Dutch Terraced Houses

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

kamnet

Re: Dutch Terraced Houses

Post by kamnet »

There's always somebody who complains about a set not being "realistic" enough because the colors are "too bright" or "too dark" or "too cartoon-like" or "not like OpenGFX" which of course, was complained about because it was "not like TTD".

:roll:

This set may not be an exact blend with OpenGFX or TTRS, but there are several building sets which it would join just fine. As it is right now, I'm ready to add it to my next game.
Dave

Post by Dave »

kamnet wrote:There's always somebody who complains about a set not being "realistic" enough because the colors are "too bright" or "too dark" or "too cartoon-like" or "not like OpenGFX" which of course, was complained about because it was "not like TTD".

:roll:

This set may not be an exact blend with OpenGFX or TTRS, but there are several building sets which it would join just fine. As it is right now, I'm ready to add it to my next game.
Do me a favour pal and back off with your eye-rolling boll*cks.
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

My bollocks have eyes?? :?:

*looks in pants*
:shock:

HOW did you KNOW??? HOW did THIS happen??

*ponders*
*turns to wife*
HEEELOOOOOOO LADIES! :mrgreen:
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

kamnet wrote:There's always somebody who complains about a set not being "realistic" enough because the colors are "too bright" or "too dark" or "too cartoon-like" or "not like OpenGFX" which of course, was complained about because it was "not like TTD".
So far I've only seen suggestions, no complains. Until I read your post. You're complaining. Lately I've been getting the impression you're trying to troll in *every* topic.
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
michael blunck
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by michael blunck »

kamnet wrote: There's always somebody who complains about a set not being "realistic" enough because the colors are "too bright" or "too dark" or "too cartoon-like" or "not like OpenGFX" which of course, was complained about because it was "not like TTD".
Discussions about "style" should only start after a certain level of quality has been achieved.

regards
Michael
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Purno wrote:
So far I've only seen suggestions, no complains. Until I read your post. You're complaining. Lately I've been getting the impression you're trying to troll in *every* topic.
Well, after YSH acknowledged in his second post that he's just starting out and he know that texture and shading wasn't to his liking, but yet there have been a half-dozen "suggestions" that his work is not yet realistic enough. So, apparently ME making a suggestion that people back off JUST a tad makes ME the troll? Sure.
michael blunck wrote:Discussions about "style" should only start after a certain level of quality has been achieved.
There's a "certain level of quality", now? When was this implemented? Is that by committee? Who is on this committee? Is there any written guidelines as to what this "certain level of quality" is?

Please, pardon this :roll: I just can't help myself now.

YSH: You're doing a great job developing this set.
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

Don't you all think it's becoming silly and immature again? Continue on topic, do the {sounds like bridging} somewhere else.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Dave W wrote:You know fair play to you for coming out and releasing something without demanding someone else do it.

I would, however, take on board opinions re: shading and mixing shades to increase realism, but I think you've got the general design down.

Well done.
Let me repeat the above without some idiot coming along and trying to derail the topic over nothing, as per. I suppose at this point kamnet is PMing YSH about not posting here because of the nasty people with their opinions and instead going elsewhere. What a tosser!

YSH: You're doing a really good job, and please take note of the last line of the post which is "Well done."

Please let me clarify - in my opinion (just for the idiot above), adding some randomisation of colours and shades will not only make it look more realistic, but also look better at the scale.

Good luck with your work - I'm looking forward to seeing more.

Flickr

YSH
Engineer
Engineer

Post by YSH »

Dave W wrote:
Dave W wrote: I suppose at this point kamnet is PMing YSH
Not yet at least.

It's exactly the reason I post these files on the forum is to get feedback, and may I ensure you that none of the comments in this topic are taken by me to be anything other than helpful suggestions. Both the shading (of the roof) and the variation are indeed issues I've been working on.

Ideally the roof should be a more of a dark orange, which I haven't succeeded in recreating in the TTD palette. It's also possible to go with a dark roof, but that wouldn't be my first choice for this building.
darkroof.png
darkroof.png (1.76 KiB) Viewed 3073 times
The variation has already been solved graphically, but I can't get the code to agree with me on that one.
MarkSheppard
Engineer
Engineer

Post by MarkSheppard »

YSH, they look pretty good.

Really, the only thing they need is some "noise" to make them look less "shiny", and adding pixel noise with a limited palette is very hard.

So yeah, keep at it!
Dave

Post by Dave »

I prefer the dark one personally, but it wouldn't harm to have both in the game!

Maybe you could get the code to talk so that only the red roofs and dark roofs in any one occurrence!

Flickr

Transportman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Transportman »

It looks very good, only a small suggestion, is a small window or something on the side wall possible? Because it is now a completely blank wall. Although it might look a bit funny when there is another house (being) build next to it, then there is a window looking to another building.
Coder of the Dutch Trackset | Development support for the Dutch Trainset | Coder of the 2cc TrainsInNML
SwissFan91
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SwissFan91 »

YSH wrote:...dark orange...
The TTD palette is limited when it comes to orange unfortunately - especially of the darker variety.

I think your latest revision has is a vast improvement. The one thing that still bothers me slightly is the shape of the back-facing roof in that it seems to have a bend in it. It's probably just the white line is emphasising it though, so perhaps it is fine.
Total Alpine Replacement Set: Industry, Town, Objects
Dave

Post by Dave »

It surely won't matter though, because if there's a building in front of it, you just won't see it? Good idea that.

Flickr

Supercheese
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Supercheese »

You can always make 32bpp versions of your sprites, even at normal zoom level, then you can use any colors you want. Fight the palette! :P
Eyecandy Road Vehicles | Fake Subways | Supercheese's NewObjects

"Fashions and cultures change, but steam trains shall always be majestic."
-Professor Hershel Layton
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

Dave W wrote:I prefer the dark one personally, but it wouldn't harm to have both in the game!

Traditionally our terraced houses have a dark orange / terracotta color, which seems to be the natural color of the material. Nowadays it seems architects are using dark grey, dark green or dark blue variants just because it looks better. The traditional color is still the most common one IRL though.
SwissFan91 wrote:
YSH wrote:...dark orange...
The TTD palette is limited when it comes to orange unfortunately - especially of the darker variety.
How about the pale-red? How does that look like? Perhaps randomize it with some brown/orange pixels? Perhaps zoom into other people's graphics to see how they did it. I'm pretty sure YSH isn't the first one to struggle with this color.
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
Quast65
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Quast65 »

Perhaps zoom into other people's graphics to see how they did it. I'm pretty sure YSH isn't the first one to struggle with this color.
Take a little look at the houses from the OpenGFX-set, especially the houses for the tropic climate. They have some patterns/color combinations that might be usefull (maybe with some color alterations).

And a question, what is the time slot in which they appear? I didn't seem to get them in fairly modern games (2013), they did appear though in earlier games (1950). Is it possible to get them in more modern games?
Projects: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=57266
Screenshots: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=56959
Scenario of The Netherlands: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=87604

Winner of the following screenshot competitions:
sep 2012, jan 2013, apr 2013, aug 2013, mar 2014, mar 2016, oct 2020
All my work is released under GPL-license (either V2 or V3), if not clearly stated otherwise.
YSH
Engineer
Engineer

Post by YSH »

Purno wrote:Traditionally our terraced houses have a dark orange / terracotta color, which seems to be the natural color of the material. Nowadays it seems architects are using dark grey, dark green or dark blue variants just because it looks better. The traditional color is still the most common one IRL though.
The dark grey (anthracite) ones are also quite old, according to the Dutch Roof Tiles Museum, which apparently exists. I will certainly try to also get terracotta to work, but grey is always an option. Will certainly keep looking into terracotta, which is the most common indeed for the era.
Quast65 wrote:And a question, what is the time slot in which they appear? I didn't seem to get them in fairly modern games (2013), they did appear though in earlier games (1950). Is it possible to get them in more modern games?
They're set to 1930-1950, but will look into a parameter setting. Ideally, some historic building would be added to games starting late, but I'm not sure that's feasible.
YSH
Engineer
Engineer

Post by YSH »

I've made another update to the grf. The graphics of the house are now randomised, with four possible graphics available. I've also been working on the graphics, adding some noise to make them look less plastic:
screenshot.png
screenshot.png (68.84 KiB) Viewed 2824 times
rij30.png
rij30.png (5.53 KiB) Viewed 2824 times
rbos86
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by rbos86 »

Haha, It's looking great by now!
rbos86' Screenshots thread is here
rbos86' Unrealistic Dutch games -thread, on the other hand,is this button

Return to “Graphics Development”