[OTTD] 2cc TrainsInNML

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

How do you use the regional parameters?

Only one region enabled
14%
Multiple regions (but not all) enabled
31%
All regions enabled
54%

Total votes: 138

Voyager One
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: [OTTD] 2cc TrainsInNML

Post by Voyager One »

No wait, I've just checked.
90-95% of them is:
1st row (front engine) - 1st sprite on top, 5th sprite on bottom (regardless lenght)
2nd row (i.e. steam loco tenders or shorter MUs) - 1st sprite on bottom, 5th sprite on top (regardless lenght)
3rd & 4th (shorter MUs) - 1st sprite on bottom, 5th sprite on top (regardless lenght)

OTOH, I've noticed that the other 5-10% is a mess... These are mostly my very early files when I didn't truly know what the hell I'm doing... :mrgreen:
Leon

Image Image Image Image
"... all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by..." - John Masefield
Voyager One
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Voyager One »

@Transportman

I've started making life easier for you and I will be done very very soon...

I'm retemplating some files, especially some older ones. I won't mess with railbuses and maglevs that you've already added to the set but I will do everything else (already done electrics, diesels and steamers). Unfortunately for you, I'm doing my files only...

So, all templates will be as following:

1st row (front engine) - 1st sprite to the top, 5th sprite to the bottom, others as I've previously written - NORMAL SPRITE ORDER
2nd row (tender/rear engine) - 1st sprite to the bottom, 5th sprite to the top, others as I've previously written - REVERSED SPRITE ORDER FOR REAR ENGINES BUT NOT FOR TENDERS
3rd and so on row - 1st sprite to the bottom, 5th sprite to the top, others as I've previously written - NORMAL SPRITE ORDER

I will ZIP all files and give you the complete archive.

Is this OK with you?
Leon

Image Image Image Image
Transportman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Transportman »

Voyager One wrote:@Transportman

I've started making life easier for you and I will be done very very soon...

I'm retemplating some files, especially some older ones. I won't mess with railbuses and maglevs that you've already added to the set but I will do everything else (already done electrics, diesels and steamers). Unfortunately for you, I'm doing my files only...
That will be appreciated. Luckily, you made a lot of sprites, so that will really be a big step already. And those sprites remaining I first have to figure out who made what, to be sure that they can be included.
So, all templates will be as following:

1st row (front engine) - 1st sprite to the top, 5th sprite to the bottom, others as I've previously written - NORMAL SPRITE ORDER
2nd row (tender/rear engine) - 1st sprite to the bottom, 5th sprite to the top, others as I've previously written - REVERSED SPRITE ORDER FOR REAR ENGINES BUT NOT FOR TENDERS
3rd and so on row - 1st sprite to the bottom, 5th sprite to the top, others as I've previously written - NORMAL SPRITE ORDER

I will ZIP all files and give you the complete archive.

Is this OK with you?
I would prefer them in this template from your first post in this topic. That is the same as the template for railbuses, metros and maglev.

So for all sprites (Front engines, tenders, wagons) except Rear Engine sprites (back end of MUs, as those are reversed):
Sprite #1 - engine going up - aligned always to the top
Sprite #2 - engine going up+right - aligned always to the bottom right + 1px upwards for every 1px shorter sprite (i.e. lenght 8/8 is aligned to the bottom, 7/8 is 1px up, 6/8 is 2px up etc.)
Sprite #3 - engine going right - aligned always to the bottom right
Sprite #4 - engine going down+right - aligned always to the bottom right
Sprite #5 - engine going down - aligned always to the bottom
Sprite #6 - engine going down+left - aligned always to the bottom left
Sprite #7 - engine going left - aligned always to the bottom left
Sprite #8 - engine going up+left - aligned always to the bottom left + 1px upwards for every 1px shorter sprite (i.e. lenght 8/8 is aligned to the bottom, 7/8 is 1px up, 6/8 is 2px up etc.)
For reversed sprites (back end of MUs) I would prefer it as I described here:
#1: Bottom
#2: Bottom left
#3: Bottom left
#4: Bottom left + 1px up for each 1/8 shorter train
#5: Top
#6: Bottom right + 1 px up for each 1/8 shorter train
#7: Bottom right
#8: Bottom right
The sprite-order is a bit different than the other rows, but follows the original sprite-order.

This reaction has a complete spritesheet as it is currently implemented.

I hope this is not too much extra work or is different then what you already did.

If you save your files, I would also appreciate it if you save them with a bit more descriptive filenames than the old set. If possible like Country_FullName.png, replacing all ' - / with _, but just FullName.png would also make it easier for me to identify files.

Again, your work is greatly appreciated, thank you.
Coder of the Dutch Trackset | Development support for the Dutch Trainset | Coder of the 2cc TrainsInNML
Voyager One
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Voyager One »

Understood. Let's say that I've already done most of it... except rear engines that you require a little bit different than I've started realigning... :mrgreen: Don't worry, all will be done in a day or two, I'll PM you the whole thing.

I'll realign all, even those things that you've already included in the set, you choose what to use. :wink:
Leon

Image Image Image Image
Voyager One
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Voyager One »

Well, just to inform the "general population", Transportman is a little bit busy with RL so the coding process is currently slower than... well... me. :lol:

I've redone some older things of mine that were plain ugly and I've also decided to take a look at what are we still missing... and I've found these three (for start):
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/KkStB_4.0 (goods steam railbus)
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/UeBB_CZm_1/2 (steam railbus)
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C4%8CSD-Baureihe_EM_400.0 (early electric railbus)

... so here they are...
kkStB Class 4.0.PNG
kkStB Class 4.0.PNG (9.51 KiB) Viewed 5511 times
UeBB Czm 1-2.PNG
UeBB Czm 1-2.PNG (9.56 KiB) Viewed 5511 times
CSD M400.PNG
CSD M400.PNG (9.76 KiB) Viewed 5511 times
More to come and suggestions are also welcome.

P.S. Please, don't suggest something that we already have or something that is very close in stats to what we already have. I.e. - unfortunately - those Indonesian locomotives suggested in the old thread - we already have one of them (under a different name) and the other one would be completely obsolete as there are more than one locomotives with very very similar stats already included in the set. No offense to anyone, it's certainly not about "we can have this country but not this other one", find something that is missing and I'll seriously consider all!
Leon

Image Image Image Image
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

Voyager One wrote:Well, just to inform the "general population", Transportman is a little bit busy with RL so the coding process is currently slower than... well... me. :lol:

I've redone some older things of mine that were plain ugly and I've also decided to take a look at what are we still missing... and I've found these three (for start):
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/KkStB_4.0 (goods steam railbus)
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/UeBB_CZm_1/2 (steam railbus)
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C4%8CSD-Baureihe_EM_400.0 (early electric railbus)

... so here they are...
kkStB Class 4.0.PNG
UeBB Czm 1-2.PNG
CSD M400.PNG
Nice! Good work!
P.S. Please, don't suggest something that we already have or something that is very close in stats to what we already have. I.e. - unfortunately - those Indonesian locomotives suggested in the old thread - we already have one of them (under a different name) and the other one would be completely obsolete as there are more than one locomotives with very very similar stats already included in the set. No offense to anyone, it's certainly not about "we can have this country but not this other one", find something that is missing and I'll seriously consider all!
I disagree. I think country and regional origin of a train should also be taken into considering to determine what is missing. I hope someday we'll have those regional-parameters we talked about for years, so the list of trains can be shortened to make only a certain region available (like America, Africa or Europe). But to make that work, we'll need plenty of trains for each region, even if they have counterparts in other regions.
More to come and suggestions are also welcome.
I did a very quick scan of the list at http://wiki.openttd.org/2cc_TrainSet to see if there's any gaps. What could be interesting is;
  • Steam engines from 1900 or before (there's some big gaps in the 1800-1900 century)
  • Diesel engines after 2011 (because the modern stuff is still fresh in mind)
  • Electric engines in the 2004-2012 period (that gap is surprising)
  • Any SMU
  • DMUs in the 2007-2014 period
  • Railbuses in the periods 1900-1950 and 1997-2014
  • Anything predating the first vehicle (wouldn't mind going back in time, as far back as we can)
  • Perhaps some futuristic stuff (although perhaps it's better to leave this up to another NewGRF project, I prefer to use real-life stuff)
  • Anything not from Europe (because Europe seems to be pretty well represented so far)
  • USA seems to be underrepresented, especially modern stuff
  • A few more MagLev vehicles (though I'm not a fan of MagLev, if we get it in the set, we need a tad more than just 2 vehicles IMO).
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
Voyager One
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Voyager One »

Purno wrote:I disagree. I think country and regional origin of a train should also be taken into considering to determine what is missing. I hope someday we'll have those regional-parameters we talked about for years, so the list of trains can be shortened to make only a certain region available (like America, Africa or Europe). But to make that work, we'll need plenty of trains for each region, even if they have counterparts in other regions.
OK, I might have put this badly. The thing is that those suggested Indonesian locomotives (i.e.) also already have their regional counterparts in some Chinese locomotives.

So, if I may suggest some suggestion guidelines:
- is the suggested engine already represented under some other name/country?
- is the suggested engine already represented by some other engine with fairly similar stats (period, power, TE, speed)?
- is there another fairly similar engine already represented in the same regional area?
- is the suggested engine extremely special about something (i.e. one-of-a-kind, extreme power, special fuel type, special cargo)?

If any or more of these can be answered with "No" (last question with "Yes" of course :mrgreen: ) then it's a very valid suggestion.

With all this in mind, mainly to reply to Purno suggestions, the "missing" list is narrower than you think. :)

EDIT: Purno, what's an SMU? Steam MU or something else? :?
Leon

Image Image Image Image
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

Voyager One wrote:EDIT: Purno, what's an SMU? Steam MU or something else? :?
Obviously :P
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
Voyager One
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Voyager One »

Purno wrote:
Find me one! :D
Leon

Image Image Image Image
PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

Post by PikkaBird »

Voyager One wrote:
Purno wrote:
Find me one! :D
https://www.google.com.au/search?q=stea ... r&tbm=isch :P
Voyager One
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Voyager One »

Not a steam railcar, a steam MU! :lol: :lol: :lol:

BTW, two more found for adding:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rowan_steam_railmotor

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bavarian_MCCi
Picture of a model here: https://az95169.vo.msecnd.net/images/mi ... 08200H.jpg

Coming up soon.
Leon

Image Image Image Image
Transportman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Transportman »

As Voyager One indicated, my RL is currently consuming a lot of time, but I expect to continue somewhere next week and I hope I can make some really big steps then. To make those really big steps, I do need a small bit of help. Please check the spreadsheet and complete missing information. Most importantly, MUs miss the length property of one unit and I'm not sure if all vehicles are included. The list is derived from the list on the wiki, but the date on that list is April 2011, while beta 5 is January 2012, so I expect some vehicles to be missing in the spreadsheet. Also, for some vehicles I do not know who drew the graphics, and from a coding point this is not a problem, but without permissions I can't include them (and no name is no permission for sure).
Purno wrote:I disagree. I think country and regional origin of a train should also be taken into considering to determine what is missing. I hope someday we'll have those regional-parameters we talked about for years, so the list of trains can be shortened to make only a certain region available (like America, Africa or Europe). But to make that work, we'll need plenty of trains for each region, even if they have counterparts in other regions.
The regional parameters might happen someday and I have some ideas on how to do it, but my priority is now on getting everything from the old set in this one. The current idea I have regarding this is to set climates_available to NO_CLIMATE if the region is disabled, but I haven't thought about the exact details yet. It also depends on how many vehicles we have for each region.
Last edited by Transportman on 22 Feb 2014 08:02, edited 1 time in total.
Coder of the Dutch Trackset | Development support for the Dutch Trainset | Coder of the 2cc TrainsInNML
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

Transportman wrote:Most importantly, MUs have no length set
That's working as intended.

Or well, assuming you mean what I think you do. The 2ccSet doesn't limit the length of MU consists. Not a minimum*, neither a maximum.

* Well, 2 vehicles would be a miminum, or it'd be a railbus.
Image Image
Transportman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Transportman »

Purno wrote:
Transportman wrote:Most importantly, MUs have no length set
That's working as intended.

Or well, assuming you mean what I think you do. The 2ccSet doesn't limit the length of MU consists. Not a minimum*, neither a maximum.

* Well, 2 vehicles would be a miminum, or it'd be a railbus.
I meant sprite length, not consist length.

Edited it also in my previous post to remove doubts.
Voyager One
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Voyager One »

Purno wrote:I did a very quick scan of the list at http://wiki.openttd.org/2cc_TrainSet to see if there's any gaps. What could be interesting is;
I've been snooping around a little more than Purno and this is what I've compiled.
2ccSet_01.xls
(20 KiB) Downloaded 94 times
Obviously, green ones are "satisfactory", yellow ones "could be improved" and red ones are "critically missing".

TBH, I didn't expect gaps this big! :(

P.S. It is possible that there were no engines in a certain period, i.e. I don't know how early DMUs did appear or when did the last steam loco come out.

All in all, please, take into consideration this table when posting suggestions. Also, PLEASE, post a link to wiki or similar pages for ANY suggestion because of pics and stats - no use drawing something if you can't find at least some estimated stats.
Leon

Image Image Image Image
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

the age of DMU or diesel railcars basically kicked off in the 1920's, although prototypes existed earlier. in germany, lots of smaller branch lines got into financial troubles and hoped that diesel (or other fuel like benzene) was cheaper to operate than steam.

there were also battery powered railcars, like the prussian A2/AT3 (1907, later called ETA 177)
Voyager One
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Voyager One »

Thank you Eddi! You gave me a few ideas what to look for. Appreciated. :)

In the meantime, I've been browsing trough some sprites that I've done for some other sets and I will use at least 6 of them: NS 700 (steam, Netherlands), NRS 11 (steam, Netherlands), NS 8100 (steam, Netherlands), omBC 2900 (diesel railbus, Netherlands), RhB Ge 6/6 Krokodil (electric, Switzerland) and RhB Ge 4/4 (electric, Switzerland).

... and some others that I've found and have to draw from scratch (with those two steam railbuses from above):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JNR_Class_E10 (late steamer, Japan)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victorian_Railways_R_class (late steamer, Australia)
http://www.martynbane.co.uk/extras/080rebuild/2184.htm (steamer, Spain)
Leon

Image Image Image Image
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

Voyager One wrote:In the meantime, I've been browsing trough some sprites that I've done for some other sets and I will use at least 6 of them: NS 700 (steam, Netherlands), NRS 11 (steam, Netherlands), NS 8100 (steam, Netherlands), omBC 2900 (diesel railbus, Netherlands), RhB Ge 6/6 Krokodil (electric, Switzerland) and RhB Ge 4/4 (electric, Switzerland).
Aren't the Neterhlands and Switzerland already over-represented in the set? :P

EDIT: Also, I can't open .xls files, unless I import them in Google Docs. Perhaps it's an idea to make the spreadsheet in Google Docs right from the start? That could ease up sharing & collaborating, and AFAIK you don't need specific software to use Google Docs :P
Image Image
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

kamnet wrote:You could also install LibreOffice. :-)
Still requires to install software and would results in copies of the file. The main reasons I was suggesting Google Docs is because it doesn't require any software installation (well, a browser, but everyone visiting these forums probably has one installed), and it allows you to share files, so you don't need to spread copies. :)
Image Image

Return to “Graphics Development”