Wasteland [WIP] - 0.5.0 Released Sept 24, 2020!

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Andrew350
Chairman
Chairman

Re: Wasteland [WIP] - 0.3.0 Released 8-20-16 - Testers wanted

Post by Andrew350 »

oftcrash wrote:Yay! The Murder Pass Moving Gang (company) is open for business!
Oh that reminds me, I forgot to mention that I also updated the Wasteland Town Names set a few weeks ago, which doubles the amount of names available :)
Sylf
President
President

Post by Sylf »

You might want to fix this: https://bananas.openttd.org/en
The NewGRF name says it's Wasteland 0.2.0, with the latest version numbered as 0.3.0.
Andrew350
Chairman
Chairman

Post by Andrew350 »

I know. I messed up when I put the original file on BaNaNaS and put the version number as part of the name. Unfortunately there's no way to change it, so it's stuck :(

I asked for it to be fixed but apparently it isn't easy, and there was no response.
oftcrash
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by oftcrash »

I'm playing with various Newgrfs to see what goes well.
Quiet Flats survived The Long Winter, but only just. Their wall protected them from the roving gangs and scavengers, but it wasn't enough to stop the radiation and disease. Still, they did better than many.
Quiet Flats survived The Long Winter, but only just. Their wall protected them from the roving gangs and scavengers, but it wasn't enough to stop the radiation and disease. Still, they did better than many.
Quiet Flats Reclamation, Jan 30th, 2083.png (516.47 KiB) Viewed 567 times
Town Walls
ISR (stations and objects)
Rural Stations
Town walls
Auz Lineside (the roads especially)
Chips
oftcrash
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by oftcrash »

I played this quite a bit yesterday. Its definitely challenging, and I'm enjoying the change from the usual game. One question - my towns never seem to accept passengers or building materials. Under what conditions do these start accepting?
supermop
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by supermop »

oftcrash wrote:One question - my towns never seem to accept passengers or building materials. Under what conditions do these start accepting?
I played a lot yesterday - and got 3 towns to the point where they accept building materials. If both water and food (any kind) are being delivered at the same time, the town will eventually turn over to mostly makeshift buildings, which then accept the materials. With water, clean food, and materials, it will gradually turn over to renewed buildings. I actually do not recall if those take passengers or not - I was very low on water in my game so I was not thinking about passenger networks until i could prospect more water sources.

Question about wastelanders - it seems a town of destroyed buildings will shrink when transporting away wastelanders even if receiving food - will this also happen to a town of makeshift buildings? Seems like a town with a hiring point for jobs and food would attract more wastelanders to come out of the wilderness to at least stabilize in size. Last night I was thinking it could be cool if destroyed towns with food and/or wastelander transit could build an outpost/town square/forum/muster point that spawns wastelanders indefinitely, or until the town becomes self sustaining?

Would be cool to have a few more climates - something lush and green like the area near Chernobyl, or some kind of tundra maybe? I played arctic to get better mountains, and all the pine trees on the tan land looked a bit odd.
Sylf
President
President

Post by Sylf »

oftcrash wrote:I played this quite a bit yesterday. Its definitely challenging, and I'm enjoying the change from the usual game. One question - my towns never seem to accept passengers or building materials. Under what conditions do these start accepting?
Reading the "readme" document (not the simple readme that's included in the NewGRF) - http://andrew350.users.tt-forums.net/pr ... teland.php will help you a lot.
oftcrash
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by oftcrash »

Sylf wrote:
oftcrash wrote:I played this quite a bit yesterday. Its definitely challenging, and I'm enjoying the change from the usual game. One question - my towns never seem to accept passengers or building materials. Under what conditions do these start accepting?
Reading the "readme" document (not the simple readme that's included in the NewGRF) - http://andrew350.users.tt-forums.net/pr ... teland.php will help you a lot.
That'll teach me to skim ;)

I'd delivered water, but no food. Food, but no water (different towns), but not food AND water. Makes sense now, thanks!

For passengers early on, I happened to have two offshore colonies near each other and they generate a lot, so I had a steady income at least.

I think I may put a switch in the VACE set to lower the costs so it can work better with this. I really love this setting :)
Andrew350
Chairman
Chairman

Post by Andrew350 »

supermop wrote:Question about wastelanders - it seems a town of destroyed buildings will shrink when transporting away wastelanders even if receiving food - will this also happen to a town of makeshift buildings?
Yes, both food and water must be delivered or the town will shrink while transporting away wastelanders.
supermop wrote:Last night I was thinking it could be cool if destroyed towns with food and/or wastelander transit could build an outpost/town square/forum/muster point that spawns wastelanders indefinitely, or until the town becomes self sustaining?
If you deliver only food and water (no building materials) then towns will only build shack buildings, allowing for an endless supply of wastelanders. When you no longer need the wastelanders, start delivering buildings materials and the town will advance to the next stages.
supermop wrote:Would be cool to have a few more climates - something lush and green like the area near Chernobyl, or some kind of tundra maybe? I played arctic to get better mountains, and all the pine trees on the tan land looked a bit odd.
Other climates have always been on the back of my mind (hence why I allow it to run in any climate), but obviously there's still a lot to do with the main game, so I have no immediate plans to do any serious work on alternate climates. In the future though :)
oftcrash
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by oftcrash »

I have to say, GREAT JOB on this! It really changes the standard gameplay and provides a real challenge. The wastelanders for the mines gives great opportunities to exploit small towns until they shrivel up and die :)
supermop
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by supermop »

Been playing a bit more last night, still only have one town with renewed buildings, but hauling minerals across map had netted me enough money to start prospecting more water pumps. I am maybenot following the spirit of wasteland completely as I have PIPE loaded, so now I've been building out a network of water distribution.
oftcrash
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by oftcrash »

supermop wrote:Been playing a bit more last night, still only have one town with renewed buildings, but hauling minerals across map had netted me enough money to start prospecting more water pumps. I am maybenot following the spirit of wasteland completely as I have PIPE loaded, so now I've been building out a network of water distribution.
My first few games I was just focusing on one town at a time, but now I'm starting to get the hang of it. I have 3 towns in progress with a couple others being used as cheap labor for my mineral mines. For a small but steady income I have a couple oil rigs near each other that run passenger service.

I don't think I've ever played TTD with as much deficit spending and debt as this, but it keeps it interesting!
Andrew350
Chairman
Chairman

Post by Andrew350 »

I'm happy to see other people enjoying this :) I'm finally getting a chance to actually play the game myself and I'm finding that the additional vehicles are making a big difference, especially in how far I can expand my network. It also reveals some balancing issues that I'll need to resolve in future releases. But I'll worry about that later, for now I want to play :mrgreen:

If you come across anything you feel could be improved, don't hesitate to bring it up!
oftcrash
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by oftcrash »

Hi there,

I found a bug in the monorail graphics. Two of the tracks use the regular rail graphics. I replicated it in a clean game with no additional newgrfs other than Wasteland Town names. See the attached.

Wasteland 0.3.0
OpenTTD 1.6.1

Edit: I just tested the slopes and they also show up as the normal rail instead of monorail.
Attachments
Unnamed, Jan 1st, 2120.png
Unnamed, Jan 1st, 2120.png (130.45 KiB) Viewed 567 times
Andrew350
Chairman
Chairman

Post by Andrew350 »

Monorail graphics aren't finished yet, guess I forgot to remove that before release. :oops: Those are merely for testing purposes as I was trying out some ideas with elevated tracks. I've since decided against that idea though, so I'm looking for a better design. The 0.4 release may or may not have monorail and maglev trains added to complete the vehicle roster, at which point I will have finalized the track design. :)
oftcrash
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by oftcrash »

I like the look of the design you have there. I never liked the trench based default graphics.
Andrew350
Chairman
Chairman

Post by Andrew350 »

oftcrash wrote:I never liked the trench based default graphics.
Me neither, which is why I was trying something else. I might keep a similar design but it won't be offset like the current graphics are - that just leads to too many problems.

In the meantime, I thought I might as well share these rough concept sketches I came up with a few months ago while I was bored in Physics ;)
Attachments
wasteland_sketch_1.png
wasteland_sketch_1.png (653.02 KiB) Viewed 567 times
wasteland_sketch_2.png
wasteland_sketch_2.png (231.35 KiB) Viewed 567 times
wasteland_sketch_3.png
wasteland_sketch_3.png (154.18 KiB) Viewed 2834 times
oftcrash
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by oftcrash »

Nice, I've got a notebook at work with the same sorts of sketches in it for a mini alien invasion newgrf I've been putzing around with. WAY more interesting than what I'm supposed to be doing :)

In other news, I thought I might take a stab at drawing a couple quick road vehicles in Pixeltool.
beat-up-truck.png
beat-up-truck.png (2.3 KiB) Viewed 2826 times
hmmwv.png
hmmwv.png (1.54 KiB) Viewed 2826 times
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

I hope that this set will get unique graphics for the vehicles, pretty hard to tell what every truck and train is when everything looks the same.
Image Proud Canadian Image
Nekomasters Projects! (Downloads available on BaNaNaS!) \(>^w^<)/
# NARS ADD-ON SET 2CC | 2cc Rapid Transit For Me! (2ccRTFM) | 2cc Wagons In NML (2ccWIN)
# NML Category System (Organize your GRFS!) <- TT-Forums Exclusive Download!
Andrew350
Chairman
Chairman

Post by Andrew350 »

NekoMaster wrote:I hope that this set will get unique graphics for the vehicles, pretty hard to tell what every truck and train is when everything looks the same.
Yes, in time it will, it just takes a while to draw so many ;) It also doesn't help that I have many other interests that take my attention away, but I always return to it eventually.

Return to “Graphics Development”