WIP: Beach object tiles, Version 1.2 released (20 february 2016)

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Bob_Mackenzie
Chairman
Chairman

Re: WIP: Beach object tiles

Post by Bob_Mackenzie »

How about an uneven edge for the sand tiles to use if you don't want to use the surf tiles?
jor[D]1
Director
Director

Post by jor[D]1 »

Damm I needed those months ago, finally somone is making them :)

Very nice, keep up. Maybe at a pier tile with funfair orso, or the scheveningen pier.

A Transition pies for your harbour set would also be nice.
View my (train)pictures on Flickr
Quast65
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Quast65 »

How about an uneven edge for the sand tiles to use if you don't want to use the surf tiles?
If you mean flat sandtiles with a "normal" Opengfx waterline just like the sloped ones I drew firstly? Yes, they will be included.
Damm I needed those months ago, finally somone is making them
Very nice, keep up. Maybe at a pier tile with funfair orso, or the scheveningen pier.
A Transition pies for your harbour set would also be nice.
Thanks for the thumbs up!
I first want to get the basic tiles done, then I can make tiles with more eyecandy things (like a pier). But I will be very happy if anyone could contribute in the graphic work by drawing those things. ;-)
Projects: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=57266
Screenshots: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=56959
Scenario of The Netherlands: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=87604

Winner of the following screenshot competitions:
sep 2012, jan 2013, apr 2013, aug 2013, mar 2014, mar 2016, oct 2020
All my work is released under GPL-license (either V2 or V3), if not clearly stated otherwise.
jor[D]1
Director
Director

Post by jor[D]1 »

I'm going to give a try on some things... Will see how far i will get.
Quast65
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Quast65 »

That would be nice!
I'm not sure if you ever contributed graphics to OTTD before, but please keep in mind that I use the DOS-color Palette. So please only use colors from that palette when drawing.
palette.png
palette.png (4.82 KiB) Viewed 2468 times

All my work is released under GPL-license (either V2 or V3), if not clearly stated otherwise.
Core Xii
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Core Xii »

I find it odd that the umbrellas don't cast a shadow. That is, after all, their intended purpose. :P

Image Image
Quast65
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Quast65 »

I find it odd that the umbrellas don't cast a shadow. That is, after all, their intended purpose.
Yep, you are not the only one that asked that ;-) And I agree, also thanks for the pic you added, gives a nice idea of how the shadow should look. I'll work on that.

Development news:
I think I have finished most of the basic tiles, I've made some transitions a bit better (shallow water to sand) and I've also made transition pieces for sand to grass. Which have a nice side effect, you can use them to make sandy paths ;-)

If all goes well, I'll post a very very alpha GRF tomorrow.

A little taster:
Beach10.png
Beach10.png (49.48 KiB) Viewed 2380 times
Beach11.png
Beach11.png (80.98 KiB) Viewed 2380 times
Beach12.png
Beach12.png (117.14 KiB) Viewed 2380 times

kotssmurf
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by kotssmurf »

Very cool! I'll be keeping a very close eye on this thread for the release.
Can't wait to integrate this in my games!
jor[D]1
Director
Director

Post by jor[D]1 »

How does it look with the default OpenGFX landscape? so with gridlines?
YNM
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by YNM »

jor[D]1 wrote:How does it look with the default OpenGFX landscape? so with gridlines?
All of this screenshot, I believe, is using 100% OGFX baseset :D (As Quast stated a page ago, he only use OGFX - and so making one which is compatible with)
YNM = yoursNotMine - Don't get it ?
「ヨーッスノットマイン」もと申します。
Katve
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Katve »

In the screenshots he is using grf OGFX+ and there is parameter to disable gridlines. You can check it out and compare it to normal OGFX so you can clearly see different. He is also using OGFX baseset, but that grf makes land look different.
Transportman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Transportman »

In your last screenshot I can't really see the hills for the directions that have the low side West. The NW-one is almost invisible to me. Don't know if that is fixable and how, but if you can do something with it, it would be great.
Coder of the Dutch Trackset | Development support for the Dutch Trainset | Coder of the 2cc TrainsInNML
YNM
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by YNM »

Katve wrote:In the screenshots he is using grf OGFX+ and there is parameter to disable gridlines. You can check it out and compare it to normal OGFX so you can clearly see different. He is also using OGFX baseset, but that grf makes land look different.
I know that, I'm using OGFX + Landscapes without grids several times :D I think its still does good on tiles with grids. I know grids would probably making the sands seems less eye-catching. (And so Quast didn't add it)

Transportman wrote:In your last screenshot I can't really see the hills...
Shadows would be great :bow: Really, with the limited color, making shadows would be really great, indeed...
「ヨーッスノットマイン」もと申します。
Quast65
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Quast65 »

Very cool! I'll be keeping a very close eye on this thread for the release.
Can't wait to integrate this in my games!
Thnx!
How does it look with the default OpenGFX landscape? so with gridlines?
Like this:
Beach13.png
Beach13.png (50.04 KiB) Viewed 2274 times
I know grids would probably making the sands seems less eye-catching. (And so Quast didn't add it)
Indeed! What I did was recolor the tiles from the Opengfx base set and made the gridlines a bit less visible. Only the flat tiles are recolored from the OpenGFX-landscape and therefor have almost no gridlines visible. To me that looks best, but that is a matter of personal opinion ;-)
In your last screenshot I can't really see the hills for the directions that have the low side West. The NW-one is almost invisible to me. Don't know if that is fixable and how, but if you can do something with it, it would be great.
Agreed, now that I have finished drawing all the basic tiles I can really see where some alterations should be made. Especially in the above screenshot you can see that that is needed. I think making the tiles you pointed out a bit darker would already do the trick. Thnx for mentioning this!

Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

All those graphics in here all look amazing, but there's one thing I really miss: People. I realize they're hard to draw, but during a hot summer day, beaches are crowded with people, to the point there's not a single spot left. Without people, the beaches really look empty.
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
SkiddLow
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by SkiddLow »

Purno wrote:All those graphics in here all look amazing, but there's one thing I really miss: People. I realize they're hard to draw, but during a hot summer day, beaches are crowded with people, to the point there's not a single spot left. Without people, the beaches really look empty.
Beach object tiles if was no Peoples, you can adding peoples in beach to drew up.
Quast65
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Quast65 »

Purno wrote:All those graphics in here all look amazing, but there's one thing I really miss: People. I realize they're hard to draw, but during a hot summer day, beaches are crowded with people, to the point there's not a single spot left. Without people, the beaches really look empty.
Thnx!
Yeah I would like to add people too, even though they are difficult to draw, but I'll take a look at some GRF's that have them in and how it would look in bathingsuits ;-) But still this GRF is in its very early stages, so it might take a while.
The only thing that is too bad is that it is likely not possible to have animations starting at a particular time, so that the beaches only will be crowded at the summermonths.
SkiddLow wrote:Beach object tiles if was no Peoples, you can adding peoples in beach to drew up.
I have no idea what you mean to say ;-) Your english is very difficult to understand. Maybe it's an idea to also post in your normal language, so that we might try to translate it with a better translatingtool. I saw you came from Jakarta, do you maybe also speak Dutch?

YNM
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by YNM »

Quast65 wrote:
Thnx!
Yeah I would like to add people too, even though they are difficult to draw, but I'll take a look at some GRF's that have them in and how it would look in bathingsuits ;-)
No need of bathingsuit, probably a short with/without T shirt :D (or bikini if you want !! Or even nude beahces !!)
Quast65 wrote: The only thing that is too bad is that it is likely not possible to have animations starting at a particular time, so that the beaches only will be crowded at the summermonths.
Why ? Its always summer here ! :)
Quast65 wrote:
SkiddLow wrote:Beach object tiles if was no Peoples, you can adding peoples in beach to drew up.
I have no idea what you mean to say ;-) Your english is very difficult to understand. Maybe it's an idea to also post in your normal language, so that we might try to translate it with a better translatingtool. I saw you came from Jakarta, do you maybe also speak Dutch?
Nope, I know he use Google Translate, but he use it wrong :wink: (Google translate only usefull while translating one or two words, but not even one sentence)
「ヨーッスノットマイン」もと申します。
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

Quast65 wrote: The only thing that is too bad is that it is likely not possible to have animations starting at a particular time, so that the beaches only will be crowded at the summermonths.
Why is that not possible? you can query the date. And make beaches more crowded on Sundays and on February 29th and January 1st (New Year Swimming!)
http://newgrf-specs.tt-wiki.net/wiki/GlobalVariables

Mind to provide a parameter "Southern Hemisphere" vs "Northern Hemisphere" so that summer can be in Dec - Feb or in Jun - Aug :-)
Or read the snowline (if in arctic) and decide on that :D
Quast65
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Quast65 »

@Planetmaker, thnx! very usefull information! And indeed adding that parameter is a good suggestion to make it interesting for players all over the globe. Except for the lucky ones that have summer all year round, you know who you are... :evil:
Nope, I know he use Google Translate, but he use it wrong

Ahh well, when I can understand some posts I'll try to answer them. But I guess you'll have to change your signature, you're not the only one from Java anymore ;-)

Return to “Graphics Development”