Wasteland [WIP] - 0.5.0 Released Sept 24, 2020!

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Emperor Jake
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Wasteland [WIP] - Testers wanted - 0.2.0 Released 5-31-15

Post by Emperor Jake »

How haven't I seen this before? Looks very intriguing, I'll give it a try soon :)
Andrew350
Chairman
Chairman

Post by Andrew350 »

trainman1432 wrote:Chem plant isn't producing chemicals.
I looked at your save file and I only found 1 chemical plant that was being serviced by any company and it appeared to be producing chemicals just fine.
Reconstruct and Co., Mar 14th, 2086.png
Reconstruct and Co., Mar 14th, 2086.png (50.04 KiB) Viewed 3922 times
Are you sure you were delivering minerals to them when you saw this behavior?
trainman1432
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by trainman1432 »

Andrew350 wrote:
trainman1432 wrote:Chem plant isn't producing chemicals.
I looked at your save file and I only found 1 chemical plant that was being serviced by any company and it appeared to be producing chemicals just fine.
Reconstruct and Co., Mar 14th, 2086.png
Are you sure you were delivering minerals to them when you saw this behavior?
Yes. the Yellow company would be mine.

It wasn't displaying on my screen.

Also, Trains soon? :(
Jetrain
YATTC
Andrew350
Chairman
Chairman

Post by Andrew350 »

Yeah, it appeared to work fine for me, but let me know if you see this problem or any others again :)

Trains are...under development. I was making really good progress up until about a month ago and then I lost my computer :(, so unfortunately that set me back a bit and ever since I've been busy. I have a new, much better, computer now though, so things will pick back up shortly. I was originally planning for a release in August, so hopefully I'll have 0.3 out by October :)
trainman1432
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by trainman1432 »

Andrew350 wrote:Yeah, it appeared to work fine for me, but let me know if you see this problem or any others again :)

Trains are...under development. I was making really good progress up until about a month ago and then I lost my computer :(, so unfortunately that set me back a bit and ever since I've been busy. I have a new, much better, computer now though, so things will pick back up shortly. I was originally planning for a release in August, so hopefully I'll have 0.3 out by October :)
How are you doing so far (in other words, SCREENIES :D )
Jetrain
YATTC
Andrew350
Chairman
Chairman

Post by Andrew350 »

Well, there's not much to show right now in terms of visuals since I've not coded any new graphics in yet, they're all just colored blocks :D And not to disappoint, but the first trains will be much like the road vehicles anyway; i.e. nothing fancy.

But don't worry: this next release is going to add/change a lot of stuff, and for the most part implement the last remaining big features to round off the game (new industries, plus some trains, planes, and ships, etc). After that I expect to start focusing more on polishing and tweaking, which is where better graphics come into play. I know it's not much to look at in the meantime, but I just want to get the big stuff out of the way first :)
BermudaTri
Engineer
Engineer

Post by BermudaTri »

I've been playing for a few hours now. I really like the concept, but the economics are pretty out of whack

I can't seem to find a proper distance for irradiated food trucks to make a profit, which I assumed was the "starting industry".

The wastelander system is also really unintuitive. Taking people to work shouldn't be draining the population (who would take a job deadlier than self sufficiency in the wastes?), nor should only providing half the required supplies for life. Half is better than nothing, at least.

The game also feels overwhelmingly tense once you learn about the rules, because none of your lines are permanent. I mean, yay for the smart wastelanders who build self-sufficient housing, but I felt that making a rail line to bring in food and water would be useful for a lot longer than that...

Of course, there's also the bizarre profit system that TTD uses. Why pay for boring irradiated food from next door when you have exotic irradiated food from across the map?
I'd love to see a system based on need (houses slowly raising the price of food and water asymptotically to some maximum price while bringing in supplies forces the player to find a profitable balance). But I understand that the distance-profit system is pretty much hardcoded into the game.

Anyway, as a tester, I'm saying cut the running cost on the beginning trucks. Or boost their speed. Or improve their capacity. Whatever's lore-friendly.
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

you can use CB39 to completely override the openttd payment model
Andrew350
Chairman
Chairman

Post by Andrew350 »

BermudaTri wrote:I've been playing for a few hours now. I really like the concept, but the economics are pretty out of whack
Anyway, as a tester, I'm saying cut the running cost on the beginning trucks. Or boost their speed. Or improve their capacity. Whatever's lore-friendly.
Hi BermudaTri, thanks for the feedback :) I think you'll be happy to find that the upcoming release has already taken care of most of the things you point out such as towns shrinking and vehicles not being balanced/profitable. I've completely revamped the road vehicle roster in an effort to make the vehicles more unique and usable, as well as changing those town growth mechanics that caused towns to shrink with insufficient service.

As for service lines being short-lived, that's part of the challenge. It forces you to decide between ripping up old lines and starting anew or trying to reuse the existing lines for a new purpose. Once the town is rebuilt of course, permanent passenger service can start to take hold, but until then your network must stay dynamic. I did make a slight change to town growth which makes the transition to self-sustained buildings take a little longer (since I felt it was too quick in my testing), but the difference isn't drastic.

The cargo payment model is what it is, I have no plans to change it. Some kind of demand based system would be cool, but no good way to do that in OpenTTD. :)
FLHerne
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FLHerne »

Hm - how about setting all actual cargo payments to 0, then using a gamescript to pay for the total cargo delivered to each industry/town every few days? Since a GS has far more context (population, production state, rate of growth, previous cargo supplied), it could calculate a much more realistic figure.

Of course, each individual vehicle making an enormous loss would be rather confusing! :shock:
Temporary Permanent signature filling text. Content coming soon delayed indefinitely! Oh, and I have had a screenshot thread.
Linux user (XMonad DWM/KDE, Arch), IRC obsessive and rail enthusiast. No longer building robots; now I ring church bells.
Author of an incredibly boring stickied post about NewGRFs.
erregerre
Engineer
Engineer

Post by erregerre »

Hello. I've tryed to play Wasteland, but there was no vehicle but trucks.
Wich vehicle set are you using?.

Thanks
Sylf
President
President

Post by Sylf »

For a crazy landscape like this one, a crazy train set like NUTS works well.
For planes and ships, pick your favorite set.
BermudaTri
Engineer
Engineer

Post by BermudaTri »

erregerre wrote:Hello. I've tryed to play Wasteland, but there was no vehicle but trucks.
Wich vehicle set are you using?.

Thanks
I've been using NARS. All-diesel looks pretty good on those rickety salvaged tracks
BermudaTri
Engineer
Engineer

Post by BermudaTri »

Andrew350 wrote: ...

The cargo payment model is what it is, I have no plans to change it. Some kind of demand based system would be cool, but no good way to do that in OpenTTD. :)

Actually, I just remembered a way. Pikka's Basic Industry (and a few other industrial mods, I suspect) added the idea of stockpiles to industries. If the stockpile filled faster than it could be processed, then the industry would eventually stop accepting cargo.

Maybe there's a way to apply this to towns in general, but failing that maybe a "refugee camp" industry could be responsible for distributing food and water. You could even make a it cheap, player-funded industry with a proximity limit: that way only one or two could exist in small towns while larger towns could support several, mirroring the increase in food and water demanded.

Of course, without some complex rules for abandoning the industry when the town reaches a certain level of technology (Personally, I think a 2nd version, updated to "distribution center" that only accepts clean food would be fine), you'd have to accept a permanent cargo destination, which goes against what you wanted for the game, right?
trainman1432
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by trainman1432 »

How's this for inspiration?
Jetrain
YATTC
Drury
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Drury »

Wanted to play some OpenTTD again since I got the steam controller, and there's no other way than wasteland.

Went bankrupt a few times trying to get back into it, noticed I'm kind of sleepy, which was unusual since I thought it was like 10PM. Nope, 2AM.

Well today I'm making a water>foodlab cashmaker so that should go better.

Only dumb people quote themselves, and only the truest retards put such quotes in their forum signatures
-Drury
Andrew350
Chairman
Chairman

Post by Andrew350 »

Wow, so I just got the email notification for Drury's reply to this topic, which I now realize I left a couple months ago without a trace! I figured I should at least report in and let you know that I'm still here, I just have been unable to find time to continue the project lately. I know I said 0.3 would be ready by October, and I really was only a couple weeks away from release when I said that. But of course "life strikes again" and sucked away the free time I had to devote to this. Unfortunately it looks like I'll be pressed for time for at least two more months before things might start leveling out again, so the project is likely on hold until then.

Not the news anyone likes to hear, I know, but I'll get back to it soon enough.

And hey, Fallout 4 is out, so at least there's something to play in the meantime, right? ;)
Andrew350
Chairman
Chairman

Post by Andrew350 »

Hello All!

After almost a year of delay I have finally finished the 0.3 release! Over 8,000 lines of code and 1,553 kb of file size have been added in this release, far more than I was originally expecting, but the result is definitely worth it :)

This release brings a ton of changes, including:
- A new industry chain
- Completely revamped road vehicle stats
- Trains
- Aircraft
- Ships
- Town growth changes

The new industry chain consists of a Trading Post, Offshore Colony, and Power Plant. Although it doesn't produce any cargoes necessary for town growth it does give more purpose to Irradiated Food as well as ship and air travel. Speaking of ship and air travel, a full roster of ships, aircraft, and trains have been added in this release, in addition to a completely revamped road vehicle roster. RVs should be much more distinct than they were before, with much more varied stats.

Here's a list of all vehicles currently available:
wasteland_vehicle_list_0.3.0.png
(170.24 KiB) Not downloaded yet
I've also fixed the problem of towns shrinking when only delivering one town growth cargo. Towns should no longer shrink unless Wastelanders are being transported away without the delivery of town growth cargoes in return. I've made a few other changes to town growth including:
- Raising the limit for self-sustained buildings to start appearing
- Improving the failsafe to make new shack buildings near other existing buildings, to prevent town spread
- Preventing lesser class buildings from over-building better ones

There have also been a number of changes on my end to make changing stats easier in the future without breaking compatibility, at least when it comes to vehicles, and also an uncountable amount of other minor changes.

As with the last major release the new vehicles have not been thoroughly tested (if at all) and may even be completely broken. I'm in need of some players to test them and possibly offer suggestions on how to improve them. Please let me know if you encounter any problems.

Also be aware that this release requires at least OpenTTD version 1.3.1 (r25115) and is not compatible with any previous releases, and also that a plane speed factor of 1:1 is recommended for this set!

Please see the first post of this thread or the in-game content system for the download. Also note this update (0.3.0) is still found under Wasteland 0.2.0 on BaNaNaS due to my earlier mistake.

Enjoy!
Benny
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Wasteland [WIP] - 0.3.0 Released 8-20-16 - Testers wanted

Post by Benny »

Impressive work, I haven't seen or heard about this set before. I'm having a go right now. :)
oftcrash
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Re: Wasteland [WIP] - 0.3.0 Released 8-20-16 - Testers wanted

Post by oftcrash »

Yay! The Murder Pass Moving Gang (company) is open for business!

Return to “Graphics Development”