2CC Ship Set (Former North American Ship Set) - *Relaunched*

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: 2CC Ship Set (Former North American Ship Set) - *Relaunched*

Post by Purno »

zilfondel wrote:Hey I would like to help out with this project! I am an art student, some graphic arts experience, never done isometric art, but I'm a lifelong TTD player and I'd like to help put some 'oomph' into the shipset.
If you got experience with pixel art and got some mathical geometrical vision, isometric shouldn't be a problem. :)

Just try drawing something and we'll see :)
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
zilfondel
Engineer
Engineer

Post by zilfondel »

^^^ Okay

Just for fun, this is an old picture of steamboats where I live, from 1915:

from wikipedia

Some cool old Erie Canal pictures here:

http://www.eriecanal.org/westcentral-1.html

skelgaard
Engineer
Engineer

Post by skelgaard »

well this seems to have been in develop for 5 years now... are there ever gonna be a release ?
jvassie
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by jvassie »

skelgaard wrote:well this seems to have been in develop for 5 years now... are there ever gonna be a release ?
With the very helpful attitude your displaying, I'm guessing you intend to have no part in helping with it.. :roll:

Remember all of the people developing grf's for you to play with are volunteers and do so in their own time, so putting that sort of pressure on them is unacceptable.

Gah. [/rant]
(British) Modular Stations Set - Thread: | Website:
Swiss Set - Thread: | Website:
Route Map Creator
My Screenshot Thread
skelgaard
Engineer
Engineer

Post by skelgaard »

jvassie wrote: With the very helpful attitude your displaying, I'm guessing you intend to have no part in helping with it.. :roll:
that i newer said, but i'm still new to openttd and making of grf's...
so you will newer know, what i may and may not do.
jvassie wrote: Remember all of the people developing grf's for you to play with are volunteers and do so in their own time, so putting that sort of pressure on them is unacceptable.

Gah. [/rant]
that i know.. i have been part of several open source teams, but newer used 5 years and not even an alpha or beta release of anything.... also its more than ½ year since last update from them about anything....
jvassie
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by jvassie »

skelgaard wrote:
jvassie wrote: With the very helpful attitude your displaying, I'm guessing you intend to have no part in helping with it.. :roll:
that i newer said, but i'm still new to openttd and making of grf's...
so you will newer know, what i may and may not do.
Until you actually do something yeah...
skelgaard wrote:
jvassie wrote: Remember all of the people developing grf's for you to play with are volunteers and do so in their own time, so putting that sort of pressure on them is unacceptable.

Gah. [/rant]
that i know.. i have been part of several open source teams, but newer used 5 years and not even an alpha or beta release of anything.... also its more than ½ year since last update from them about anything....
Regardless of how long it has been, the point still stands, and if you wanted to the know the progress of the set, there are much more subtle ways to ask than you did.

Perhaps you might step back and think, yes they are volunteers, yes this is something they do in their own time, not all of their spare time is going to be dedicated to this, hell, maybe not even all of their time related to TTD is spent developing this.. All I ask is that you have a bit more subtlety and be a bit less blunt please.
(British) Modular Stations Set - Thread: | Website:
Swiss Set - Thread: | Website:
Route Map Creator
My Screenshot Thread
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by andythenorth »

Off-topic: there's quite a few threads kicking around in here (and in the OpenTTD section) where newbies are getting a kicking for asking dumb questions.

Some of these questions are asked in a dumb way but we can be nicer about how we deal with it. We don't need to be kicking people. (@jvassie - your response reads mostly reasonably to me, but could we have done without the rant bit?).

The answer to the question 'is it ever going to be done?' is 'maybe'. It's a fair question. Could be better asked, but it's a fair question. The reason ( I believe) that the 2CC Ship set isn't released is that the people working on it aren't very engaged - for whatever good personal reasons they have.

Similar thing happened on Leanden's ship thread in OpenTTD graphics - people jumping on someone who is trying to contribute something to the game. We can either give people a bit of a kicking, in which case the community is unfriendly and discouraging to newcomers, or we can help them understand how to participate and ask good questions.

I get asked pretty often by PM and in threads when my sets will be done. It can be annoying, but at least it shows people are interested and want to use the set. I'd rather have that than deafening silence.

I'm *not* saying tolerate dumb questions, I *am* saying help people ask better questions, and do it nicely. I don't want to be part of a hostile community.
Doorslammer
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Doorslammer »

Don't worry, we don't get half as many stupid questions as the Nitto 1320 forums do... ;)
Quast65
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: 2CC Ship Set (Former North American Ship Set) - *Relaunc

Post by Quast65 »

Sorry for the massive bump and digging this thread up. But as I have been given the kind permission of using ships that are also featured in this set as new-objects for my harbour development and having them recolored a bit. I was wondering if it could be possible to make a new release with normal colored hulls (for example greytoned or black) and not companycolored hulls. It would make the ships look even better in my opinion.

EDIT: Ignore request, I didn't know it was possible to set the cc-colors for vehicles seperately :oops: The ships have a lovely grey hull now ;-)
Projects: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=57266
Screenshots: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=56959
Scenario of The Netherlands: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=87604

Winner of the following screenshot competitions:
sep 2012, jan 2013, apr 2013, aug 2013, mar 2014, mar 2016, oct 2020
All my work is released under GPL-license (either V2 or V3), if not clearly stated otherwise.
buttercup
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by buttercup »

Yay, bump.

It wasn't well advertised, but there is a release for this here.

I'll be the first to admit that I didn't handle the coding duties of this very well. I prefer to be told what to do rather than have to decide things for myself and I felt that I wasn't getting enough input regarding specs and details and whatnot; interpersonal skills not being my forte, however, the other people involved weren't made aware of this, and development stalled. For that I apologise.

I don't know how much further people want this to be developed. I am still available to code stuff if need be but it might be a better idea to have someone with a little more experience take over.

Also, I have been asked to put this on Banananas. Any objections before I do so? Shall I put it up in its current state?
Kogut
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Kogut »

"edit: and i know that it is published without purno's permission, but i don't care" may be problem - but AFAIK purno is active so he may be asked
Correct me If I am wrong - PM me if my English is bad
AIAI - AI for OpenTTD
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Gravedigging, but I don't want to see this set disappear forever. It could use an update for FIRS 3.0 cargoes. And, maybe, Purno's blessing to publish? ;)

Return to “Graphics Development”