World Landmark(s) Set

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

StepanBarth
Engineer
Engineer

Re: World Landmark(s) Set

Post by StepanBarth »

If you want to make something very unique, you shall try to draw this. :)
Hans Kruzer
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Hans Kruzer »

I do guess it would be a better idea if we merge this development with Supercheese's set :D Since there might be a better chance of it surviving the ruthless world of the TT-forums
There surely we can get more hands to work on making sprites and coding and everything else
Tschüß!
Supercheese
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Supercheese »

The only issue is I cannot distribute the original source files I derived some sprites in my set from under the GPL (hence why it's CC-BY-NC-SA licensed). I suppose a dual-licensing scheme is not out of the question, but I would be willing to help code this set separately if having the set 100% GPL is a better way to go than mixing licenses.
Eyecandy Road Vehicles | Fake Subways | Supercheese's NewObjects

"Fashions and cultures change, but steam trains shall always be majestic."
-Professor Hershel Layton
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

In light of that news, I think coding this separately makes the most sense. With NewObject limits rising in the next version, having more sets isn't going to be a hindrance. For my personal preference, I'd rather have sets with distinct themes rather than sets that are a mash-up of things.
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

Although it's of course a slight disadvantage when it comes to the NewGRF limit. But I agree, keeping things thematically separate makes probably more sense.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Pyoro wrote:Although it's of course a slight disadvantage when it comes to the NewGRF limit.
Only with older versions of OpenTTD. Since r25830, the NewObject class limit has been raised to 256, and 64,000 unique objects.
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

I'm talking about how many GRFs you can load at the same time though. Isn't that still at 63 (or something like that)? Obviously if you want to use Supercheese's object AND World Landmark Set it'd use up 2 GRF slots instead of 1, if the sets were merged.
FS#5117 - Raise max loaded NewGRF limit
Attached to Project: OpenTTD
Opened by Supercheese (Supercheese) - Wednesday, 21 March 2012, 20:04 GMT
It's still open, anyway ^^
Hans Kruzer
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Hans Kruzer »

Meanwhile, Hans brings Flags!
I do fear I screwed up on the lamp posts. I tried to make them look eyecandy as possible!
Attachments
Flags.PNG
Flags.PNG (12.11 KiB) Viewed 3044 times
Tschüß!
Hans Kruzer
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Hans Kruzer »

8)
Complete(in picture):
1) Fernsehturm Berlin
2) Europaturm Frankfurt
3) Fernmeldeturm Nürnberg
4) Olympiaturm München
Incomplete:
5) Heinrich-Hertz Turm Hamburg
6) Rheinturm Düsseldorf

I'll start with a few of the main German TV towers which I am familliar with and most other towers in the rest of the world are very similar.
Attachments
DeutschTelekom.PNG
DeutschTelekom.PNG (16.13 KiB) Viewed 2841 times
Last edited by Hans Kruzer on 19 Jan 2014 23:58, edited 7 times in total.
Tschüß!
YNM
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by YNM »

You realized that the POV in OTTD are somewhat above the clouds, right ? Those two later landmarks looks as if it's tilted to the back...

And the lightpost, it's not annoying, but seems you got it on a somewhat wrong perspective (makes it looks like a diagonal wrt to tiles grid), or is it intended because the inner (nearer to flag) lamp is lower than the outer (farther from flag) one ?
YNM = yoursNotMine - Don't get it ?
「ヨーッスノットマイン」もと申します。
Hans Kruzer
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Hans Kruzer »

YNM wrote:You realized that the POV in OTTD are somewhat above the clouds, right ? Those two later landmarks looks as if it's tilted to the back...
I changed with the 2nd landmark, the 3rd I am still working on but I updated the above picture. Silly me, drawing it as it looks from a normal point of view :P

YNM wrote:or is it intended because the inner (nearer to flag) lamp is lower than the outer (farther from flag) one ?
Sure :lol:
Attachments
I edited it, finally! Not much has been done, except polishing the torch and removing random blue and purple lines.<br /><br />Original by Sketchup
I edited it, finally! Not much has been done, except polishing the torch and removing random blue and purple lines.

Original by Sketchup
Monas.PNG (6.08 KiB) Viewed 2873 times
Tschüß!
Hans Kruzer
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Hans Kruzer »

I decide to take a break from towers and begin work with Munich's Olympic park. As you guess, the Olympiaturm is already done and I am working on the Olympic Hall. Then perhaps I will finish with Allianz Arena.

Now after that, I don't really want to keep making random landmarks which have no demand, does anyone have a specific request? Suggestions?
Attachments
Used Default Trees.
Used Default Trees.
Olympiapark.PNG (11.61 KiB) Viewed 2796 times
Tschüß!
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Seattle Space Needle
St. Louis' Gateway Arch
Statue of Liberty
Eiffel Tower
Blackpool Tower
London Eye
Leaning Tower of Pisa
Christ Redeemer
WWTBAM

Post by WWTBAM »

kamnet wrote:Seattle Space Needle
St. Louis' Gateway Arch
Statue of Liberty
Eiffel Tower
Blackpool Tower
London Eye
Leaning Tower of Pisa
Christ Redeemer
I like the idea of the Leaning Tower of Pisa.
How about the Sydney Harbour Bridge or Sydney Opera House or Sydney's Centre Point Tower.
Formerly known as r0b0t_b0y2003, robotboy, roboboy and beclawat. The best place to get the most recent nightly builds of TTDPatch is: http://roboboy.users.tt-forums.net/TTDPatch/nightlies/
Andrew350
Chairman
Chairman

Post by Andrew350 »

If someone else feels like trying the Space Needle, I started a version of it based on the Google Sketchup warehouse model. I'd be lying to myself if I thought I'd actually get around to finishing it anytime soon :lol:. Maybe my rough attempt will be of some use to someone more ambitious?
Attachments
spaceneedle1.png
spaceneedle1.png (8.73 KiB) Viewed 2766 times
Hans Kruzer
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Hans Kruzer »

Andrew350 wrote:Maybe my rough attempt will be of some use to someone more ambitious?
Impressive!! :bow: I remember you mentioning a long long time ago in, October you would bring about a Space Needle :D

Well, I took it, and smoothened out the colouring, just a slight bit especially for the roof, added more shadowy effects...And Space Needle has a very large base, so I put it on a 2x2 land plot instead of 1x1 tile. For this I edited the base larger, and added the glass roof that appears to go around halfway. :D
Perhaps I made it worse, but anyways, I tried
kamnet wrote:Seattle Space Needle
St. Louis' Gateway Arch
Statue of Liberty
Eiffel Tower
Blackpool Tower
London Eye
Leaning Tower of Pisa
Christ Redeemer
All of these are interesting. I'll do in order, perhaps next I will start the Gateway Arch, which should be easy.
roboboy wrote: How about the Sydney Harbour Bridge or Sydney Opera House or Sydney's Centre Point Tower.
The 2 latter I would be excited to make, the Opera house will probably be on a 2x2 tile as well. However I don't think is possible to make the Sydney Harbour Bridge an 'object'. I would put it in a bridge set, as chances are you would want road vehicles to use it :P
Attachments
space needle.PNG
space needle.PNG (7.42 KiB) Viewed 2752 times
Tschüß!
WWTBAM

Post by WWTBAM »

I would rather it be a bridge. Why cant we have a world landmark bridge set :?: I can think of one or two other bridges for it. Tower Bridge in London and the Forth Rail Bridge.
Formerly known as r0b0t_b0y2003, robotboy, roboboy and beclawat. The best place to get the most recent nightly builds of TTDPatch is: http://roboboy.users.tt-forums.net/TTDPatch/nightlies/
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

... because nobody coded flexible NewGRF bridges yet..
skippern
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by skippern »

Some examples from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil:
Candelária Church.

Old Zeppelin Hangar from Bartolomeu de Gusmão Airport (closed)

Christ the Redeemer (statue)

Estádio do Maracanã

Sambadrome Marquês de Sapucaí
Skippern
OpenTTD Mac user

Return to “Graphics Development”