Fake Subways 0.3

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

sunshare
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Re: Fake Subways 0.3

Post by sunshare »

Supercheese wrote:
sunshare wrote:How does this work? someone can explain it better than I did not understand. thx
  1. Load this grf, start a new game
  2. Build a road depot and some drive-through bus stops
  3. Buy a subway tube of your choice (and refit it to a different length if you want)
  4. Send it off to visit the bus stops
  5. Watch as the grf does its best to simulate a subway running in tunnels beneath the roads, transporting passengers about
And yeah, what kamnet said is valid if you choose the Tram parameter. Tying up street traffic is an unfortunate side effect no matter what you choose, though. :(
thanks for replying, he could already make it work. It could make waypoint to the subways follow a specific path under the road.
trainman1432
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by trainman1432 »

This might be a bit of a necropost but I was thinking.
With NRT out could you make something like a "subway tunnel" tram track that is invisible?
You could have the subways go where roads aren't...
Jetrain
YATTC
Auge
Director
Director

Post by Auge »

Hello
trainman1432 wrote:This might be a bit of a necropost but I was thinking.
With NRT out could you make something like a "subway tunnel" tram track that is invisible?
Even as a tram track the fake-subway" would be a road type and had the same restrictions and implications, i.e. to be part of the traffic jams aside the busses, lorries and trams on the street(s). Sounds not so good.

Tschö, Auge
trainman1432
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by trainman1432 »

Auge wrote:Hello
trainman1432 wrote:This might be a bit of a necropost but I was thinking.
Even as a tram track the fake-subway" would be a road type and had the same restrictions and implications, i.e. to be part of the traffic jams aside the busses, lorries and trams on the street(s). Sounds not so good.

Tschö, Auge
I was thinking to just be able to bridge gaps in the road network.
PS you also could implement overground sprites in the same fashion, using a different tramtrack.
Jetrain
YATTC
luxtram
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by luxtram »

Invisible ghost like implementation does not make sense, but I think that trams as subway with new road times have more sense now.

It is possible to create a metro using mix of tunnels and overlay tiles and special stations.

Tram tracks and and especially stations take less space than rail.

What was lacking so far was the possibility to create special station (stop) tiles for the subway.
California City Sets viewtopic.php?t=76786
1000 building set viewtopic.php?t=75250
trainman1432
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by trainman1432 »

luxtram wrote:Invisible ghost like implementation does not make sense, but I think that trams as subway with new road times have more sense now.

It is possible to create a metro using mix of tunnels and overlay tiles and special stations.

What was lacking so far was the possibility to create special station (stop) tiles for the subway.
What I'm thinking is that we have semi-transparent "Tunnel" sprites offset under the ground, along with that, the "subways" could run through them with sprite displacement.
Finally, you could add an "Overground" Tram-track that switches from underground and offset sprites to overground at grade sprites.
Jetrain
YATTC
SimYouLater
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by SimYouLater »

trainman1432 wrote:
luxtram wrote:Invisible ghost like implementation does not make sense, but I think that trams as subway with new road times have more sense now.

What I'm thinking is that we have semi-transparent "Tunnel" sprites offset under the ground, along with that, the "subways" could run through them with sprite displacement.
Finally, you could add an "Overground" Tram-track that switches from underground and offset sprites to overground at grade sprites.
In case anyone is interested in seeing luxtram's ideas and several other interesting concepts come true in OpenTTD... Just please remember to offer help if you can and not nag about it. Even that list is just framework, if I could do more I would, but I don't and shouldn't expect it to happen just because I posted something somewhere.

P.S. Sorry that this is getting reposted in a few threads; I promise it's just to gather interest, not to spam it. If a topic isn't relevant to the potential of NRT, it won't be posted in. If a topic is posted in like this, there won't be any bumps.
Licenses for my work...
You automatically have my permission to re-license graphics or code by me if needed for use in any project that is not GPL v2, on the condition that if you release any derivatives of my graphics they're automatically considered as ALSO GPL v2 (code may remain unreleased, but please do provide it) and carry this provision in GPL v2 uses.
Please ask someone in-the-know to be sure that the graphics are done by me. Especially TTD-Scale, long story.

Return to “Graphics Development”