US Set Development Thread

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: US Set Development Thread

Post by andythenorth »

I've played US Set a lot. It's nice, and doesn't currently have any really complicated stuff with liveries, engine restrictions, property changes etc.

We should recode it from scratch, using nml, or the nfo+CPP system used for 2CC set.

We can at least take the realsprites (offsets etc) from the decompiled source, maybe the strings as well.
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

Regardless of the presence, absence, or quality of source code, I'm inclined to agree that a complete recoding is appropriate, given the massive changes in the capabilities of the GRF format over the years since the US Set was first released. It sounds like we can recycle the sprite location coding, which as I understand it is a good deal of the work, so that's good.

However, don't underestimate the work involved in adding the new graphics. There were a fair number of animated steam locomotives that I'm not sure if they were coded; the idea was for all of them to be animated, and I believe that's a major pain in the neck. Worth it though, animated steamers look awesome. :lol:
Development Projects Site:
http://www.as-st.com/ttd
Japan, American Transition, Planeset, and Project Generic Stations available there
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

I'm not sure if the current sprites are already placed in templates, but AFAIK that's a major time-saver for the coder (since all xrel,yrel allignments would be identical). If they aren't placed into templates yet, perhaps that's a good start to do. It also might make those animated steamers a bit less of a pain.

I don't know if there's many different templates used all over the community. I know DJNekkid uses them for the 2ccSet, which seem to be necessary with the speed VoyagerOne and other artists spam the topic with new spritework :P

Just an idea here :P
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
DanMacK
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DanMacK »

I'm pretty sure some of the sprites could do with a resizing as well.
Packer
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Packer »

Just a curiosity (know nothing about coding) but would it be possible to use NARS2's code to get different wagon lengths and regearing; just adapt it for the randomization of locomotives (NARS2 has some randomization of cars)?
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

Sounds like more work than just coding it from scratch :P
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
Kogut
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Kogut »

And I really would like to use result of it :D
Correct me If I am wrong - PM me if my English is bad
AIAI - AI for OpenTTD
CharlieMTA
Engineer
Engineer

Post by CharlieMTA »

So what is the state of development on the US set? I know I'm not around often anymore, but I do check from time to time.
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

Everything that's been drawn has been neatly saved and posted on my tracking table, which is still online.

http://www.as-st.com/ttd/usa

And there it sits, as it has sat for some years now, hoping for someone to code it. There've been a few false starts but nothing completed. :cry:
Japan, American Transition, Planeset, and Project Generic Stations available there
onodera
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by onodera »

These ugly "sources" are most likely mine. Because Oracle had left no nfo files of his own, to add ECS support to the US Set I had to decompile the grf and work with the byte codes. It's not as hard as it looks, if you're a programmer. I even managed to add a couple new liveries and trains and sprinkle it with some useful comments, like the train names.
Yes, it's kt's oversight that the set wasn't distributed with its nfo, but this semi-legible nfo is the only one we have. Recoding it with NML will probably be easier than adding complex new features to the existing one, but you'll still need the nfo to get offsets for real sprites.
It's a nodding donkey in my avatar, not me! I'm an oil rig.
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

Well, I've distributed everything I've ever seen. I guess Oracle kept his NFOs.
OzTrans
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by OzTrans »

A problem was raised in the Canadian section ...
alluke wrote:... Yes, the US set is what I was talking about. It doesn't carry all special cargoes (vehicles for example), but the identic Canadian ones do. ...
I don't have a problem with ECS vectors and the USSet regarding the transportation of vehicles. The US Set caters for vehicles if this cargo type is available.
USSet - AutoRack.png
a) Have you got the most recent version of the US Set; i.e. v0.87.4 dated 27 Apr 2007 [that should probably read 2008] ?
b) You mentioned an ECS adaptor. The only ECS adaptor I know of is for compatibility with the DB Set. I don't think you need an adaptor for the US Set.
alluke
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by alluke »

Wow, you were right. Thank you. :)
Axlrose
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Axlrose »

How hard (and would someone be able) to add the wood product (ID 13) from George's ECS set to this American train set? My first estimate would be to have it part of the Gondola train car, followed with a smaller amount in the Boxcar, and then good sized amounts in Centerbeam Wood Flatcar.

Thanks in advance.
as
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by as »

While usset's newcargoes support is not perfect, all freight cars you mentioned can already refitted to wood products in the latest version 0.87.4d, available at usset website.
Unnamed, 1st Jan 1999.png
Unnamed, 1st Jan 1999.png (4.07 KiB) Viewed 3530 times
edit: if you have grf called "ECS adapter for the US Set" do not use it, it was meant for older version of usset and does not work anymore.
Axlrose
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Axlrose »

Ahhh, thanks for that info As. I did download the latest version while I was in the middle of a game, so exchanging the files did not trigger the upgrades until after I exited and started once more.

Too bad I did not look for the upgrade earlier in my game before building a bunch of ship and truck routes since I ~saw~ the trains did not have the various items and proceeded as such.

Thank you again.
EyeMWing
Engineer
Engineer

Post by EyeMWing »

I'll just leave this here:
screenshot.png
Work in progress.
(229.3 KiB) Downloaded 1 time
Okay, maybe I won't just leave it there, because there's a lot going on. I wrote a widget that takes the decompiled nfo, smashes it together with some PNGs made from the decompiled PCX files preserving the original sprite sizing, positioning and offsets, gives you a handy interface for naming the spritegroups, and ultimately pukes them out into a partial nml file.

So that's all the really tedious spritesheet-fiddling of a potential usset reimplementation taken care of. Now the immediate hard part is putting a name to each of these 752 spritesets.

There are a couple of minor issues I still need to work out with the nml export first (I want to get the compression settings carried over, for one) before I post anything.
RUST: Revived US Trainset - DevZone - Discussion - Current release: preview1
Pingaware
Director
Director

Post by Pingaware »

EyeMWing wrote:I'll just leave this here:
screenshot.png
Okay, maybe I won't just leave it there, because there's a lot going on. I wrote a widget that takes the decompiled nfo, smashes it together with some PNGs made from the decompiled PCX files preserving the original sprite sizing, positioning and offsets, gives you a handy interface for naming the spritegroups, and ultimately pukes them out into a partial nml file.

So that's all the really tedious spritesheet-fiddling of a potential usset reimplementation taken care of. Now the immediate hard part is putting a name to each of these 752 spritesets.

There are a couple of minor issues I still need to work out with the nml export first (I want to get the compression settings carried over, for one) before I post anything.
That is quite possibly the best ever ninth post made by someone on the forums. I imagine that you'll be getting large amounts of thanks for putting hard work in to a re-implementation (assuming, as I am, that that is what it is). Let me be the first - thank you very much, and good luck! Look forward to seeing the end product
EyeMWing
Engineer
Engineer

Post by EyeMWing »

Working on identifying the sprites now. Does anybody have any idea how you end up with this circus train in-game?

There are some pretty.... Interesting sprites in here. An Acela Express loco with passenger windows, for instance. Might make a nice fictionalized cab car for a single-ended variant.
RUST: Revived US Trainset - DevZone - Discussion - Current release: preview1

Return to “Graphics Development”