Useless Tracks

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Useless Tracks

Post by FooBar »

Thanks everyone!

@planetmaker: sure these don't look like any OpenTTD bridge, but since these will be objects I figured I might do whatever I please :) Just imagine these are part of a bridge that isn't available for puchase any more. The default bridge pillars are a bit unimaginative. Functional, but no eyecandy.

@CheesePlant: There's a release with the two tracktypes on BaNaNaS since yesterday. You cannot place track over the top, but you can use the convert tool to change them in a different track type.

@Snail: I left the fences as is for now. I aim to draw some old fences, but will also add a parameter to remove them completely.
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

A little progress...
Attachments
duplicate.png
duplicate.png (23.15 KiB) Viewed 5726 times
Quast65
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Quast65 »

Nice! But I think the slope needs a bit more work. The brown on it doesn't look right (it looks like it hovers), so I think it needs a bit of a foundation under it.
Projects: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=57266
Screenshots: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=56959
Scenario of The Netherlands: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=87604

Winner of the following screenshot competitions:
sep 2012, jan 2013, apr 2013, aug 2013, mar 2014, mar 2016, oct 2020
All my work is released under GPL-license (either V2 or V3), if not clearly stated otherwise.
YNM
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by YNM »

Wow. Cool 8) :D
Anyway, is that feature will need a trunk to work ? Or coded as Object ?
YNM = yoursNotMine - Don't get it ?
「ヨーッスノットマイン」もと申します。
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

The last screenshot is intended to be objects. Will be a while before it's done though, as I'm actually playing the game now :)
JacobD88
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by JacobD88 »

Wonderful stuff FooBar :bow:

One question, would it be possible to add a parameter to allow traffic on the unused tracks?

My reason for this is eye-candy and screenshot oriented; it would be good to leave "abandoned" carriages and wagons on some stretches using the invisible engine grfs; in addition, if i want to move stock to a different part of the network via a "closed" route, i wouldn't have to change the track type, move the stock, and change the track type again.

Many thanks

JCB
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

Thanks! It is possible to allow trains on unused tracks, but it's a bit tricky. I can allow default vehicles, but if you're using a different track set together with this specific code to support that track set is required. I cannot simply "allow all vehicles", as there's no such thing to do so.

So if there's any track set that you use together with that, let me know and I'll see what I can do.
JacobD88
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by JacobD88 »

Many thanks FooBar, i tend to use the UK Finescale Tracks by PikkaBird

I suppose this will be the case for most of the people who don't use NuTracks (which has track planning anyway) in addition to the default tracks used by NARS etc. But i would have to check BaNaNaS download figures to confirm this suspicion...
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

Ah, good to know that UK finescale track has planning too. I still have to sort out what railtype label to use, as I just picked something now :P

Supporting that track set will be fairly easy, as it's mostly a replacement of the default tracks, and hence uses the default labels.
Supercheese
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Supercheese »

FooBar wrote:Ah, good to know that UK finescale track has planning too. I still have to sort out what railtype label to use, as I just picked something now :P

Supporting that track set will be fairly easy, as it's mostly a replacement of the default tracks, and hence uses the default labels.
It's NuTracks that has planning tracks, not Pikka's finescales, IIRC.
Eyecandy Road Vehicles | Fake Subways | Supercheese's NewObjects

"Fashions and cultures change, but steam trains shall always be majestic."
-Professor Hershel Layton
SquireJames
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SquireJames »

I would also love a UKRS Finescale compatible version of the planning and derelict tracks ( just to show some support :) )
De Funes
Engineer
Engineer

Post by De Funes »

Menu - Build Railway Track - Planning track construction - direction of the track icons - third and fourth icons I thing are swapped :)

Nice work, thanks.

Greetings from Czech Republic
De Funes
Attachments
bar.png
bar.png (51.38 KiB) Viewed 5266 times
Transport Tycoon player since 1997
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

Not just the toolbar icons, also the cursor is swapped from the looks of your picture :P
Thanks for reporting! I'll fix it soon(ish).
JacobD88
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by JacobD88 »

Hi FooBar;

A feature request, in addition to the traffic-allowable parameter i mentioned above... Is it possible to add a fine-scale lights-off version of the signals?

Whether you use the UKRS, or NuTracks Finescale tracks; the current lights-off sprites seem out of place. Would a generic fine-scale signal be feasible in a future release? Or ideally the GRF detect which finescale set is in use and add the appropriate lights-off version?

Other than that, great stuff, I've used useless tracks in every game I've played since release :bow:
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

JacobD88 wrote:Or ideally the GRF detect which finescale set is in use and add the appropriate lights-off version?
That's plausible. If the signals are provided to me in the same template as the current signals, then it's less than half an hour for me to add it as an option. Even with automatic detection if the GRFIDs to be detected are provided as well.

Please note that the graphics need to be GPL licensed.
Kogut
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Kogut »

Nice idea, but why "lifted tracks" railtype have visible tracks over snow line?

BTW, I love "visit website" in OpenTTD.
Correct me If I am wrong - PM me if my English is bad
AIAI - AI for OpenTTD
Railwaymodeler
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Railwaymodeler »

JacobD88 wrote:Wonderful stuff FooBar :bow:

One question, would it be possible to add a parameter to allow traffic on the unused tracks?

My reason for this is eye-candy and screenshot oriented; it would be good to leave "abandoned" carriages and wagons on some stretches using the invisible engine grfs;
This has potential. Anyone remember the Boxcar Children books? Park a NARS boxcar at the end of an abandoned siding, and you pretty much got it.
JacobD88 wrote:in addition, if i want to move stock to a different part of the network via a "closed" route, i wouldn't have to change the track type, move the stock, and change the track type again.

Many thanks

JCB
But real railroads have to re-lay track and then have to tear it up again too. There was a long-abandoned siding near here, leading to the Zion nuclear power plant. When they dismantled the disused power plant, they had to rebuild the siding, as parts of the plant were going to be used in a construction in Utah. Carrying the parts out by rail made the most sense, so a long-abandoned siding had to have rails and ties repaired just for these moves.
Without Trains America Stops

FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

Kogut wrote:Nice idea, but why "lifted tracks" railtype have visible tracks over snow line?
The idea is that when covered in snow, nobody will bother removing the tracks.
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

so in winter the tracks magically reappear and disappear in the summer?

(the variable snowline feature is way older than this GRF, you know)

Return to “Graphics Development”