US Set Development Thread

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Nite Owl
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: US Set Development Thread

Post by Nite Owl »

krtaylor wrote:Sure, go ahead and post them, we may as well have a look.
The following attachment contains my updated Locomotive and Wagon charts for this set. They are listed by introduction year. They were produced for my own use so they do not include all of the information that was contained in the similar charts from the original Read_Me file. They may also contain information that was not found in the original Read_Me file that I added for my own clarification. It had been awhile since I originally created these charts so my memory of what is and is not included when compared to the originals is a bit hazy. They are compatible with the latest release (v0.87d) of the set. I have included both the OpenOffice and MS Word versions in the zip file. Enjoy.
Attachments
US Set Charts.zip
(33.72 KiB) Downloaded 114 times
Humor is the second most subjective thing on the planet
------------------------------------------------------------
Brevity is the soul of wit and obscenity is its downfall
--------------------------------------------------------
Good Night And Good Luck - Read You Soon
DJ Nekkid
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DJ Nekkid »

wallyweb wrote:
DJ Nekkid wrote:that was not much of a source, that looked merely like a pure decompiled version.
The grf is compiled from the source, therefore decompilation produces the source.
A 'source' would never have that form; behold
'The source' wrote:

Code: Select all

3029 * 22	 02 00 27 82 46 08 03 03 00 00 00 00 01 00 01 01 02 00 02 02 03 00
 3030 * 14	 02 00 2A 81 10 00 FF 01 2C FF 01 01 FF FF
 3031 * 18	 02 00 2B 81 0C 00 FF 02 2A 00 16 16 09 "ÿ##'" 00
 3032 * 14	 02 00 30 81 0C 00 FF 01 00 FF 11 11 0A 00
//OLD Class F 'Berkshire', tender
 3033 * 7	 03 00 01 06 00 2B 00
 3034 * 7	 03 00 81 2C 00 30 00
 3035 * 4	 01 00 02 08
That is not even remotely humanly readable unless its split up somehow, and tbh, i concider myself a rather good coder, as well as a human whom can read. Not to mention the action0's from sprite39 and onward. That is at the brink of beeing not possible to even 'decrypt' as i've done with the code above. Well, it is possible, but it would take quite A LOT of time, and is veryvery easy to make mistakes.

The 'real' source would probably have looked something similar to this:

// Animate
 3029 * 22	 02 00 27 82 46 08 03 03 
                         00 00 00 00 // 1st frame
                         01 00 01 01 // 2nd frame 
                         02 00 02 02 // 3rd frame 
                         03 00       // 4th frame
// Extra callback info - Articulation
 3030 * 14	 02 00 2A 81 10 00 FF 01 // 1 case
                         2C FF 01 01 // add vehicle id 2C at position 1 
                         FF FF       // terminate articulation

// Callbacks Engine
 3031 * 18	 02 00 2B 81 0C 00 FF 02 // 2 callbacks
                         2A 00 16 16  // articulation 
                         09 "ÿ##'"    // dunno, probably p-list text
                         27 00        // attach gfx

// Callbacks Tender
 3032 * 14	 02 00 30 81 0C 00 FF 01 // 1 callback
                         00 FF 11 11  // wagon length
                         0A 00        // attack gfx

// Action 3
 3033 * 7	 03 00 01 06 00 2B 00 // Engine
 3034 * 7	 03 00 81 2C 00 30 00 // Livery Override Tender
Member of the
ImageImage
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

Well, I am sorry, but it's what I've got. You have perhaps discovered why there are very very few people able to code an entire set.
Development Projects Site:
http://www.as-st.com/ttd
Japan, American Transition, Planeset, and Project Generic Stations available there
DJ Nekkid
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DJ Nekkid »

yes, indeed :D

If you need any help, just shout :D
Member of the
ImageImage
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by andythenorth »

wallyweb wrote:The grf is compiled from the source, therefore decompilation produces the source.
Not really :D

If you decompile FIRS / HEQS / FISH / 2CC / ISR etc, you don't get the source, you get decompiled nfo which is almost entirely un-commented bytecode. That violates at least the spirit of the GPL ;)

Many of the bigger sets are built with makefiles + templating systems. The source would include those tools and templates.

However if decompiled nfo is all there is...not much more to be said :o
DJ Nekkid
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DJ Nekkid »

And andy, even "worse".

The way we code theese days (atleast i do :)) Even 'the source' often differs quite A LOT from the the final NFO before compiling :)
Member of the
ImageImage
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

andythenorth & DJ Nekkid wrote:...
The code (nfo) is the source. That (and the pcx) is all that is required to encode a grf and, license permitting, alter the code. Any comments are superfluous and are there merely as a courtesy from the original author. Perhaps this violates the spirit of the GPL but hexadecimals and the resulting drive to drink notwithstanding, spirits do not a source code make. :mrgreen:
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

wallyweb wrote:
andythenorth & DJ Nekkid wrote:...
The code (nfo) is the source. That (and the pcx) is all that is required to encode a grf and, license permitting, alter the code. Any comments are superfluous and are there merely as a courtesy from the original author. Perhaps this violates the spirit of the GPL but hexadecimals and the resulting drive to drink notwithstanding, spirits do not a source code make. :mrgreen:
http://www.linfo.org/source_code.html wrote: Source code (also referred to as source or code) is the version of software as it is originally written (i.e., typed into a computer) by a human in plain text (i.e., human readable alphanumeric characters).
(emphasis mine)
A de-compiled binary thus does not count as source even though it would bring the result when compiling again. Thus handing out a mere de-compilation of the binary when the source is asked for or required is not 'good enough'.
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

Aside from this discussion about what a source code is and what not; They've given us everything they have.
That there is no better source code available is unfortunate, but s*** happens, and discussing about it doesn't bring you that source code.
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

Purno wrote:Aside from this discussion about what a source code is and what not; They've given us everything they have.
That is no source code. In absence of those one can and has to - as last resort - use the de-compiled code which was presented, but which is also something everyone can obtain by means of grfcodec. Unfortunately this is too often the case with old(er) NewGRFs (and was one of the reasons we setup the DevZone - and this project is of course invited to make use of it ;-). A public repository there does make sure that the requirement to be able to produce a source code upon request can actually be fulfilled.)

All this said: I'm happy to see activity for this set. It's a very nice set and updating it to make use of newer features and capabilities and will certainly be a nice thing :-)
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

planetmaker wrote:
Purno wrote:Aside from this discussion about what a source code is and what not; They've given us everything they have.
That is no source code. In absence of those one can and has to - as last resort - use the de-compiled code which was presented, but which is also something everyone can obtain by means of grfcodec. Unfortunately this is too often the case with old(er) NewGRFs (and was one of the reasons we setup the DevZone - and this project is of course invited to make use of it ;-) )

All this said: I'm happy to see activity for this set. It's a very nice set and updating it to make use of newer features and capabilities and will certainly be a nice thing :-)
This argument is useless. There's nothing better available. No matter how you continue on arguing that it isn't a source code, they've given us everything they have!

It can't be possible that a GPL license (or any other) would mean someone has to provide the source code even if they've lost it (like a harddisk crash or well, that kinda stuff which happens).
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
DJ Nekkid
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DJ Nekkid »

Purno wrote:This argument is useless. There's nothing better available. No matter how you continue on arguing that it isn't a source code, they've given us everything they have!
This is probably a discussion where different people probably have to agree upon disagreeing, however, they have not gives us everything they have, they have given us everything we had all along.
Member of the
ImageImage
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

DJ Nekkid wrote:This is probably a discussion where different people probably have to agree upon disagreeing, however, they have not gives us everything they have, they have given us everything we had all along.
I'm not quite sure I understand you correctly, but if I understand correctly you're saying the code they gave us contains nothing new as it doesn't contain any information the decoded GRF doesn't have? :P
Image Image
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

Welcome to reality.
Last edited by planetmaker on 26 Jan 2011 17:23, edited 1 time in total.
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

Is that decoded GRF any useful or are we better off coding from scratch again? :P
Image Image
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

Scratch might indeed be easier and faster - depending on how much you want to change and add.
michael blunck
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by michael blunck »

3030 * 14    02 00 2A 81 10 00 FF 01 2C FF 01 01 FF FF
This is "source code". It fulfills all the conditions given here:
http://www.linfo.org/source_code.html wrote: Source code (also referred to as source or code) is the version of software as it is originally written (i.e., typed into a computer) by a human in plain text (i.e., human readable alphanumeric characters).
(I´ve just typed it in. I didn´t copy it. It´s written in plain text, i.e. alphanumeric, no control codes etc. It´s human readable: "zero two-A eightyone ten zero ...") :cool:

HTH
regards
Michael
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

michael blunck wrote:

3030 * 14    02 00 2A 81 10 00 FF 01 2C FF 01 01 FF FF
(I´ve just typed it in. I didn´t copy it. It´s written in plain text, i.e. alphanumeric, no control codes etc. It´s human readable: "zero two-A eightyone ten zero ...") :cool:
No offence, but thank you for demonstrating how well it is human readable and understandable.

And I guess we should stop this discussion here now before we're all kicked into the off-topic thread.
George
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by George »

andythenorth wrote:
wallyweb wrote:The grf is compiled from the source, therefore decompilation produces the source.
Not really :D
If you decompile FIRS / HEQS / FISH / 2CC / ISR etc, you don't get the source, you get decompiled nfo which is almost entirely un-commented bytecode. That violates at least the spirit of the GPL ;)
Many of the bigger sets are built with makefiles + templating systems. The source would include those tools and templates.
However if decompiled nfo is all there is...not much more to be said :o
Why do GRF authors almost do not use action 0C? :cry:
Look at the ECS. The most commented GRFs. After decoding you can read every comment I do for myself, nothing is lost
Image Image Image Image
michael blunck
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by michael blunck »

planetmaker wrote: No offence, but thank you for demonstrating how well it is human readable and understandable.
Well, I simply used the definition introduced by yourself which does not contain the condition to be "understandable."

Apart from that, even something more remote from bytecode doesn´t automatically qualify to be "understandable":

def(42) articulated(
      addveh(_TENDER) if(1) // tender
      ENDLIST else
)
In an attempt to move away from nfo-coding examples, I might even put some completely non-understandable C++ code snippet here, just for demonstrating that "human readable" != "understandable". :cool:

regards
Michael

Return to “Graphics Development”