan 2013, apr 2013, aug 2013, mar 2014, mar 2016, oct 2020
All my work is released under GPL-license (either V2 or V3), if not clearly stated otherwise.
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

Quast65 wrote:Nice! This GRF is great to be combined with the idea you had for custom tunnelentrances/exits coded as stationtiles.
Heh, that's where I got it from :)

There were/are indeed problems with NuTracks buildings (at least in the version I have, don't know if that's the latest). They somehow contain action colours, so they flash all over the place. I suppose it's fixed there, as it's a really simple fix.
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Metro Track Set Development

Post by FooBar »

Little status update...
I managed to get most features in: regular metro track, metro track with catenary, "underground" metro track with terrain on top and "underground" metro track with a concrete roof. There's support for both OpenGFX and TTD graphics, as well as support for Japan Set Landscape.
It should support most vehicle sets providing metro vehicles (Dutch Trainset, UKRS2, 2CC Trainset, ...), if not automatically then after changing some parameter settings. Speaking of those, make sure to check out the parameter settings, as the underground tracks are disabled by default to save railtype slots.

There's a picture below, and a nightly to try out. Custom signals will be added before a release. I'm still in doubt about underground tracks with buildings on top. As my screenshot shows, you don't really need them if you use tunnels. I'll await some request before investing time in that.

Attachments
Knipsel.PNG
Knipsel.PNG (394.59 KiB) Viewed 32854 times

Return to “Graphics Development”