Fake Subways 0.3

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Supercheese
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Fake Subways 0.2

Post by Supercheese »

Hmm, above-ground vehicles would be easy enough to do; should their underground/above ground state be controlled via another refit? Should they be separate vehicles? Or something else?
Eyecandy Road Vehicles | Fake Subways | Supercheese's NewObjects

"Fashions and cultures change, but steam trains shall always be majestic."
-Professor Hershel Layton
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

Well I was thinking that the under ground stuff could remain a road vehicle, but make the Above ground/LRT stuff on tram/streetcar lines
Image Proud Canadian Image
Nekomasters Projects! (Downloads available on BaNaNaS!) \(>^w^<)/
# NARS ADD-ON SET 2CC | 2cc Rapid Transit For Me! (2ccRTFM) | 2cc Wagons In NML (2ccWIN)
# NML Category System (Organize your GRFS!) <- TT-Forums Exclusive Download!
Supercheese
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Supercheese »

NekoMaster wrote:Well I was thinking that the under ground stuff could remain a road vehicle, but make the Above ground/LRT stuff on tram/streetcar lines
Yes, that indeed seems best. I was thinking that instead of having a parameter to determine between RVs/Trams, instead make two separate vehicles, one RV one tram, and have the trams "refit" to an above ground or underground state. That way you could, in theory, have a depot defined as a location where the trains "dive down" underground via a refit order, or back up to the surface again (of course they'd still have to run "underneath" tram tracks while "underground".)

NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

Though if true LRT's where added as well, they probably wouldn't be able to run underground, though some do run underground in some parts
# NARS ADD-ON SET 2CC | 2cc Rapid Transit For Me! (2ccRTFM) | 2cc Wagons In NML (2ccWIN)
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

Supercheese wrote:"refit" to an above ground or underground state.
that is not possible with the current game mechanics, a vehicle can either drive on road, or on tram, but not switch inbetween.
YNM
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by YNM »

Eddi wrote:
Supercheese wrote:"refit" to an above ground or underground state.
that is not possible with the current game mechanics, a vehicle can either drive on road, or on tram, but not switch inbetween.
I believe what he means is just the graphics change - the "above ground state" or the vehicle visible, will be refitted in a depot (via orders) to an "underground state" or the vehicle visible as shadows, so the only loss here is the tram tracks still visible, which is bad :(
YNM = yoursNotMine - Don't get it ?
「ヨーッスノットマイン」もと申します。
Supercheese
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Supercheese »

Yoursnotmine wrote:I believe what he means is just the graphics change - the "above ground state" or the vehicle visible, will be refitted in a depot (via orders) to an "underground state" or the vehicle visible as shadows, so the only loss here is the tram tracks still visible, which is bad :(
Yes, that is what I have in mind.

Supercheese
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Fake Subways 0.3

Post by Supercheese »

Version 0.3 out:

Code: Select all

- Added futuristic Shinkū-eki Double-decker Subway, with graphics inspired by the Vactrain grf.
- Miscellaneous fixes.
No refit to above-ground state yet. Perhaps later :wink:.

Sources attached to this post.
Attachments
Fake Subways Source 0.3.zip
(64.34 KiB) Downloaded 290 times

NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

something i didnt think about before, since tram tracks are side by side on a single tile, having above ground Subways/LRT's would be nice for Elevated Railways (Chicago or New york anyone?)
Gord
Chairman
Chairman

Post by Gord »

Been watching this topic, think the way it's been implemented is really inventive. Shows what can be done with limited resources but unlimited minds!

With regards to using tram lines for light rail, I agree that it would be a good idea for them to be used to simulate metro systems. The stations would cause a slight problem...you would have to get over the fact that they would look like tram stops. When the Tyne and Wear metro graphics were released a few years back, there was a discussion then about whether they should be available as a rail or a tram vehicle. I suppose it depends on the type of system, the metro shares a few rails with heavy rail so that made more sense to make it a rail vehicle. Just thinking aloud though...

Anyway, getting back on topic, loving some of the initiative that graphics makers are putting into the game right now.
DC-1
Engineer
Engineer

Post by DC-1 »

Fake subway travelling on fake underground layer. ;-]
Can someone design a metro station both under/overground?

http://flerp.hu/.openttd/ottd-fakerealsubway2.png
Last edited by planetmaker on 18 Sep 2013 09:29, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: un-inlined too big screenshot. Please attach images to this forum directly instead of using 3rd-party image hosting
TinyMusic
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by TinyMusic »

Well, you can always use platforms from many station sets. I think the Dutch addition Station set has an elevator for subway things.
Formerly known as UseYourIllusion.
Java Scenario Found Here - Version 2 out
[tweɪ̂ pû tɕʰì wɔ̀ mǐlɤ lû tɕʰìŋ nì pɑ́ŋmɑ̌ŋ]
Quast65
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Quast65 »

UseYourIllusion wrote:Well, you can always use platforms from many station sets. I think the Dutch addition Station set has an elevator for subway things.
It has two different Metro station entrances (also in non-track version), that can be placed next to the roadstops.
Also just stairs going down.
Projects: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=57266
Screenshots: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=56959
Scenario of The Netherlands: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=87604

Winner of the following screenshot competitions:
sep 2012, jan 2013, apr 2013, aug 2013, mar 2014, mar 2016, oct 2020
All my work is released under GPL-license (either V2 or V3), if not clearly stated otherwise.
Supercheese
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Supercheese »

After successful trials of the new webtranslator and other devzone-related stuff, nightly builds are now available from: http://bundles.openttdcoop.org/fake-subways/

The only real changes from the 0.3 release thus far are updated translations. I'm still planning on implementing a refit option to above-ground state for all vehicles, but work has yet to commence on that. Are there any other feature requests, such as other subways people would like to see, or suggestions for better passenger capacities or other parameters? The current passenger capacities are based mostly on guesswork and I would welcome anyone who has better data on maximum seating [+ standing] capacity of London Underground trains.

NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

Is it still possible to maybe have light rail trains as well? I'm pretty sure subways and LRT trains can perform double duties if needed in real life, and I believe there are some places where LRT has subway routes.

Anyways, could we perhaps get the Toronto's subway cars? Theres the G-Series, H-Series, T-Series, and the newer R-Series dubbed the "Toronto Rocket"
Supercheese
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Supercheese »

NekoMaster wrote:Is it still possible to maybe have light rail trains as well? I'm pretty sure subways and LRT trains can perform double duties if needed in real life, and I believe there are some places where LRT has subway routes.
Do you mean just coding these vehicles as trains rather than trams/RVs? If that's what you mean, that would certainly be possible.
NekoMaster wrote:Anyways, could we perhaps get the Toronto's subway cars? Theres the G-Series, H-Series, T-Series, and the newer R-Series dubbed the "Toronto Rocket"
Ah, surely possible, but I forgot to mention that it is very, very, very helpful if there are already existing graphics, say from another GPL set like 2CC set or the like. Additionally, providing statistics for the subways such as power, max speed, capacity, etc. would be greatly appreciated. Feel free to make feature requests at the devzone as well. :)

NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

By light rail I meant like actual light rail trains on tram tracks, like the Flexity outlook (bought by the Toronto Transit Commission, waiting to be put into service once the stops are rebuilt for them) or the Siemens S70 (used in Houston, TX), or the Bombardier Talent (Ottawa's O Train rolling stock). It would be nice to have something kind of fast for light rail that can be used on tram tracks. Would be nice for building a compact metro or commuter system in a city and/or its suburbs\surrounding towns

As for the subway cars, I think the basics can be found on wikipedia. I think the 2cc set as one of the TTC subway cars, but I can't remember which one.
sunshare
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by sunshare »

How does this work? someone can explain it better than I did not understand. thx
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

sunshare wrote:How does this work? someone can explain it better than I did not understand. thx
They are trams, except you can't see them, so that you can pretend they are subway vehicles that are running under the streets, except they occupy space on the streets and will tie up your street traffic.
Supercheese
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Supercheese »

sunshare wrote:How does this work? someone can explain it better than I did not understand. thx
  1. Load this grf, start a new game
  2. Build a road depot and some drive-through bus stops
  3. Buy a subway tube of your choice (and refit it to a different length if you want)
  4. Send it off to visit the bus stops
  5. Watch as the grf does its best to simulate a subway running in tunnels beneath the roads, transporting passengers about
And yeah, what kamnet said is valid if you choose the Tram parameter. Tying up street traffic is an unfortunate side effect no matter what you choose, though. :(

Return to “Graphics Development”