"Iron Horse" - A modular train set based slightly in reality

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

SimYouLater
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Re: "Iron Horse" - A modular train set based slightly in reality

Post by SimYouLater »

SimYouLater wrote:It would be nice if this set had a streamlined train. I used to pair it with UKRS1, but then I realized the graphics don't match as well as I first thought.
Because I'll probably be glossed over for being the last post on the previous page, and because I meant a streamlined steam locomotive. I'm a terrible pixel artist, but if Pikkabird is willing to lend me their sprites from UKRS1 I'd gladly edit them for you.
Licenses for my work...
You automatically have my permission to re-license graphics or code by me if needed for use in any project that is not GPL v2, on the condition that if you release any derivatives of my graphics they're automatically considered as ALSO GPL v2 (code may remain unreleased, but please do provide it) and carry this provision in GPL v2 uses.
Please ask someone in-the-know to be sure that the graphics are done by me. Especially TTD-Scale, long story.
supermop
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by supermop »

SimYouLater wrote:
SimYouLater wrote:It would be nice if this set had a streamlined train. I used to pair it with UKRS1, but then I realized the graphics don't match as well as I first thought.
Because I'll probably be glossed over for being the last post on the previous page, and because I meant a streamlined steam locomotive. I'm a terrible pixel artist, but if Pikkabird is willing to lend me their sprites from UKRS1 I'd gladly edit them for you.
I don't think an A4 really fits what Andy is going for with Horse, but you never know. I guess one of the reasons the A4 always stands out so much in our imagination (other than TTO) is that the UK didn't really have that many streamlined locomotives, as compared with say the US. Something so sleek may not fit the gestalt of british trains as it exists in Andy's mind.
acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by acs121 »

supermop wrote:
SimYouLater wrote:
I don't think an A4 really fits what Andy is going for with Horse, but you never know. I guess one of the reasons the A4 always stands out so much in our imagination (other than TTO) is that the UK didn't really have that many streamlined locomotives, as compared with say the US. Something so sleek may not fit the gestalt of british trains as it exists in Andy's mind.
UK actually had a lot of streamliners, though they weren't much of a use as distances in the UK between cities, and in Europe generally, are very short.
That is, in France we almost never had streamliners, though distances between cities are much longer. Only the PLM, which by the past owned the Paris - Ventimiglia line had streamliners, and they went to 140 kph - which isn't much, compared to the A4's speed record.

Typical british steam locomotives other than the streamliners would be the Gresley A3, the Stanier Crab or the 8P.
PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

Post by PikkaBird »

SimYouLater wrote:if Pikkabird is willing to lend me their sprites from UKRS1 I'd gladly edit them for you.
Andy has access to the UKRS2 sprites, and anyone else is welcome to modify them too. But I think you'd be better off starting from scratch, and trying to match the style of the existing IH big locos.
acs121 wrote:UK actually had a lot of streamliners
Ten LMS Coronations; two LNER B17s, six P2s and 35 A4s; 30 SR Merchant Navies and 110 Light Pacifics. And a few oddities like the W1 and GWR 6014.

Notable takeaways: more than 2/3rds of British streamliners were Bulleid's "air-smoothed" Pacifics, and only a dozen weren't either Bulleid or Gresley designs. On the other hand, the Gresley A4s were the only class that weren't substantially rebuilt to remove their casings later in life. So a "representative" streamliner really has to be based on either the A4 or the Bulleid Pacifics.
acs121 wrote:Typical british steam locomotives other than the streamliners would be the Gresley A3, the Stanier Crab or the 8P.
There's the voice of someone who learned all he knows from Transport Tycoon. ;)
acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by acs121 »

PikkaBird wrote:
SimYouLater wrote:if Pikkabird is willing to lend me their sprites from UKRS1 I'd gladly edit them for you.
Andy has access to the UKRS2 sprites, and anyone else is welcome to modify them too. But I think you'd be better off starting from scratch, and trying to match the style of the existing IH big locos.
acs121 wrote:UK actually had a lot of streamliners
Ten LMS Coronations; two LNER B17s, six P2s and 35 A4s; 30 SR Merchant Navies and 110 Light Pacifics. And a few oddities like the W1 and GWR 6014.

Notable takeaways: more than 2/3rds of British streamliners were Bulleid's "air-smoothed" Pacifics, and only a dozen weren't either Bulleid or Gresley designs. On the other hand, the Gresley A4s were the only class that weren't substantially rebuilt to remove their casings later in life. So a "representative" streamliner really has to be based on either the A4 or the Bulleid Pacifics.
acs121 wrote:Typical british steam locomotives other than the streamliners would be the Gresley A3, the Stanier Crab or the 8P.
There's the voice of someone who learned all he knows from Transport Tycoon. ;)
Counting all streamliners you cited, it's 160 streamliners in total.
The PLM only had 6 streamliners. That's not very much for a country that is three times bigger than Great Britain.

For the british steamers, i don't know much, i could have cited the Tram Engine from UKRS2 though.
Dave

Post by Dave »

I’ve split a number of posts about licensing off from this thread.

1 because it ruins my enjoyment of Andy’s outstanding work and 2 because discussing with people other than the rights holder how they should like to be credited is inconsiderate.

As for “typical British steam locomotives” - where to start? Except to say I won’t be buying this set if there isn’t *long list of locomotives*...
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...
acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by acs121 »

Dave wrote:I’ve split a number of posts about licensing off from this thread.

1 because it ruins my enjoyment of Andy’s outstanding work and 2 because discussing with people other than the rights holder how they should like to be credited is inconsiderate.

As for “typical British steam locomotives” - where to start? Except to say I won’t be buying this set if there isn’t *long list of locomotives*...
"typical ... locomotive" means when i'm talking to you about a country's locomotives, which locomotives will you be talking about first ?

In the US you would say the F7, the AEM-7 or the P42DC, in the UK you would say the Gresley A3, the Gresley A4 and the Deltic, in France you would say the CC 7100, the BB 12000 or the BB 7200, and so on. For each of these locomotives, they have something unique, something that makes them stay in our mind. This, is typical locomotives though.

If andythenorth plans more electrics, a thing based on the Brush Avocet would be an excellent addition.
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by andythenorth »

Iron Horse is fake trains:
  • they are all inspired by RL trains, but sometimes more than one
  • sprites are drawn to be distinctive, and use shapes from multiple RL models, or are just invented
  • stats are entirely decided by gameplay, not RL
Dave I'll DM you something.
Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Alberth »

I do hope all those lovely pixels will stay together when it screams across my screen to the next stop!
Being a retired OpenTTD developer does not mean I know what I am doing.
SimYouLater
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by SimYouLater »

Would I be able to get NML source code for the Northcock and Lemon? Adjusting the Quicksilver's prices is annoying without it.

EDIT: Never mind, I managed to get it fairly balanced.
Licenses for my work...
You automatically have my permission to re-license graphics or code by me if needed for use in any project that is not GPL v2, on the condition that if you release any derivatives of my graphics they're automatically considered as ALSO GPL v2 (code may remain unreleased, but please do provide it) and carry this provision in GPL v2 uses.
Please ask someone in-the-know to be sure that the graphics are done by me. Especially TTD-Scale, long story.
acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by acs121 »

andythenorth wrote:v2, v1. Such sprites.
Need some help for names it seems ? I can do that, you know :wink:
acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by acs121 »

Very good. No EMUs/DMUs or railcars planned in 1950 - 2050
Erato
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Erato »

andythenorth wrote:Horse is Horse

Better 1950-2050 engine roster after more play-testing ;)
Looks very good. One thing to note though, there are too many Diesels.
No pics no clicks. Seriously.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by acs121 »

I've only noticed it now that there are 14 diesels and 8 electrics (counting shoeboxes as diesels AND as electrics). Quite contradictory as the UK always had a lot of electrics.
Gwyd
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Gwyd »

That may be true for multiple units, but in terms of locos, there have been far more diesels than electrics
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by andythenorth »

Erato wrote:There are too many Diesels.
'too many' against which yardstick :shock:
acs121 wrote:I've only noticed it now that there are 14 diesels and 8 electrics (counting shoeboxes as diesels AND as electrics). Quite contradictory as the UK always had a lot of electrics.
Can you create a list of the missing electrics?
Dave

Post by Dave »

I really don’t understand this. Britain very famously relied on diesels throughout the period Andy is recreating. I can only think of 5 distinct types of electric locomotive, so for Andy to have included 8 is generous imo.
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...

Return to “Graphics Development”