Zeppelins and Other New Aircraft

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

Look, it's very simple. A Zeppelin is a helicopter, flagged not to have any rotor blades. The game only gives us two choices: helicopter or plane. We don't want the Zeppelin to have to land on the runway and taxi like a plane, that would be silly. I imagine the Zeppelin will look bizarre on the big airport no matter what we do, but on the little airport or the heliport it won't look out of place. It would even be OK on an oil rig. Possibly, once it is possible to have different station graphics, we will rig it so the heliport shows up at the beginning of the game as a Zeppelin mooring mast, then later it changes into a normal heliport. It wouldn't stop you from skewering a helicopter on the mooring-mast graphic though, you'd just have to know not to do that.
Development Projects Site:
http://www.as-st.com/ttd
Japan, American Transition, Planeset, and Project Generic Stations available there
Louie Armstrong
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Louie Armstrong »

krtaylor wrote: It wouldn't stop you from skewering a helicopter on the mooring-mast graphic though, you'd just have to know not to do that.
unless thats ur sort of thing,

But as someone said the creators should wait till the new station graphics settings are complete then make a new set of graphics, i know this doesnt sort the other problems

Official TT-Jewel Staite FanClub
Official TT-Ellen Page FanClub
Official TT-Hayley Williams FanClub
Official TT-generic yet cute emo woman FanClub
jonty-comp wrote:I accidentally wedged my frigate between some rocks. D:
Saskia
Director
Director

Post by Saskia »

OK, krtaylor, you convinced me, an Zeppelin on an airport wouldn't look better :lol:
DanMacK
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DanMacK »

Was surfing the net and came upon an excellent site for Zeppelin/Airship Info The Zeppelin Library Archive :D Between the new US trains, potential new trucks and these, we'll be able to run a vintage transportation network :)

EDIT: Just found an excellent site linked off the previous site => here It contains techincal info on masts.

My latest fave map is one with the eastern coast of North America and the Atlantic Ocean as well as Europe. Now all we need is a passenger liner for 1920 :)
rogiercreemers
Engineer
Engineer

Post by rogiercreemers »

maybe someone could do the Titanic?
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

Yes but where are you going to find 2500 passengers in 1920?
Japan, American Transition, Planeset, and Project Generic Stations available there
Saskia
Director
Director

Post by Saskia »

You don't need to, just get as many as would survive the Titanic :wink:
rogiercreemers
Engineer
Engineer

Post by rogiercreemers »

Or you could take the capacity of the lifeboats as norm...
Endre
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Endre »

My great-grandfather was a surviver of the Titanic...

But he actually missed the ship, which is better luck...The train was late, and thus he didn't arrive to Southampton or wherever the Titanic started...
Indivisibiliter ac inseparabiliter
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

And ever since, the British railways have carried on that proud tradition... :twisted:
Born Acorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Born Acorn »

ah, ah ah

back then it was the era of the 'big five' and each company had a reputation to keep, so they made sure trains were more likely to be on time, unlike today, where less people use trains and so a late train or 300 won't matter to the different companies
blackfour
Engineer
Engineer

Post by blackfour »

I'm gonna be annoying and pedantic now...when Titanic sailed in 1912 it was 11 years before the 'Big Four' came into being...the company that ran trains from London to Southampton was the London and South Western Railway, one of over one hundred railway companies in Britain at the time...just thought you'd like to know that...

Blackfour
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

OK, back to the planes. How are the Zeppelins coming along? And furthermore, shall we make this topic a discussion of the whole new planeset? What I'd like to do is to have ONE and ONLY ONE comprehensive planeset, including Dinges' repaints, correct names for all original aircraft, Zeppelins, and whatever else new we want to do. Since all the aircraft used all over the world are pretty much the same, it makes sense to have just one set, although maybe someday there will be a second set covering the Soviet/Eastern Bloc aircraft (Antonovs, Tupolevs and things.)
mnorman
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by mnorman »

Born Acorn: this might suprise you but more people use the railways now than used it in the days of the big four, and there are less events which cause late trains. Unfortunately because some parts of the system have so many more trains on them than they used to, and trains no longer spend most of their time sitting around, instead of one problem causing one train to be late, these days there is a domino effect, as each train causes others to be late, and due to the retimetabling involved the trains have to wait to get space on the main line and get later and later, with nothing catching up again until there is a slack period, such as the middle of the night for most companies, or next Sunday for Virgin (which, apart from the fact the BR didn't invest properly in the WCML after around 1960, is the main reason Virgin built up such a bad reputation)
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

mnorman wrote:Born Acorn: this might suprise you but more people use the railways now than used it in the days of the big four
Well, there ARE more people around. As a percentage it's gone down I bet.
uzurpator
Transport Empire Moderator
Transport Empire Moderator

Post by uzurpator »

krtaylor wrote:
America =/= world mind you. Globally rail still carries FAR more passangers then cars and airplaines combined. And with an advent of HSR railroads are regularly putting local airlines out of business :)
All art and vehicle stats I authored for TT and derivatives are as of now PUBLIC DOMAIN! Use as you see fit
Just say NO to the TT fan-art sprite licensing madness. Public domain your art as well.
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

uzurpator wrote:
krtaylor wrote:
America =/= world mind you. Globally rail still carries FAR more passangers then cars and airplaines combined. And with an advent of HSR railroads are regularly putting local airlines out of business :)
I don't think you read my post carefully. It's obvious that the percentage of traffic that the railways have, has gone down since the days of the Titanic. In those days only the very very rich had cars; now most everyone does. There weren't any commercial planes at all.

I am not aware of HSR actually putting any airlines out of business, although it's true that the Acela has caused a great deal of harm to the Shuttle, which flies between Boston/New York/Washington. It used to be two competing hourly services, with 757s or Airbusses; now it is two semi-hourly services, with 737s or RJs.

But, can we get back to the Zeppelins? How are they doing?
CZAR ALEKSANDER
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Zeppelins

Post by CZAR ALEKSANDER »

hello

I think a zeppelin during the 1920's up to 1944 which it would be nice to see one in the game .I have inclosed a picture of one which I came across I think this is what a zeppelin looks like. it is a zeepelin and it is r100 from 1930 and it has a steel frame
Attachments
airhsip 1930 it has a steel frame
<br />the name is r100
airhsip 1930 it has a steel frame
the name is r100
Zeppelin_tn.jpg (6.87 KiB) Viewed 3093 times
Last edited by CZAR ALEKSANDER on 19 Mar 2004 22:55, edited 1 time in total.
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

Yes, that's what we want, if someone would draw it. There's been some work on them but it doesn't seem to have got very far yet. I haven't really pushed this project too hard, there are other projects I have to get finished first.
Born Acorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Born Acorn »

I think thats more of a blimp, since zepplins are more thinner and longer.

and thats transport giant blimp!

Return to “Graphics Development”