Martian Industries

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

V453000 :)
President
President

Re: Martian Industries

Post by V453000 :) »

AMX wrote:
V453000 :) wrote: perhaps if you put the newGRF on bananas...)
Sorry for butting in like this, but, at the risk of looking dense - how would that help, considering this newGRF requires Toyland to Mars, which is not on bananas?
Because T2M is already a part of openttdcoop grf pack which works well as a simple unified place where to download newGRFs as a whole bunch of newGRFs we can use on our servers, while Martian industries are atm a "stranger" newgrf without easy access.

A hint from my experience: NUTS Unrealistic Train Set was FULL of issues at version 0.0.1 when I first released it. Only thanks to that, I was able to uncover them a looot quicker than how I would be able to without it. Having it on bananas, you can always just overwrite it with a newer version and people can do testing, nothing lost :P
ImageImageImage
President
President

As for another thing - I already mentioned before that I am willing to support the industries with NUTS to make the cargoes match well. To do that properly however, I will need to know what cargoes are what.

Therefore, I would like to ask you to describe some of the cargoes a bit more closely so I can get a better idea what to do with them.

GOOD, WOOD, LUMB are pretty clear, those are like from other climates.

DIAT looks clearly fitting to toyland sugar due to its colour in the mine (4th from the right)

HYCH is where I am not sure what to put there. I see it is a liquid, what colour? :)

CHEM should probably be the purple wagon/green cargo option because that is how they look everywhere else, too.

I assume ALOY fits under Steel/Metal?

DEUT seems to be like a power coupling, so I would put batteries there? (2nd from the left)

Question is what should PLST be. Bioplastic from refined wood? Perhaps 2nd from the right?
ImageImageImage
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

Deuterium is "enriched hydrogen" (1 proton+1 neutron), so either you have it pure in a gas tank or you have it bound in "heavy water", making it liquid. (chemically, it's indistinguishable from normal hydrogen/water, but its physical properties are different. historical applications mainly involve fission reactors using natural uranium)
oftcrash
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by oftcrash »

Thanks, Eddi, a much better description than I would have come up with for deuterium. :)

Colonists (PASS) - just renamed passengers. In addition to intercity transport, they can also be sourced from colony landers where they were cryogenically frozen.

Xeno-Diatomite (DIAT) - aka, Diatomaceous Soil. The sugar graphic is perfect for this. Basically, the alien version of that stuff I put in my pool filter. Its formed from algae and other micro sea creatures. In my sci-fi version, its the same idea, but there's some sort of alien property in it that makes it great for making a ceramic that acts like a lightweight metal. Realistic? No, but neither is red water or Martian trees :)

Colony Supplies (SUPP) - Basically goods. Nothing fancy. Can represent small items (in crates), food, large manufactured stuff.

Ceramic Alloy (ALOY) - Sort of a metallic ceramic. Super light weight, good heat properties, etc. Great for manufacturing. I figured the steel graphics would work best.

Chemicals (CHEM) - I had a few versions of what would come from the refinery - hydrogen, oxygen, water... eventually I just simplified to deuterium and a generic "chemicals."

Xeno-wood (WOOD) - "Martian" trees :)

Xeno-flora Lumber (LUMB) - I don't actually like this one, but I wasn't sure what to do with it. I almost changed it to wood pulp or something similar since it gets received by a bio-plastic extractor to generate items for the factory.

Bio-Plastic (PLST) - plastic from plant materials. Given the "bio" prefix to make it sound fancy.

Hydro-chemical Slurry (HYCH) - Basically just a sloshy mix of hydrocarbons, water, and whatever else is in the ground that gets pulled out in mostly (thick) liquid form. No idea what it would look like, but I bet the smell would be impressive :)

Mail (MAIL) - yup.

I'm certainly open to suggestions! :)
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

One minor issue I've noticed is that in the pop-up news window, anytime a new industry of any type is built, the headline reads "Hydro-Chemical Slurry Tanker".
Attachments
hydro-chemical-slurry-tanker-error.png
hydro-chemical-slurry-tanker-error.png (23.09 KiB) Viewed 3561 times
President
President

NUTS Unrealistic Train Set now fully supports Martian Industries ... since version 0.4.7, can be found on bananas
ImageImageImage
oftcrash
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by oftcrash »

Thanks, Kamnet, I'll take look at the news.

VF, that's awesome! I can't wait to try it out!

I found the issue with chemicals not being produced. I'm halfway through a change in the way I build the industry NML, so I can't publish the fix quite yet, but I'll have it ready in a day or two. I'll also get the whole thing up on bananas.

The industry dependency is something I still need to figure out though. I'll be spending some time looking through the FIRS code to see how they do it.

Overall, I need to formalize some test cases for myself. I have a few that I do right now:
  • put a station next to every industry type and town to check the produced and accepted.
  • s of the chemical bug, I'm also putting a vehicle there with "full load" orders.
  • I'm also visually checking the industry layouts and making sure every variation shows up.
What sort of standard tests do others run on their newgrfs.
oftcrash
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by oftcrash »

I'm missing something in my understanding of the product block. I'm trying to put in the call back to trigger production to start only when cargo arrives. I've looked at the FIRS code to try to work from that, but FIRS does so many other (cool) things in their logic that I'm having trouble just doing the basic response.

here's what I have:
4 units of any of three accepted cargos are consumed to create 3 units of the produced cargo. I'm not sure exactly what the closing bit does, but I thought it would run it again, thereby consuming more cargo if its available.

Code: Select all

produce(am_cargo_arrive_produce, 4, 4, 4, 3, 0, 1);

item(FEAT_INDUSTRIES, industry_am, 31) {
	graphics {
		produce_cargo_arrival: am_cargo_arrive_produce;
	}
	property {
		substitute: 31;
		override: 31;
		prod_cargo_types: [SUPP];
		accept_cargo_types: [ALOY,CHEM,PLST];
		prod_multiplier: [15];
		name: string(STR_IND_NAME_AM);
		nearby_station_name: string(STR_STATION, string(STR_TOWN), string(STR_IND_NAME_AM));
		life_type: IND_LIFE_TYPE_PROCESSING;
		closure_msg: TTD_STR_NEWS_INDUSTRY_CLOSURE_SUPPLY_PROBLEMS;
		prod_increase_msg: TTD_STR_NEWS_INDUSTRY_PRODUCTION_INCREASE_GENERAL;
		prod_decrease_msg: TTD_STR_NEWS_INDUSTRY_PRODUCTION_DECREASE_GENERAL;
		new_ind_msg: TTD_STR_NEWS_INDUSTRY_CONSTRUCTION;
		min_cargo_distr: 5;
		conflicting_ind_types: [];
		input_multiplier_1: [0, 0];
		input_multiplier_2: [0, 0];
		input_multiplier_3: [0, 0];
		prob_random: 5;
		prob_in_game: 3;
		prospect_chance: 0.75;
		fund_cost_multiplier: 100;
		remove_cost_multiplier: 0;
	}
}

item(FEAT_INDUSTRYTILES, industry_am_tile_142, 142) {
	property {
		substitute:					142;
		override:					142;
		accepted_cargos:			[[ALOY,8],[CHEM,8],[PLST,8]];
	}
}
item(FEAT_INDUSTRYTILES, industry_am_tile_143, 143) {
	property {
		substitute:					143;
		override:					143;
	}
}
item(FEAT_INDUSTRYTILES, industry_am_tile_144, 144) {
	property {
		substitute:					144;
		override:					144;
	}
}
item(FEAT_INDUSTRYTILES, industry_am_tile_145, 145) {
	property {
		substitute:					145;
		override:					145;
	}
}
item(FEAT_INDUSTRYTILES, industry_am_tile_146, 146) {
	property {
		substitute:					146;
		override:					146;
	}
}
item(FEAT_INDUSTRYTILES, industry_am_tile_147, 147) {
	property {
		substitute:					147;
		override:					147;
	}
}
President
President

I never coded industries, but perhaps something like produce_cargo_arrival callback? http://newgrf-specs.tt-wiki.net/wiki/NML:Industries
ImageImageImage
oftcrash
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by oftcrash »

V453000 :) wrote:I never coded industries, but perhaps something like produce_cargo_arrival callback? http://newgrf-specs.tt-wiki.net/wiki/NML:Industries
Yup, that seems to be the right one. This is my first try at using a callback.

produce(am_cargo_arrive_produce, 4, 4, 4, 3, 0, 1);
And then inside my industry item block:

graphics {
      produce_cargo_arrival: am_cargo_arrive_produce;
   }
There's some other aspect of it I'm not seeing yet. I'm still experimenting as well as trying to make heads or tails of the FIRS code.

In the mean time, I'm working on adjusting the industry locations, spawn frequency, distances, etc.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Eyecandy request: can the pumps of the Hydro-Carbon Wells be animated?
oftcrash
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by oftcrash »

I think they were before I messed with them. I'll see what I can do. Its slow going - I'm slow to pick up the syntax and I keep getting distracted with the build scripts - if only Python wasn't so fun! :)
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

It looks like the bank got overlooked a little bit:
Attachments
piggybank.png
piggybank.png (22.91 KiB) Viewed 3213 times
oftcrash
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by oftcrash »

I updated the top of this thread with a new alpha build. I didn't version the numbers, so overwrite your existing copy at your own risk if you have a game in progress. Fixed issues are listed at the top.

At this point I really need help understanding the produce block and how to trigger the cargos. I'm close, but I'm missing some component.
oftcrash
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by oftcrash »

kamnet wrote:It looks like the bank got overlooked a little bit:
I was looking for that too. It wasn't included in the T2M conversion. That said, I have an idea for a fun cargo to put there, but I want to focus on getting the existing industries fully working first.
oftcrash
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by oftcrash »

Insomnia is annoying, but at least I made good use of time :)

Linked at the top thread is a bonus newgrf - Martian Town Names based on Martian Geography! Nothing fancy - just a list of named features and regions of the Red Planet taken from Wikipedia.
oftcrash
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by oftcrash »

I updated the latest code to github and provided the link at the top of this thread. Please note that if you grabbed the code before, the location as changed. Sorry about that - due to carelessness on my end, I uploaded it under the wrong account. I decided to just start a new repo rather than transfer it. The other one will be deleted in the next day or two.
https://github.com/oftcrash/martian-industries
oftcrash
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by oftcrash »

Finally a breakthrough - I have industry production dependent on cargo received now. Going to spend some time messing with the numbers and applying it all the relevent industries, but I hope to have a new playable version up on Bananas in the next couple days.
oftcrash
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by oftcrash »

Just wanted to stop in quick to say I haven't forgotten about this. Life got real busy and I haven't even fired up a game of TT in the last 6 weeks. Hopefully when things settle down in another month or so I'll be able to jump back in and finish up at least a beta release of Martian Industries.
CheesePlant
Engineer
Engineer

Post by CheesePlant »

Hi oftcrash, are you going to continue working on this, for some reason the train carriages have reverted back to toyland :(
The cruelest dream is reality.

Return to “Graphics Development”