Dutch Terraced Houses

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

SwissFan91
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Dutch Terraced Houses

Post by SwissFan91 »

Very good. Well done!
Total Alpine Replacement Set: Industry, Town, Objects
V453000 :)
President
President

Post by V453000 :) »

I decided to be exceptionally constructive today so instead of words I help you with an image. I have vastly edited/shaded/recoloured the bottom fully complete building... notes to say:

1. as I mentioned above, more colour shades, more colour shades and more colour shades. Below the image I have picked out the colours you use, and from those I picked the shades that you were using.

2. the roof with a "X" pattern looks massively repetitive and very unnatural, try to always avoid those, plus added more colour shades :p

3. distant part of the roof - do not fear to use more light colours, and vice versa I would not use the darkest black there as it creates a bit too strong contrast ... the darkest black is a very strong colour in general so I would be careful with it

4. For windows I think the most preferable colour is the mauve. Purple is cute but it adds to it a bit too much cartoonish/too colourful look I think ... not the biggest issue, but again increased amount of colour shades

5. The window white colours and such created massive contrast on the front of the house, darkened considerably, + colour shades

6. not sure if the thing in front of the house is a fence, but I understood it as one and adapted it accordingly, note that lighter shades are the | sticks in the eventual fence, while the "fence gaps" either have free space (alpha blue), or dark brown. Both ways are an option, you could even use both in one house.

And hints how to actually reach that:

1. I always pick out colours which I intend to use - those "colour lines" below the image. That makes it easier for you to use more of them.

2. when starting a wall/area/something, just fill it with some darker colour and then put a brighter colour on the highlighted spots. Then try to make a "gradient" or what ever is needed to make them blend together.
This makes it easier to use increased amount of shades - I totally understand that when you use reduced amount from the start, it does not feel necessary because your eyes "get used" to the contrast which is there at that time.

3. Bright colours define the image and shapes in it!
Pay special attention to where which bright pixel is, for example look at the windows, the window on the most left has the brightest pixel in the middle, while the second from the right window has the brightest pixel in the bottom. Even that one pixel matters a lot as you can hopefully see.

Hope it helps
V453000
Attachments
rij30_edit.png
rij30_edit.png (6.94 KiB) Viewed 5664 times
ImageImageImage
Transportman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Transportman »

Looks very good, but I think it can still do with some more variation on the ends.
V453000 :) wrote:I decided to be exceptionally constructive today
You even posted it twice :p
Coder of the Dutch Trackset | Development support for the Dutch Trainset | Coder of the 2cc TrainsInNML
V453000 :)
President
President

Post by V453000 :) »

excellent :D I cant even remove it now :D zz

also, there for sure would help more design changes, but I was rather focused on the drawing technique part :P
ImageImageImage
michael blunck
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by michael blunck »

Many years ago, I posted some graphical examples in a similar thread. Might be still valuable here today.

regards
Michael
YSH
Engineer
Engineer

Post by YSH »

V453000 :) wrote:Hope it helps
Thanks, it certainly does.
V45300 :) wrote:also, there for sure would help more design changes
Such as?
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

is that just me or does the roof look off-center? the front of the roof looks steeper than the back, and the peak of the roof looks moved to the front.
XeryusTC
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by XeryusTC »

Eddi wrote:is that just me or does the roof look off-center? the front of the roof looks steeper than the back, and the peak of the roof looks moved to the front.
Actually, I think it should be even more off-centre. All the "rijtjeshuizen" that I know have one side of the roof at a steep angle while the other side is at a shallow angle, pretty much like in the attached image. A bit of a google search shows hundreds of different variations though.
Attachments
rijtjeshuis.png
rijtjeshuis.png (368.42 KiB) Viewed 5528 times
Don't panic - My YouTube channel - Follow me on twitter (@XeryusTC) - Play Tribes: Ascend - Tired of Dropbox? Try SpiderOak (use this link and we both get 1GB extra space)
OpenTTD: manual #openttdcoop: blog | wiki | public server | NewGRF pack | DevZone
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
YSH
Engineer
Engineer

Post by YSH »

The Vinex-type houses often have odly shaped roofs, but this is meant to be an older house, with equal roofs front and back, something like this. The division of the roof is precisely in the middle, but it might be the shading causing it to look off.
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

XeryusTC wrote:
Eddi wrote:is that just me or does the roof look off-center? the front of the roof looks steeper than the back, and the peak of the roof looks moved to the front.
Actually, I think it should be even more off-centre. All the "rijtjeshuizen" that I know have one side of the roof at a steep angle while the other side is at a shallow angle, pretty much like in the attached image. A bit of a google search shows hundreds of different variations though.
I think the traditional houses have the roof in the center, but over the years architects tried to be creative and made all kind of variants. I think center-roofs are much more common than off-center roofs, but obviously a lot of variations are possible.
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
YSH
Engineer
Engineer

Post by YSH »

I've been working on this a bit more lately, and it is at a point where I think an updated grf is in order. The 1930s style terraced houses are finished in all 4 directions, automatically being placed to face the road. It also includes these houses around a park, and two small workers' houses from the late 19th century.
v01.png
v01.png (130.6 KiB) Viewed 5170 times
Attachments
nlhs.grf
v0.1
(61.78 KiB) Downloaded 181 times
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

YSH wrote:automatically being placed to face the road.
i hope they don't change direction when you add/remove roads or build a depot, like some other GRFs did.
YSH
Engineer
Engineer

Post by YSH »

No, the location of the road is only checked at construction, they remain fixed after that.
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

Perhaps choose a less bright colour red for the roof tiles, it hurts the eyes and in reality roof tiles hardly ever stay so bright (not even the glazed one, they breach :) ). It also contrasts with your very well textured masonry.
SwissFan91
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SwissFan91 »

It might be worth toning down the brightness on the fence of the 1930s style terraced house for the same reason that Hyro suggested - fences rarely stay that bright and shiny.

Also - are the workers houses really that small compared to the others?

Good work though :D
Total Alpine Replacement Set: Industry, Town, Objects
YSH
Engineer
Engineer

Post by YSH »

Hyronymus wrote:Perhaps choose a less bright colour red for the roof tiles
Indeed, they should be a bit darker. Updated grf at the bottom
Zuid Dokmond Transport, 16 Apr 1930.png
Zuid Dokmond Transport, 16 Apr 1930.png (34.17 KiB) Viewed 4987 times
SwissFan91 wrote:Also - are the workers houses really that small compared to the others?
Yes, they have one floor less. They are (loosely) based on a block of buildings from the Diamantbuurt in Amsterdam.
Attachments
nlhs.grf
v0.1.01 - Darker red roofs
(61.96 KiB) Downloaded 335 times
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by andythenorth »

Lighting direction is wrong.

Lighting is also wrong in TTRS, most of opengfx and numerous other sets, so it's an easy mistake to make (FIRS was also wrong for a long time, and most of FISH and HEQS still is wrong) :D

Wrong #1 is because Sun in original TTD is at about 4pm - 5.30pm, and high up.
Wrong #2 is because the houses will simply look better with the front face of the roof shaded light, and the rear face of the roof shaded dark.

Whether you bother to change it is up to you, I just don't want you to find out later and have to redraw a lot of sprites (I redrew a *lot*). :)
Densha
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Densha »

For some reason when I add the GRF to the GRF list (either for a new game or an existing game), it just doesn't show up in towns; I tried several times but I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. Other building GRF's work fine.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Try moving it above the other building NewGRFs. Also, if you're using a building NewGRF that reduces population (UK Town Set, Early Building) then that may interfere with this NewGRF producing buildings.
Densha
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Densha »

I tried as you said, but even when this GRF is the only one loaded it still doesn't work. I haven't experienced this with any other GRF so I find it a bit strange.

Return to “Graphics Development”