US Set Development Thread

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

alphanumeric
Director
Director

Post by alphanumeric »

I was going to say that.. but im not sure how an all black engine would look.. I can recall if iv seen any that are already in the game..
Kruz
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Kruz »

Well MB made all back engines look really good
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

WOW. Gorgeous. I would NEVER have thought a TTD Big Boy would look so good.

:bow:

I think that the way we handle the liveries should be different for each locomotive, depending on various things. In the case of the Big Boy, I think it should stay in its familiar black/gray, but have a company colored medallion under the cab window and on the side of the tender, which is basically how it really worked in that era with steam locomotives. In my table, I talk about what I think the liveries should be for each train. I'll be posting that list fairly soon.
alphanumeric
Director
Director

Post by alphanumeric »

can I see a screen shot of how you are editing the colors\building of this engine?
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

OK, I have my table ready here:

http://www.as-st.com/ttd/usa

It lists all the trains we should include, a photo of each, and links to reference with more photos, also other comments and information. Of course we can add to the list as needed. Thoughts?
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

Oh uzurpator, you don't mind if we use a couple of trains from the Tropicset do you? Properly credited of course.
uzurpator
Transport Empire Moderator
Transport Empire Moderator

Post by uzurpator »

sure - have fun and I await any progress :)
All art and vehicle stats I authored for TT and derivatives are as of now PUBLIC DOMAIN! Use as you see fit
Just say NO to the TT fan-art sprite licensing madness. Public domain your art as well.
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

Um uzurpator, now that I think about it, you know how to assemble a GRF file. Are you able to do that for us from the developed (and copied) components? We'd get a start on a first release that way. If you look at my table you'll see which of the Tropicset are being used or renamed.
mnorman
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by mnorman »

I have been trying to get a suitable black for the big boy, but have not managed it. If anyone can give me some advice on this I would be very grateful.
I am also having problems getting the front to look right as well (my ellipses are rather square)

Mark
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

Personally I am 100% satisfied with the dark gray you are currently using. Admittedly it is a little lighter than it really ought to be but it looks great. One small carp though, the top of the Big Boy boiler is supposed to be fairly cluttered with smokestacks, domes, etc., and I can't see any of that present.
alphanumeric
Director
Director

Post by alphanumeric »

cool nice table taylor..

the Wdm2 I dont think should be fit into a Gp7.. if u notice on the WDM2 how the cab sits... higher then the rest of the body.. I have seen engines out their like this.. here is a picture of what it almost looks like.. this is what I can describe it to look like (a GP7, but with the long nose and a higher cab)

their is also a "red" AC44, prolly teh AC4400 in the arctic set.. built in 1994.. but It has some flaws..
Attachments
SCR7.JPG
SCR7.JPG (42.79 KiB) Viewed 12409 times
alphanumeric
Director
Director

Post by alphanumeric »

maybe uzurpator could help us out =)

I know he has some hiddin love for american diesel.. and some pretty nice tallant
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

Well. I'd never noticed the difference between the two sides of the WDM2. uzurpator, do you know about this, or does he maybe have an old verion?

I see your point about the WDM2 not being quite the same. But I'm sure you'll agree that it is really really close, and easily modified. And uzurpator doesn't mind if we use it. So we might as well do that, it would be quick and easy anyway.

I'm working on getting permission from Michael Blunck to use his trains.

Are you planning on a pre-release version of the Big Boy? That's just cool. What did you use for performance parameters?
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

Note to Moderator, PLEASE change the name of this thread to "American Train set." I like "American Transition" which is what I'm calling it, and what it is, but admittedly Europeans probably won't know what that means.
alphanumeric
Director
Director

Post by alphanumeric »

[quote="krtaylor"]Well. I'd never noticed the difference between the two sides of the WDM2. uzurpator, do you know about this, or does he maybe have an old verion?

quote]

no no.. its the AC44 (aka AC4400) in the arctic set that has 2 different sides..

here is a picture of 1 (ac4400)
also.. I have noticed that all of the diesels in the arctic set... are canadian..
alphanumeric
Director
Director

Post by alphanumeric »

here is a picture of the VIA Rail (canada) F40 Image

NOTE: I will take these images out and host them myself and resize them to a small format ( they are prolly laggin everyone up)
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

Ah. As I look back, you're right, it's not the WDM2.

I'm not sure about them all being Canadian.

The TurboTrain was used in Canada but it was made by United Aircraft, which I think is American. By the way, although they haven't been used since the 1970s, they are being rebuilt and will return to service between NYC, Albany and Buffalo.

The SD40 is made by EMD which is an American company. Of course they were used in Canada too, and I think MB's version is in a Canadian liver,y but it's an American train. Likewise the F40. Note that the F40 has matching livery cars for Amtrak.

The P42 is by General Electric, again with Amtrak cars.

The only Canadian locomotives in TTD are a few electrics, and the JetTrain, all of which are from Bombardier.
alphanumeric
Director
Director

Post by alphanumeric »

ohh my mistake.. I didnt mean to say they were built* in canada.. sorry I confuse myself sometimes haha

but they will need new skins for sure..
alphanumeric
Director
Director

Post by alphanumeric »

maybe I will just have to built an N-scale or HO scale trainset in my garage and delete TTD off my hard drive....

cause turning TTD into my own trainset aint working out lol
alphanumeric
Director
Director

Post by alphanumeric »

okay I am thinking.. we should add at least 1 small\slower engine with a switcher body designe.. here is a picture.. maybe something like this but smaller...

they can be used in the early stages of the game after steam.. for short distance.. or you can add a couple of them to the back of ur existing train to boost up teh speed..

but im not sure how the physics of the game work just yet, in adding additional engines to go faster....

Return to “Graphics Development”