Electricity, Power Lines, and Industries

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Nyrill
Engineer
Engineer

Re: Electricity, Power Lines, and Industries

Post by Nyrill »

Maybe a strange idea by me but couldt "electricity" not be a requirement for running electric trains without electricity you cant move the trains.
Then the possibility of various voltages could be used to power various tracks could be fun expirimenting around with.
And with the growing numbers of trains you would need more power to run and also supply city's with.
Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Alberth »

Nyrill wrote:Maybe a strange idea by me but couldt "electricity" not be a requirement for running electric trains without electricity you cant move the trains.
Then the possibility of various voltages could be used to power various tracks could be fun expirimenting around with.
And with the growing numbers of trains you would need more power to run and also supply city's with.
And then your train breaks down, electricity fails due to lack of coal, and no way to push the train to the powerplant to bring it up again?

I think this has been suggested before. You will need more than a newgrf however; newgrf trains cannot inspect industry production.
Being a retired OpenTTD developer does not mean I know what I am doing.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

I see that WIRES has finally made it's appearance on BaNaNaS. Good deal!
Timeflyer
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Timeflyer »

Little food for further thoughts....combining OpenGFX+Landscapes WINDMILLS with WIRES...
Windmills do also produce ELECTRICITY... ;)
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

Timeflyer wrote:Little food for further thoughts....combining OpenGFX+Landscapes WINDMILLS with WIRES...
Windmills do also produce ELECTRICITY... ;)
I dunno if landscape objects can produce or accept cargo, but if the windmills where made into a industry then you could use them as a constant but low output power source. Though if a player has the money and multiple industries per town enabled, then they could probably set up a wind farm and go from there :)
Image Proud Canadian Image
Nekomasters Projects! (Downloads available on BaNaNaS!) \(>^w^<)/
# NARS ADD-ON SET 2CC | 2cc Rapid Transit For Me! (2ccRTFM) | 2cc Wagons In NML (2ccWIN)
# NML Category System (Organize your GRFS!) <- TT-Forums Exclusive Download!
Supercheese
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Supercheese »

Since there seems to yet be some bit of interest, I'll upload the source files I used to make the WIRES grf. I'm no longer very interested in continuing development, but this download should contain everything needed for anyone to build the grf except for the NML compiler itself.
Attachments
WIRES Sources.zip
(48.59 KiB) Downloaded 231 times
Eyecandy Road Vehicles | Fake Subways | Supercheese's NewObjects

"Fashions and cultures change, but steam trains shall always be majestic."
-Professor Hershel Layton
EG0611
Engineer
Engineer

Post by EG0611 »

It is too bad that this project has been terminated. There are no other NewGrf that allows player to transport power from power plant to cities. Yes mod currently work with new versions of OpenTTD but it needs improvements.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

omer584 wrote: 01 Jul 2019 16:29 It is too bad that this project has been terminated. There are no other NewGrf that allows player to transport power from power plant to cities. Yes mod currently work with new versions of OpenTTD but it needs improvements.
It's not terminated. It is just no longer being maintained by its original developer. The source code is posted if you would like to develop it further.
SimYouLater
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by SimYouLater »

kamnet wrote: 01 Jul 2019 17:07
omer584 wrote: 01 Jul 2019 16:29 It is too bad that this project has been terminated. There are no other NewGrf that allows player to transport power from power plant to cities. Yes mod currently work with new versions of OpenTTD but it needs improvements.
It's not terminated. It is just no longer being maintained by its original developer. The source code is posted if you would like to develop it further.
WIRES has been included in the Recycled Infrastructure Set, in case you want to use it with the utility poles from Wired.
Licenses for my work...
You automatically have my permission to re-license graphics or code by me if needed for use in any project that is not GPL v2, on the condition that if you release any derivatives of my graphics they're automatically considered as ALSO GPL v2 (code may remain unreleased, but please do provide it) and carry this provision in GPL v2 uses.
Please ask someone in-the-know to be sure that the graphics are done by me. Especially TTD-Scale, long story.
EG0611
Engineer
Engineer

Post by EG0611 »

Thank you, I will check that later on.

Return to “Graphics Development”