[OTTD] Pipelines - PIPE v6.41 [27/05/2023]

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

ytr191
Engineer
Engineer

Re: [OTTD][WIP] Pipelines - PIPE v5 [26/10/2012]

Post by ytr191 »

Me and my friends decided to put pipelines to the test against trains. So I brought 50 pumps and my competitor brought 10 trains.

My competitor made around 10 mil a year, while I only barely made 1mil a year even with the same distance traveled.

Is it possible you could increase the capacity of the pumps, along with making the cost of them cheaper? Since at the moment trains out do pipelines on a 1:10 ratio.

It makes them useless in competitive play.
YNM
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by YNM »

ytr191 wrote:Me and my friends decided to put pipelines to the test against trains. So I brought 50 pumps and my competitor brought 10 trains.

My competitor made around 10 mil a year, while I only barely made 1mil a year even with the same distance traveled.

Is it possible you could increase the capacity of the pumps, along with making the cost of them cheaper? Since at the moment trains out do pipelines on a 1:10 ratio.

It makes them useless in competitive play.
The ten trains could have a length of 64 tiles. :wink:

Your pipelines is actually competitive. The oils delivered faster, because the "pumps" in this set is really fast ! Also, just buy more and more pumps, make signalling so dense that the minimum separation between two "pumps" is very short. Y'know, as an actual oil pipes are supposed to do... (constantly running !)
YNM = yoursNotMine - Don't get it ?
「ヨーッスノットマイン」もと申します。
ytr191
Engineer
Engineer

Post by ytr191 »

Is the mod creator still developing this mod?
LaDoncella
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Re: [OTTD][WIP] Pipelines - PIPE v6 [27/09/2013]

Post by LaDoncella »

posted new version

added parameter to make vehicles invisible
KeldorKatarn
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Re: [OTTD][WIP] Pipelines - PIPE v6.1 [27/09/2013]

Post by KeldorKatarn »

Question, how much work would it be to adjust the graphics of the pipes to fit the ones used in the DWE station tiles?
I'm asking because they have some station tiles with pipelines already and one could do something like in the attached screenshot.

It is already possible to trick a bit by using that tank graphics, as I did in the lower left station, but it would be cool to be able to directly connect those pipes (the currently included 'station' pipes are just the same as the tracks and end nowhere)

Also one of those tanks would make a good graphics for a depot wouldn't it? maybe you can ask them for that sprite.
Attachments
Heidelberg Transport, 26th Jan 2100.png
(210.81 KiB) Downloaded 8 times
LaDoncella
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by LaDoncella »

kamnet wrote:Have you had any time to work on the new tunnel overlays?
Nope, didn't try. :oops:
KeldorKatarn wrote:Question, how much work would it be to adjust the graphics of the pipes to fit the ones used in the DWE station tiles?
It means that you have to change all offsets and probably redraw diagonals. Not very eager.
skippern
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by skippern »

NekoMaster wrote:Right now road types haven't been implemented just yet, so it will be some time till that happens.

It would be nice if there was a utility network thingy like Road and rail, that way you'd have Road, Trams, Rails, Air, Sea, and Utilities (like Electricity and Pipes)

BTW, what about underground pipes like what they did with the subways in NuTracks, that way we can have nearly invisible pipes for returns or around cities
+1, and allow roads to be constructed on top, or construct under roads
Skippern
OpenTTD Mac user
djmattyg007
Engineer
Engineer

Post by djmattyg007 »

Why do the pipes stop appearing after 2012? It seems quite odd given I'm fairly sure oil pipelines are in use today in 2014.

Perhaps this could be made configurable?
V453000 :)
President
President

Post by V453000 :) »

realism intensifies
ImageImageImage
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

kamnet wrote:FINALLY! The best use for PIPES in OpenTTD!
That does it! I'm moving to Bruges! :mrgreen:
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

While some people may think that pipes and power lines/plants are beyond the scope of a transport company, technically, a company can choose what they want to persue and transport. I think its a nice idea to transport tons of oil to a refinary by pipes or to a central location then transport the rest of the oil or chemicals by rail. Everyday I commute to work and back home I see trains in Oshawa carrying all kinds of cargo, though a lot of them look like tankers lately but you can't really tell what they're carrying

Done right a pipe line is a more efficent way to transport liquids and the products made from them can be then be sent to various places. For example, Send oil to a refinary, then take the raw plastic to a plastic plant by rail. Theres too many industries that need refined goods to be able to set up pipelines everywhere.
Image Proud Canadian Image
Nekomasters Projects! (Downloads available on BaNaNaS!) \(>^w^<)/
# NARS ADD-ON SET 2CC | 2cc Rapid Transit For Me! (2ccRTFM) | 2cc Wagons In NML (2ccWIN)
# NML Category System (Organize your GRFS!) <- TT-Forums Exclusive Download!
sunshare
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by sunshare »

Okay as valves appear alongside? Or am I doing something wrong?
Attachments
Sunshare Int. Co., 28º Nov 1896.png
(160.42 KiB) Downloaded 4 times
skippern
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by skippern »

NekoMaster wrote:While some people may think that pipes and power lines/plants are beyond the scope of a transport company, technically, a company can choose what they want to persue and transport. I think its a nice idea to transport tons of oil to a refinary by pipes or to a central location then transport the rest of the oil or chemicals by rail. Everyday I commute to work and back home I see trains in Oshawa carrying all kinds of cargo, though a lot of them look like tankers lately but you can't really tell what they're carrying

Done right a pipe line is a more efficent way to transport liquids and the products made from them can be then be sent to various places. For example, Send oil to a refinary, then take the raw plastic to a plastic plant by rail. Theres too many industries that need refined goods to be able to set up pipelines everywhere.
Actually I find it quite challenging getting all the goods out of a refinery that are supplied tons upon tons of oil through a large pipeline working on capacity. Also it can be quite challenging getting a proper working pipeline, and had a few instances of congestion. Also I see no problem having a pipeline run un parallel with a railroad, as I would transport dry bulk cargo on the railroad, and liquid cargoes on the pipeline
Skippern
OpenTTD Mac user
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

I just tried this with my new Urban Transit bridge. 8)
Attachments
Urban Transit Pipelne Example.png
Urban Transit Pipelne Example.png (55.42 KiB) Viewed 5109 times
Wahazar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wahazar »

Pity, that there are very high maintenance costs of these pipes.
If infrastructure costs are turned on, pipes are not competitive.
The only appliance is to pump from oil wells and transfer to the nearby train station (gives almost 99% pump station rating).

Another issue is disambiguation of valve/semaphores images. It very hard to distinguish between one-way patch signals directions.
I suggest to add on-pipe painted arrows.
Formerly known as: McZapkie
Projects: Reproducible Map Generation patch, NewGRFs: Manpower industries, PolTrams, Polroad, 600mm narrow gauge, wired, ECS industry extension, V4 CEE train set, HotHut.
Another favorite games: freeciv longturn, OHOL/2HOL.
LaDoncella
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by LaDoncella »

sunshare wrote:Okay as valves appear alongside? Or am I doing something wrong?
It tends to happen when you add pipe grf or other sets while already ingame.
djmattyg007 wrote:Why do the pipes stop appearing after 2012? It seems quite odd given I'm fairly sure oil pipelines are in use today in 2014.
Because there is very little that can be done to differentiate further variants of the pumps the way i designed them.
wallyweb wrote:I just tried this with my new Urban Transit bridge. 8)
Pretty cool!
McZapkie wrote:Pity, that there are very high maintenance costs of these pipes.
If infrastructure costs are turned on, pipes are not competitive.
Wouldn't know, exponential infra cost doesn't work very well when you don't aim for exponential income. :o
Anyway check the just released 6.3
sunshare
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Re: [OTTD] Pipelines - PIPE v6.3 [07/03/2015]

Post by sunshare »

A station can be connected to the rig and use the submarine pipes Foul

Return to “Graphics Development”