OpenGFX Mars

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

YNM
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: OpenGFX Mars

Post by YNM »

Instead of SUV, MPV or sedans, shouldn't we add MSL instead ? :wink:
YNM = yoursNotMine - Don't get it ?
「ヨーッスノットマイン」もと申します。
Phreeze
Director
Director

Post by Phreeze »

the design could be used for different vehicles transporting <insert those mars ressources here>
YNM
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by YNM »

Or you could have it to harvest mineral on mines, or over the paths...

No, really, but for certain our current MSL is pretty big.
YNM = yoursNotMine - Don't get it ?
「ヨーッスノットマイン」もと申します。
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

Does anyone have any tips for the short dual headed train alignment issues I have? I still can't get them aligned correctly... are there any simple examples around?
Transportman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Transportman »

Zephyris wrote:Does anyone have any tips for the short dual headed train alignment issues I have? I still can't get them aligned correctly... are there any simple examples around?
With dual headed the back end sprites are ordered differently. If you normally have them ordered 12345678 in your graphics file, the back end has order 56781234. You can either do that in the code (template) or in the graphics file. In the 2cc Trains In NML it is done in the graphics file, take a look at this one. The second row is the back end of the train, but all rows use the same template.
Coder of the Dutch Trackset | Development support for the Dutch Trainset | Coder of the 2cc TrainsInNML
trainman1432
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by trainman1432 »

Um, may I suggest a possible veichle being various rovers? Just a thought.
Jetrain
YATTC
CheesePlant
Engineer
Engineer

Post by CheesePlant »

How is this project coming along?
The cruelest dream is reality.
Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Alberth »

Stuck due to lack of coders with enough time to make any progress, currently.
I think at least 60-80% is done as initial step. Once the last bits are in, some play-testing can be done

But foremost it needs a coder with some time to code the missing parts, and fix bugs that will be reported once play-testing starts.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Using OpenTTD 1.4.1, I am not seeing any of the trains available. I've tested in both 2100 and 2500, and see nothing at all. Enabling vehicles_never_expire shows that these trains exist in the 1900s. Can you create a table of when all vehicles are made available and expire?
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

The tables are right in the repository: http://dev.openttdcoop.org/projects/ope ... repository
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

Alberth wrote:Stuck due to lack of coders with enough time to make any progress, currently.
I think at least 60-80% is done as initial step. Once the last bits are in, some play-testing can be done

But foremost it needs a coder with some time to code the missing parts, and fix bugs that will be reported once play-testing starts.
Exactly what Alberth said. Currently finished is:
Most of the terrain (all ground tiles for all climates)
Most of the landscape (all trees, no foundations)
Towns (all buildings replaced)
Most industries (all drawn and coded, but likely buggy)
Most trains (all drawn and coded, but likely buggy)

My problem is I don't have enough time to play test anything at the moment, so I can't pick up on the bugs that need fixing. Pushing to make pixeltool to help draw the vehicles was very useful though, and I could probably knock together the road vehicles sprites quite quickly.
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

Road Vehicles

On Mars road vehicles are very successful, benefiting from the low gravity which allows them to carry large loads on relatively cheap infrastructure. Like the rail engines they are normally powered by biofuel or fuel cells, but typically have tracks rather than wheels to maximise traction in the low gravity, especially in the later years.

Unfortunately I am currently stuck on mobile Internet, so can't commit any changes to the repo, but here is a big zip of all the rover graphics!
Attachments
PixelTool_Rovers.zip
(117.88 KiB) Downloaded 228 times
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

Industry: Life Support

Every Martian town desperately need two things: oxygen and water. Almost every larger settlement has a life support industry which receives deliveries of oxygen and water, and manage its distribution through the colony. Without oxygen daily life becomes nearly impossible, with a huge time and effort devoted to maintaining air balance. Without oxygen it is simply impossible for a town to expand. Water is less vital, as water recycling is far simpler, but providing a town with an ample water supply helps boost growth. Either way, make sure the life support industry of a colony is well supplied if you want it to grow!
Attachments
Industry_LifeSupport.zip
(17.75 KiB) Downloaded 221 times
Marshy
Director
Director

Post by Marshy »

Awesome work Zephyris, this is looking to be an extremely fun environment to play!
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

It is actually coming together quite well, I tried a game with trains and industries and in general it was quite interesting and we'll balanced. Once town cargo acceptance is fixed and the road vehicles are coded it will be very playable. I just need to get the airports and waterways sorted now!
Glynbd
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Glynbd »

Will this work with your Zbase gfx baseset Zephyris?

Thank you guys for your hard work :bow:
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

OpenGFX Mars will mostly overwrite the zBase sprites. You'll still get the larger menu GUI from zBase. I did notice a few glitches with town roads and crossroads in the tropical and arctic environments.
Attachments
ogfxmars.png
ogfxmars.png (69.33 KiB) Viewed 5827 times
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

Glynbd wrote:Will this work with your Zbase gfx baseset Zephyris?

Thank you guys for your hard work :bow:
NewGRFs generally do not know, cannot know and never will know which base set is used by a user. Thus they work with every base set or not at all.
Eddy Arfik
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Eddy Arfik »

planetmaker wrote: NewGRFs generally do not know, cannot know and never will know which base set is used by a user. Thus they work with every base set or not at all.
So if a GRF intends to supply different sprites depending on which base set is in use, to give compatability between for example Original and OpenGFX, this must be done by user parameter, it is not possible to auto-detect in this case?
Sylf
President
President

Post by Sylf »

Eddy Arfik wrote:So if a GRF intends to supply different sprites depending on which base set is in use,
No, NewGRF cannot detect what base set is used by the player.

Return to “Graphics Development”