Farm Objects

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

alluke
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Re: Farm Objects

Post by alluke »

Forklifts on a farm... Don't they use forks attached to tractor's front loader instead? :roll:
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

Maybe. Some don't.
If you want to emulate - for example - a certain Californian slaughter house that pushes cows with forklifts and got sued for that: you can! If that isn't awesome I don't know what is ...

Yeah, admittedly I didn't think too deeply about those forklifts. ^^
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by andythenorth »

alluke wrote:Forklifts on a farm... Don't they use forks attached to tractor's front loader instead? :roll:
Yes. Every farm in the world in fact does this. Because fork lifts are in fact illegal everywhere on farms. Silly old newgrf this is.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

A warehouse forklift on a farm, though, is pretty impractical. Typically the wheels are too small and can't clear debris. If a farm had a large barn or warehouse, or pavement to move stuff around on skids, then maybe. But, every farm I've ever been on (including the one I grew up on) if it needed a forklift it would be attached to a tractor, either on the front with dump loading arms, or on the back directly attached to the PTO.
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by andythenorth »

kamnet wrote:A warehouse forklift on a farm, though, is pretty impractical.
So more or less impractical than turning up in a thread and making 'rolleyes' criticism of people's work?

Not you I'm referring to Kamnet (obvious I hope). ;)
Roslav
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Roslav »

If you don't want forklift on farm, just dont use the tile with forklift. That tile can still be used elsewhere ex. cargo station. Don't let realism stand in creators way :P
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

I'm currently bringing this one up-to-date, a bit. Mostly for some better groundtile handling and some other small things - but since I animated those parking spots and figured out how to code that, it wouldn't be a huge deal to animate the animals here.

I'm just a bit undecided between having them "actually" animated as in "walking around" and just "changes sprites every few weeks or so" or "just use animation to have random animals". I thought "properly" animated farm animals (like Supercheese's awesome seagulls) are maybe kinda odd with how OTTD is otherwise largely static. Kinda ... annoying, maybe? Just changing sprites allows for a bit of variety without really bother the player. Or they can only pick a random animation after building, then you'll have to rebuild the tile to get something else, but you can kinda "micro" what exactly you want ...

Anyways, I'm open to suggestions.

Oh, and if anyone has an opinion on farm animals and snow-tiles let me know about that, too, please. Largely concerns those playing with variable snow heights, I'd assume ;)
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

After a year of intense debate I decided to finally make a decision on this :roll: Sorry to interrupt :mrgreen:

What the GRF so far has:
[x] same various animals as before, except now (like the parking spots) they occasionally change appearance (but they aren't animated in the sense of "animals walking around") and the snow-transition-tile works better
[x] same old farm tiles. Except they are now snow-aware (with static snow-lines I thought static tiles were more useful, but when playing with dynamic snow-lines the reverse is true, so...)
[x] same old farm objects. Some already were snow-aware, now they'll all be (kind of).
[x] fenced farm tiles that are animated. So they periodically change appearance ... with how the tiles are ordered this "animation" doesn't make as much "sense" as the animation actual industry farm tiles have but I suppose it's something.
farmfarmfarm.png
farmfarmfarm.png (39.55 KiB) Viewed 2248 times
There's still a bunch of glitches were bounding boxes aren't properly set and such, so hopefully I'll fix these annoying things over the weekend. And then check out a bunch of different climates and such and see that everything is OK...ish there, too.

But I thought as a personal reminder I'd post this ;) Also, in case anyone always secretly felt that X or Y needed to be different in this GRF, now's a good time to speak up ^^

e: Purchase menu is still pretty much the same:
farmpurchase.png
farmpurchase.png (26.92 KiB) Viewed 2240 times
The main difference is in the animations, so you can have more variations of ... chicken. For example. ^^
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

Alright, it ain't perfect, but what is?

NOT savegame compatible!

As usual I'll wait for a bananas upload in case anyone finds anything that needs urgent fixing ;)
Enjoy ^^
Attachments
farmobjects.grf
(133.24 KiB) Downloaded 113 times
farmobjects_source_v4.zip
(54.39 KiB) Downloaded 83 times
JacobD88
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by JacobD88 »

Great work Pyoro, i'll download, test, and let you know if I find anything <3
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

Thanks ;)

And also: ooops :oops: I simply forgot, playing around with some other stuff*. Expect it to be uploaded soon / sometime today ^^;

(mostly I experimented with fruit trees having food growth cycles. But I'll upload as is and come back to that maybe some other time)

Return to “Graphics Development”