Stoney's Latin American Houses

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

StoneyTT
Engineer
Engineer

Stoney's Latin American Houses

Post by StoneyTT »

After getting quite a bit of help in writing NML I think it's time to show some results.

My plan is to create a set of latin american houses. After a first test I started to create some slum houses. I decided to go without foundations and therefore had to create graphics for all the different tile slopes. In the end, I created 27 different sprites (times 4 construction states!) for a single item, but that way I could manage to have quite a big variety of houses.

After that I wanted to go for something bigger (but with less total effort) and decided to replicate the "Palacio de Bellas Artes" in Mexico City: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Mexic ... _artes.jpg

I hope you like the results. Any comments, suggestions, etc. are welcome.
Attachments
slum_houses.png
slum_houses.png (89.5 KiB) Viewed 4603 times
spriteset_palacio_bellas_artes.png
spriteset_palacio_bellas_artes.png (6.4 KiB) Viewed 4603 times
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Re: Stoney's Latin American Houses

Post by planetmaker »

Oh, that's definitely something new which we haven't seen in this form so far and which will make for a distinct style of houses and look of towns. Looks very promising to me :-)
hargs
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by hargs »

Looking very good so far.
FLHerne
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FLHerne »

Those are definitely a novelty! I've never seen any of that style of building on the forums before.
Even without the sprites, I can't remember seeing a houseset that covered all the slopes... :bow:
Temporary Permanent signature filling text. Content coming soon delayed indefinitely! Oh, and I have had a screenshot thread.
Linux user (XMonad DWM/KDE, Arch), IRC obsessive and rail enthusiast. No longer building robots; now I ring church bells.
Author of an incredibly boring stickied post about NewGRFs.
TinyMusic
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by TinyMusic »

Slum housing is a very interesting idea, and when this is released I will definitely use it in my Java scenario. For a stark contrast, try making a glitzy super tall skyskraper next to a slum area, and that would suit any scenario based on developing countries. And the TownCars AI would also help by creating big traffic jams.
Formerly known as UseYourIllusion.
Java Scenario Found Here - Version 2 out
[tweɪ̂ pû tɕʰì wɔ̀ mǐlɤ lû tɕʰìŋ nì pɑ́ŋmɑ̌ŋ]
Emperor Jake
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Emperor Jake »

THis will work really well in the tropic scenarios, and will work really well with trains like the one in my avatar :)

Also, I remember having a similar styled building set in SimCity 2000 a while back.
Supercheese
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Supercheese »

Looks great, this looks like a set I'd use in the future. :)
Eyecandy Road Vehicles | Fake Subways | Supercheese's NewObjects

"Fashions and cultures change, but steam trains shall always be majestic."
-Professor Hershel Layton
TinyMusic
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by TinyMusic »

I think that in your screenshot the slums are a little bit too bright and happy, can you make them more dull and dirty?

Are you going to make modern office buildings as well?
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

Looks quite nice, but all those little houses, in different colors, kinda starts looking like toyland. I guess this is pretty much how it is in real life too, but it makes the screen look quite... well... don't know how to put it... I'm getting a tad lost in your screenshot.

Perhaps things get better when there's a few more larger buildings in there.
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
TinyMusic
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by TinyMusic »

And also remove those trees on the road, it is making it look like a tourist/beach attraction there! :lol:
YNM
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by YNM »

Hmm... kinda a bit too colorful to me... slum areas are always cold-looking, sad-looking or a bit filthy... It's more like having mini-residentials in your pictures. Not saying it's bad through, pretty well blended to the surroundings, which is oversaturated too (yeah, bright yellowish sands and bluish grass) !
YNM = yoursNotMine - Don't get it ?
「ヨーッスノットマイン」もと申します。
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

With respect to colours: I enjoy the colours in that crisp clear distinction. Life is colourful, also in the poor quarters, contrary to some cliché. It has the look of a dynamically grown suburb with little town planning having interferred - very nice!
UseYourIllusion wrote:And also remove those trees on the road, it is making it look like a tourist/beach attraction there! :lol:
They're not his. They belong to the road.
alluke
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by alluke »

I abosolutely love that colourfulness! :D Please keep it that way! :bow:
StoneyTT
Engineer
Engineer

Post by StoneyTT »

Thank you very much!

For the slum houses I was mostly inspired by the Favelas of Rio de Janeiro (http://www.google.com/search?q=favela+rio&tbm=isch), but also other places like Pachuca in Mexico with very colourful houses (http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File: ... achuca.jpg). Maybe not a classical slum area, but who cares?

I'm going to make all kinds of buildings, and the plan is to copy real world buildings as much as possible. So if you know some buildings (located in Latin America) you would like to see in the game, just show me some photos and I will see what I can do. :)
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

planetmaker wrote:Life is colourful
you've never been in an east german city before 1989 then :p
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

I like this set!

Yes, slum life is interesting. The buildings become run-down, old, grey, decrepit. The residents finally get fed up with it, and while too poor to tear down the buildings or change the facade, are able to afford paint, and typically try to use the brightest and most garish colors possible to help with it. You end up with an eclectic mix of architecture and style.
SwissFan91
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SwissFan91 »

This is looking great!

Perhaps you could make the doors/windows slightly lighter? They do stand out quite a lot from that screenshot. WRT the colours - perhaps tone down the lime green and orange?
Total Alpine Replacement Set: Industry, Town, Objects
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

Eddi wrote:
planetmaker wrote:Life is colourful
you've never been in an east german city before 1989 then :p
Actually I have been. Border checks took at least two hours every time, we had to exchange at least 25DM/person for only a day-trip while a full lunch in a restaurant cost us like 3 Mark/person. In the absense of other useful things, we always bought books for the remaining money.

More on-topic: indeed Rio de Janeiros favelas are more colourful than GDR towns and villages which I saw pre-1989. The GDR was not in Latin America ;-)
TinyMusic
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by TinyMusic »

This would be something like a "Total Tropic Replacement Set", right?
arikover
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by arikover »

This is a good idea, and a really promising work!

Return to “Graphics Development”