Wasteland [WIP] - 0.5.0 Released Sept 24, 2020!

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Andrew350
Chairman
Chairman

Wasteland [WIP] - 0.5.0 Released Sept 24, 2020!

Post by Andrew350 »

-------------------------------------------------------

Please start here for the overview of the set -->LINK<--

-------------------------------------------------------

September 24, 2020 - Wasteland 0.5 is released! This update brings some minor changes such as the addition of roadtypes, several bugfixes, and some new graphics scattered about. As promised, this version is compatible with the last, so if you somehow still have a Wasteland game going from 2 years ago don't worry; it is safe to update :P Just make sure you have at least OpenTTD 1.10 or newer! Download it below or through the in-game content service. Enjoy! :)

======PREVIOUS ENTRIES=======
[+] Spoiler

[0.4.0]

Wasteland 0.4 is now live! Featuring many improvements including random industry production changes based on service, autorefit support, revamped industry graphics behavior, and much more. As usual, the list of changes can be found in the changelog bundled with the GRF in the .tar file below, or you can update through BaNaNaS (still listed as Wasteland 0.2.0!). Please note, Wasteland 0.4 is not compatible with previous releases; hopefully this is the last time! Also, if you haven't clicked that big link above in a while, I've updated a lot of the information on the website to match the current status of the set, with more to come later. It might be worth a read just for a refresher. Enjoy! :)

[0.3.1]

After exactly 21 months since the release of 0.3.0 comes a new, but minor update: Wasteland 0.3.1! This is a very small update which only adds a few parameters to allow disabling of the core railtypes, as well as enabling static behavior for industries. Since this update doesn't add anything useful for a currently-active game, savegame compatibility was broken again, so no need to update unless you want to start a new game. You can find the .tar file and source bundle attached below, or update through BaNaNaS. :)

[0.3.0]

Hello All!

After almost a year of delay I have finally finished the 0.3 release! Over 8,000 lines of code and 1,553 kb of file size have been added in this release, far more than I was originally expecting, but the result is definitely worth it :)

This release brings a ton of changes, including:
- A new industry chain
- Completely revamped road vehicle stats
- Trains
- Aircraft
- Ships
- Town growth changes

The new industry chain consists of a Trading Post, Offshore Colony, and Power Plant. Although it doesn't produce any cargoes necessary for town growth it does give more purpose to Irradiated Food as well as ship and air travel. Speaking of ship and air travel, a full roster of ships, aircraft, and trains have been added in this release, in addition to a completely revamped road vehicle roster. RVs should be much more distinct than they were before, with much more varied stats.

Here's a list of all vehicles currently available:

[attachment=2]wasteland_vehicle_list_0.3.0.png[/attachment]

I've also fixed the problem of towns shrinking when only delivering one town growth cargo. Towns should no longer shrink unless Wastelanders are being transported away without the delivery of town growth cargoes in return. I've made a few other changes to town growth including:
- Raising the limit for self-sustained buildings to start appearing
- Improving the failsafe to make new shack buildings near other existing buildings, to prevent town spread
- Preventing lesser class buildings from over-building better ones

There have also been a number of changes on my end to make changing stats easier in the future without breaking compatibility, at least when it comes to vehicles, and also an uncountable amount of other minor changes.

As with the last major release the new vehicles have not been thoroughly tested (if at all) and may even be completely broken. I'm in need of some players to test them and possibly offer suggestions on how to improve them. Please let me know if you encounter any problems.

Also be aware that this release requires at least OpenTTD version 1.3.1 (r25115) and is not compatible with previous releases, and also that a plane speed factor of 1:1 is now recommended for this set!

Please see the first post of this thread or the in-game content system for the download. Also note this update (0.3.0) is still found under Wasteland 0.2.0 on BaNaNaS due to my earlier mistake.

Enjoy!

===================================
[0.2.0]

Update time! Finally! :shock:

Sorry to those of you who have been waiting to see some progress on the set, it's taken MUCH longer than I wanted it to to get this ready, but I've made some decent progress at least. Version 0.2.0 brings some big updates, most notably the addition of Road Vehicles! I've included a full compliment of nearly 150 unique road vehicles spanning over 100 years of gameplay. Now be warned, there's been next to no playtesting with these vehicles yet, so all I know is that these vehicles will be somewhere between 100% perfect and completely broken :P There is much tweaking and balancing to be done for sure, but only with thorough playtesting can that be achieved. That takes a lot of time which I haven't had, so if you have some suggestions please bring them forward!

I've also not had the time to draw unique graphics for all of these vehicles, as that's also very time consuming. I'll be pecking away at it in the months (years?) to come but if you have some sprites you'd like to contribute, or even just some ideas on some vehicle designs, that would be awesome. There's no shortage of vehicles available to fill graphics in, so any help is appreciated!

Another fairly major change is that I've corrected the behavior of the Food Lab industry such that all required cargoes must be delivered in order to produce Clean Food, unlike before where any delivered cargo would trigger production. Once all three cargoes are available in the stockpile the industry will begin producing Clean Food until the supplies of one or all of the cargoes are exhausted. I wasn't able to implement it exactly the way I wanted to (where delivery is time-dependent), but at least it works better than it did.

Also included in this update are better house sprites (i.e. no more colored cubes!), proper river/canal graphics, matching road surfaces for bridges/tunnels/etc, several parameters to turn off each part of the set, improved cargo icons courtesy DanMack, and some other miscellaneous tweaks and fixes. Unfortunately a few of the changes made it necessary to break savegame compatibility so this update will not work with existing games. I'll try not to break compatibility too often from here on so as not to ruin any new games.

Well, I think that's everything. I'm making Wasteland 0.2.0 available on Bananas in addition to here to reach a wider audience, and so if anyone wants to test it online it will be more available. Enjoy! :)

Also, about a month ago I released a Wasteland Town Name set on Bananas which greatly expands on the idea started by Redirect Left. I definitely recommend using it in your games to complete the apocalyptic atmosphere!

======ORIGINAL POST=======
This is my idea of a post-apocalypse set for OpenTTD. I wanted to do something a little different than just a graphical change, I wanted a new challenge, so I came up with the idea of making this set goal-driven (there is no GameScript or anything to go with it, but maybe in the future). I'd like to get some feedback on the concept as well as the play-ability of the set. I've done a little playtesting myself, but I want to see how other players fare, and how many problems can be encountered. In particular, there should never be a case where a town can't be saved, so if you manage to get stuck somehow, let me know. :)

Not everything is fully functional yet (many industries aren't complete code-wise, railtypes half-finished, etc.), and especially the house graphics aren't exactly pretty :P, but it should be enough to make the core gameplay work. There are also no vehicles yet, so you'll need separate vehicle sets which support additional cargoes (I recommend OpenGFX+ Trains/RV's, it's what I've used for testing and seems to work ok).

I hate to release it so incomplete, but some outside testers might be useful at this point. And maybe it'll get someone else interested in helping (mostly with graphics!) ;)

This set requires OpenTTD 1.3.0 (r24186) or greater. Also, don't expect future releases to be savegame compatible, so don't get too attached to your games. Hope you enjoy it :)
-----------------------
9-24-20 - 0.5.0 released, adding roadtypes, new graphics, and bugfixes
7-8-18 - 0.4.0 released, adding revamped industry behavior, autorefit support, and much more
5-20-18 - 0.3.1 released, adding some parameters
8-20-16 - 0.3.0 released, adding trains, ships, aircraft, and a lot more
6-26-15 - 0.2.1 released, just fixing some bugs
5-31-15 - 0.2.0 released adding road vehicles, new houses, and more. Also now released on Bananas
5-3-14 - New version uploaded, just fixing a few things. This version should be savegame compatible with the first one
4-25-14 - Initial test release[/size]
Attachments
wasteland_vehicle_list_0.3.0.png
(170.24 KiB) Not downloaded yet
wasteland.tar
(4.34 MiB) Downloaded 363 times
wasteland-source-0.5.0.zip
(6.31 MiB) Downloaded 336 times
Last edited by Andrew350 on 24 Sep 2020 15:49, edited 8 times in total.
supermop
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Wasteland [WIP] - Testers wanted

Post by supermop »

Neat!

Trying it now. One immediate observation is that using this with the default town names gives moments that seem humorously twee for the intended bleak atmosphere!
Quaint.JPG
Quaint.JPG (126.18 KiB) Viewed 44082 times
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

The funniest part would probably be that growing towns apparently build ruined houses. xD
arikover
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by arikover »

I think you first have to bring the houses some basic stuff first in order to rebuild them.

Anyway I find this idea really cool!
Any ideas yet on the vehicles?
Brumi
President
President

Post by Brumi »

Whoa, this is pretty complete for a 'first look testing' release. An all-in-one industry set, landscape set and house set, this is really impressive. How long have you been working on it? :)
Dave

Post by Dave »

Andrew mate this is brilliant.

The concept is so exciting. I'm not able to test right now... Have you been able to get the desired effect into the code?
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...
supermop
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by supermop »

Yellow is the color of hope and progress here!
progress.JPG
progress.JPG (111.88 KiB) Viewed 44056 times
Also I hope the wastelanders don't come to pillage my HQ with it's wanton wasteful consumption of water as evidenced by it's green lawns!

This is lot's of fun so far - I recommend HEQS crawlers in brown and dark green to compliment the setting! And no offense to any Finns, but Finnish names look better than the whimsical fake british ones.

As for ideas on shack graphics, maybe some sheds used in ISR and various bits of material from other sets' construction stages could be used under GPL as place holders?
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

i think a NewGRF can check the start date and thus provide different sets of houses for game start (ruins from the 'old world') vs. houses that grow over time (first improvised stuff from leftover materials, later improving once the economy recovers)
Andrew350
Chairman
Chairman

Post by Andrew350 »

Thanks everyone :) It's encouraging to see screenshots of others' success, apparently it's not too difficult or confusing?
Pyoro wrote:The funniest part would probably be that growing towns apparently build ruined houses. xD
arikover wrote:I think you first have to bring the houses some basic stuff first in order to rebuild them.
Indeed, no new houses can be built until supplies are delivered.
arikover wrote:Any ideas yet on the vehicles?
No, not really. After playing a bit I kind of got a basic feel for what's needed, but I haven't put any thought into specifics. That's an area open to suggestions :)
Brumi wrote:How long have you been working on it?
I drew up the plans and started working on it in June of last year, but most of the work has happened in the last couple months :)
Dave wrote:Have you been able to get the desired effect into the code?
I think so, yes. Time will tell if there needs to be any tweaks, but for the most part I think it works as intended.
supermop wrote:As for ideas on shack graphics, maybe some sheds used in ISR and various bits of material from other sets' construction stages could be used under GPL as place holders?
That's certainly a possibility, I've already reused lots of stuff from OpenGFX to make things easier, but I want to be careful not to get too carried away with it. I'd hate to have this end up looking like a piecemeal of other sets! :P Maybe I'll look around and see if anything fits the bill for temporary use though.
Eddi wrote:i think a NewGRF can check the start date and thus provide different sets of houses for game start (ruins from the 'old world') vs. houses that grow over time (first improvised stuff from leftover materials, later improving once the economy recovers)
Sorry, I'm not quite sure what you're trying to say here. Is this a suggestion, or?
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

Andrew350 wrote:
Eddi wrote:i think a NewGRF can check the start date and thus provide different sets of houses for game start (ruins from the 'old world') vs. houses that grow over time (first improvised stuff from leftover materials, later improving once the economy recovers)
Sorry, I'm not quite sure what you're trying to say here. Is this a suggestion, or?
more like conceptual advise. but i don't know how you coded your set.

the point was that "destroyed houses" should not be built after game start.
Andrew350
Chairman
Chairman

Post by Andrew350 »

Ah, yes, that was an important part of the design. The way I've done that is by simply using the building_flag HOUSE_FLAG_ONLY_SE, which seems to allow those houses to be built only during town generation. :)
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

aha, that sounds even simpler than what i had in mind.
DanMacK
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DanMacK »

Oh this is brilliant! Love it so far! Did you have a scheme worked out for vehicles at all?
Attachments
Wasteland1.png
A "Cyclops" Diesel engine waits to load minerals. The tracks have been reclaimed from elsewhere and the speeds are low.
(137.54 KiB) Downloaded 5 times
Wasteland2.png
The village of Pondwood is slowly removing old buildings and turning them into new shacks for people. Supply trains haul in water and food and trucks take workers to the nearby Iron Ore mine.
(91.57 KiB) Downloaded 5 times
3iff
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by 3iff »

Just had a very quick try at this and it looks impressive. I'll be able to have a proper look at it tonight.
YNM
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by YNM »

The idea is great. Say that you're just (re)starting after the (nuclear) third world war ! You have limited money, people (uh, wastelanders) are putting stakes at you for helping their recovery ! The plants available are mutated (yeah, i'd call them mutated foods), and they have to be re-engineered back to it's usual state in an ex-government biolab (in a bunker) so it can be ate safely ! Water are contaminated; they too have to be brought to the lab (could be the same, could be different) for reprocessing into clean water ! Iron and minerals are the same as before through, no need to worry about how to build your vehicles !

More suggestions :
  • Seeds production should be like, really low. This means that producing clean food will be really hard. And if possible, it should take like 2 months before clean foods are started to be produced by the biolab.
  • If a town have it's stockpiles of clean food, clean waters, building materials, and clothing (yeah, a clothing chain) more than what it needs normal people (non-wastelanders) will start to appear. probably needs a GS, else use after a certain decades have elapsed.
  • Vehicles should looks like converted military vehicles. Humvee on tracks, anyone ?
  • You can send either wastelanders or non-wastelanders to any industry. Non-wastelanders works better through.
  • Town population generally decreases (say, one after several years), and stays at the same level if mutated food or contaminated water is delivered.
  • Livestock might be available too.
YNM = yoursNotMine - Don't get it ?
「ヨーッスノットマイン」もと申します。
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

Looks great so far, I hope you continue it to completion.

I agree with the above post by YNM, vehicles being converted military vehicles, or perhaps bashed together regular vehicles with all sorts of random crap shoved on them.
Also, I assume you've not overlooked it, but bus stops & truck stops need altering too, perhaps have them as just really poor quality things rigged up out of corrugated metals, or similar metals that'd look like they recovered and re-used it from somewhere?

edit: a shodily put together road depot using perhaps mis-matched colored metals may be look pretty neat too, give the feeling that they're really struggling to get things up and running.
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
YNM
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by YNM »

Was thinking that it could be matched to the landscapes in Terminator Salvation, but I realized we can't portray Skynet...
「ヨーッスノットマイン」もと申します。
Dave

Post by Dave »

YNM wrote: The plants available are mutated (yeah, i'd call them mutated foods),
Or irradiated food. Which is essentially the same thing that Andrew already used.
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...
YNM
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by YNM »

Well, mutation isn't just by radiation... Also, canned foods are sterilized by radiation so that the term "irradiated food" for me sounds healthier than clean food at first... (Really, that was my thought the first time I saw it !)
「ヨーッスノットマイン」もと申します。

Return to “Graphics Development”