Wasteland [WIP] - 0.5.0 Released Sept 24, 2020!

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

BermudaTri
Engineer
Engineer

Re: Wasteland [WIP] - 0.3.0 Released 8-20-16 - Testers wanted

Post by BermudaTri »

I love your project, and I really want to join, because I too have an obsession with post-apocalyptic economies.

I've got loads of pixel art that could help, including this sample of Neo-Post architecture I based off of Fallout 2's cities.

P.S. I'm also making a new food lab based off your physics class doodles
Attachments
NeoPost Sample.png
NeoPost Sample.png (4.91 KiB) Viewed 4465 times
Andrew350
Chairman
Chairman

Post by Andrew350 »

Hey that's awesome, any graphics would be greatly appreciated! I like the look of those buildings, would make good shack/renewed buildings! :D

Of course remember that this project is released under GPLv2, so anything you contribute will be released as such. Full credit will be given of course. If you want to add anything you can post it here or PM me, whichever you prefer :)
Cykodelik
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Cykodelik »

This is so awesome! Will you be adding the possibility to get towns to the level where they spawn grass and trees? I can't code or paint but I can offer any help with writing or maybe playtesting :P

I'm also obsessed with post apocalyptic economies!
Andrew350
Chairman
Chairman

Post by Andrew350 »

Thanks Cykodelik, glad you like it. :) In the last stage of city growth there will be more 'green' yes, at least enough to make it look more vibrant. There are limitations to what I can do though, for example the trees that line city streets can't be changed and so on, but I'll try to work something out that looks pleasant.

And before anyone asks, no, unfortunately there hasn't been any real progress since the last update, so things will remain quiet here for a minute. Sorry.
toha_bangbang
Engineer
Engineer

Post by toha_bangbang »

2017 and open ttd still gets new players. me for example. its sad that most grfs do not get further feveloped and updated anymore. in better graphics and in general. its sad that it is pretty dead. and i discovered this mod and i think its the best one for open ttd. its amazing. however it has still a lot of issues. idk but i delivered all three things to a food factory but the station next to it still did not accept clean food although it showed up as produced... maybe it was too irregular and it was somehow intended.. anyways.
i wish this game and all its addons were more actively developed but i suppose 2017+ is not the time for it anymore. heck im only 23 but i think this game is amazing! and has so much potential
Quast65
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Quast65 »

All developers are doing this voluntarily, sometimes more important reallife stuff comes up, or interest just simply fades.
Reporting bugs or asking questions about a GRF may sometimes reignite the development.
Also contributing (graphics and/or code) can help to take things to a higher level, its not that difficult as you may think! :wink:
Projects: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=57266
Screenshots: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=56959
Scenario of The Netherlands: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=87604

Winner of the following screenshot competitions:
sep 2012, jan 2013, apr 2013, aug 2013, mar 2014, mar 2016, oct 2020
All my work is released under GPL-license (either V2 or V3), if not clearly stated otherwise.
MlemandPurrs
Engineer
Engineer

Post by MlemandPurrs »

Earning money in this setting proved to be superhard, but all the trouble was gone when i have figured out to ship and fly passengers among 2 offshore colonies. That and maybe the fact i have used VTOL to cheat around the abscence of an worthy helicopter. :P

You should start with water, its the early high revenue bringer of this setting.
Prior to figuring that out tried to supply an Steel Mill with multiple trains carrying iron to it and barely managed to hold my balance over the red. At previous attempt have tried to run an chain for clean food, it wasnt exactly profitable either.

Have an idea for an additional Cyborg industry chain that can be used to boost city growth.
Copper&Silicon->Microchips Plant->Microchips.
Steel Mill makes Steel(primary),construction supply(secondary).
Microchips, Steel, wastelanders->Cyborg Factory->Cyborg(deliver to settlement for boosting population)
As for how the robot factory would look like, try Toy Factory's Toy Soldier painted in grey, on an assembly line coming out of an high-tech structure
toha_bangbang
Engineer
Engineer

Post by toha_bangbang »

to be honest. in that gamemode i dont really mind if im in the red with one train or so. its okay to have non profitable infrastructure in order to provide clean food or something valuable. the center of this is town growth. thats how i like playing this game and therefore this gamemode. i always focus on making cities big. if its challenging to survive with a company in such a setting.. thats good
but yeah i have to play it more to see if my Problem with the station next to the food lab not accepting clean food was a one time thing and due to me not providing the imressources regularly enough or if it is an actual Problem. i think this gamemode with focus on rebuilding cities and infrastructure as a different goal as the vanilla game where just money matters would have so much potential. sigh
and i cant do any graphics or coding... otherwise i would contribute for sure
Andrew350
Chairman
Chairman

Post by Andrew350 »

Don't fret too much, none of my projects are dead, just on pause. Life is just a little busy right now, but work will resume :)

As for the food lab problem, did you send a clean food vehicle to the station after it started producing food? Usually you have to start service to the station before any goods get delivered there, unless you change a game setting. Otherwise your station just isn't close enough to the food lab to be within its catchment area.

If you experience any more problems, do let me know :)
toha_bangbang
Engineer
Engineer

Post by toha_bangbang »

i think i did. however i played on my phone so i probably missed something.
i started a new game now on pc... and although i read your description of the mod i still dont quite look through the town groth system. i now deliver water, irradicated food and even clean food sometimes to a town (that shrunk from 50 people to 18 (while delivering only water) and in the town window it still says the town is NOT growing. im confused. i think the town window DEFINATELY needs some feedback. of what it needs to grow and maybe how much it has been fulfilled in the last month .. like how many percent or so.
otherwise it is VERY hard to look through that
MlemandPurrs
Engineer
Engineer

Post by MlemandPurrs »

when you transport away wastelanders from an town it does decrease in size no matter what you give them.
toha_bangbang
Engineer
Engineer

Post by toha_bangbang »

yeah i noticed that. i stopped the helicopter transporting wastelanders but it kept decreasing
Andrew350
Chairman
Chairman

Post by Andrew350 »

As of 0.3.0, towns without wastelander service should never decline in size. However, when transporting away wastelanders, towns require both food and water deliveries in the same two month period in order to keep them growing (i.e. not shrinking). If the delivery of both of those cargoes isn't happening often enough then the town will not be able to replenish its workforce, causing it to shrink over time.

Could you guys post a savegame where this behavior is occurring? I suspect it might just be too infrequent delivery of both cargoes causing the decline, but I'd like to check your setup to be sure. :)
toha_bangbang
Engineer
Engineer

Post by toha_bangbang »

here you go. the town is called Aberfingley. and it had like 50+ people once. here are two savegames kind of shortly after one another one where the town has 26 and one where it has a lower amount
the setup is by no means perfect so dont judge me. i just started playing this game recently and tried to test this grf quickly and didnt give it too much thought.

and if im not delivering enough which is probably the case, okay, but it should tell me somewhere in the town window.
it currently switches between town is not growing and it is growing every 76 days. so it is probably that im not delivering enough

however its strange that once im starting to deliver water and food a town shrinks. no matter how much i deliver it should always have a positive effect.
i think a setup like mine should at least make the town not shrink but sustain.

PS: i LOVE the style of those little shacks.. thats amazing! but i want em to grow into housessssssssss ;_;
PS2: i also tried the city growth controller script..just for fun... that showed me what cargos the town needs.. but it made the streets of the town rapidly grow like cancer over the whole map as soon as i delivered water ..haha.. something went wrong there ^^
Attachments
Wasteland.sav
(133.76 KiB) Downloaded 95 times
Wasteland 2.sav
(123.12 KiB) Downloaded 88 times
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

I wonder if it would be possible to disable the rail types that wasteland includes so I can properly use NuTrack's, which still works but the introduction dates for the tracks get messed up by Wastelands Scavanged and normal tracks.

This is because until theres variety with the Locomotive sprites I'll be using other sets like NARS or 2ccTrains and I prefer to use NuTracks to provide high speed rail for trains.

It might just be nice if Wasteland provided a little more in the way of railtypes.

80 Km\h
Cheap Scavenged Rail (Cheaply laid scrap metal rails, built right on the ground. Cheapest but very low speed limit. Rusty looking rail graphics with sandy or brown dirt ballast)

128 Km\h
Scavenged Rail (Already Included, I imagine that it would be properly laid and ballasted scavenged rail. Should probably look dirty and rusty like disused railroad tracks in real life)

160 Km\h
Cheap Rail (New rail made of low quality steel and wood sleepers. Would probably look like dirty, darkened rails but not as rusty)

201 Km\h
Normal Rail (New rail made to higher quality standards with concrete or wood sleepers. Would probably use a cleaner looking normal rail graphics)

Unlimited Speed
High Speed Rail (Brand new ballested tracks laid on concrete sleepers built like real world high speed rail lines. Might be possible to borrow the high speed tracks from NuTracks)
Image Proud Canadian Image
Nekomasters Projects! (Downloads available on BaNaNaS!) \(>^w^<)/
# NARS ADD-ON SET 2CC | 2cc Rapid Transit For Me! (2ccRTFM) | 2cc Wagons In NML (2ccWIN)
# NML Category System (Organize your GRFS!) <- TT-Forums Exclusive Download!
Andrew350
Chairman
Chairman

Post by Andrew350 »

toha_bangbang wrote:and if im not delivering enough which is probably the case, okay, but it should tell me somewhere in the town window.
however its strange that once im starting to deliver water and food a town shrinks. no matter how much i deliver it should always have a positive effect.
i think a setup like mine should at least make the town not shrink but sustain.
Okay I looked at your save, and the problem in the first one is that you're not delivering any food to that town. Water delivery seems to be adequate enough, but even after you began food service (in the second save) the deliveries are right on the edge of being frequent enough, causing the fluctuation in the town growth. Increasing the frequency of food and water deliveries should solve the problem. One tactic that is useful in these situations is to stockpile the food and water delivered by train nearby, then use trucks to make a shorter, more frequent trip for the final delivery. :)

As far as the town window is concerned, I've already expressed my own desire to be able change at least some parts of the town window, unfortunately at least for now there is nothing I can do via NewGRF. Only GameScripts can currently alter information shown in the town window, so unless I make a GS specifically for Wasteland (on my wishlist, though currently out of my reach), there is nothing I can do to improve this.
NekoMaster wrote:I wonder if it would be possible to disable the rail types that wasteland includes so I can properly use NuTrack's, which still works but the introduction dates for the tracks get messed up by Wastelands Scavanged and normal tracks.
Well, the option to disable trains already exists, perhaps the default tracks should be disabled at the same time. Or it could be a separate parameter; either way your suggestion makes sense to me, I'll add it to my todo list :)

Also on an unrelated note, during my quick test I noticed that OpenTTD 1.7.0 RC1 seems to have broken all the strings, causing industry names to be replaced by vehicle names somehow. Very odd, I'll have to look into that as well to see if its OpenTTD causing the problem or Wasteland. :?
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

The broken industry strings also happens with the Road Types version of OpenTTD

ALso I do think the disable Rail types should be a seperate option incase later on people want to use wasteland trains with another track set.
# NARS ADD-ON SET 2CC | 2cc Rapid Transit For Me! (2ccRTFM) | 2cc Wagons In NML (2ccWIN)
toha_bangbang
Engineer
Engineer

Post by toha_bangbang »

alright thanks for the reply :)
will there be any changes to the current system that you have to deliver both cargoes and the shrinking of towns?
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by andythenorth »

NekoMaster wrote:The broken industry strings also happens with the Road Types version of OpenTTD
That doesn't tell very much - NotRoadTypes build is kept synced with trunk OpenTTD, so bugs in OpenTTD will show up in NRT too ;)
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

andythenorth wrote:
NekoMaster wrote:The broken industry strings also happens with the Road Types version of OpenTTD
That doesn't tell very much - NotRoadTypes build is kept synced with trunk OpenTTD, so bugs in OpenTTD will show up in NRT too ;)
Just stating something i've noticed with the RATT build of OpenTTD while messing around with wasteland and unspooled roads.

Return to “Graphics Development”