Transport Tycoon Forums

The place to talk about Transport Tycoon
It is currently Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:04 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:17 pm 
Tycoon
Tycoon

Welcome to the development thread for the Vactrain Set. I’ve been working on this update on and off for the past few years, rewriting it to include most of the features promised in the release thread.

Now that it’s almost ready for a full release, I’m posting a beta version so we can put the finishing touches on. I'm intentionally leaving the details out because there'll be a nice write-up and usage guide on the main thread when the full release comes, so you'll just have to try out what's new for yourself :p

Things that need to be done before the final release:
  • Make balance tweaks to reliability, cost, capacity etc.
  • Add more parameters where necessary, e.g. disable cargo engines
  • Fix any important bugs or issues
  • Get sounds working

Things that will be in future releases
  • Custom signals, tunnels, eyecandy
  • Make alt text adjust to different units, i.e. kW and mph (haven't figured this out yet)
  • Different loads for cargo wagons (WIP)
  • Translations

I’ve also made my own version of the bridge speed limit GRF: the Vactrain Set Companion, now available on bananas. This small NFO project may include station and waypoint tiles in the future, but for now it's a very simple optional addon.

Feedback, bug reports, suggestions and translations go below :)

Attachments:
File comment: A small preview of the train list and new rails
vactrain-preview.png
vactrain-preview.png [ 69.63 KiB | Viewed 1860 times ]
File comment: Vactrain Set 1.0.Beta 1, 2018-01-30
vactrain_1.0BETA.tar [198 KiB]
Downloaded 110 times

--My Award-Winning Screenshots and Videos--

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:18 pm 
Tycoon
Tycoon

More downloads...

Attachments:
File comment: Vactrain Set 1.0 Beta 1 Source Code and GRF, 2018-01-30
vactrainset_1.0BETA_src.tar [1.46 MiB]
Downloaded 45 times
File comment: Vactrain Set Companion 0.1.0 Source Code and GRF, 2018-01-30
vactrain_companion_src.tar [26.5 KiB]
Downloaded 33 times
File comment: Language pack for translators. Includes a German translation by me, which could probably be improved.
language_pack.tar [19.5 KiB]
Downloaded 23 times

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:42 pm 
Engineer
Engineer

I really like the new vactrains, great work with this set!!

It's a great feature they can run on normal maglev tracks as well, very convenient :)

Btw, I attached an updated version of your (already very well) German translation

Attachments:
german.lng [6.59 KiB]
Downloaded 23 times

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:40 pm 
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Looks great!

Also, some translations:
I don't know what this meant:
Code:
lang: 7F
so I didn't change it. But here, take this:

Attachments:
esperanto.lng [6.62 KiB]
Downloaded 20 times
dutch.lng [6.81 KiB]
Downloaded 23 times

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:34 am 
Engineer
Engineer

Quick observations from trying to get it to interact with NuTracks:

1) It must be placed above NuTracks on GRF list, otherwise the maglev infrastructure and construction costs are nerfed (practically nothing)
2) Infrastructure maintenance is too low compared to NuTracks scale (equivalent to the second highest speed when it should be maybe 2x maglev costs) with no setting to change this (unlike other costs)

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 2:10 pm 
Engineer
Engineer

This is a lovely set. Just one suggestion, Fenglong is chinese name,so probably you need to change flag associated with FL-8 and FL-5 to chinese flag instead of India and Russia flag.

Also a suggestion:- Try making your set 32 bpp supported

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 3:37 pm 
Tycoon
Tycoon

mrjack2 wrote:
2) Infrastructure maintenance is too low compared to NuTracks scale (equivalent to the second highest speed when it should be maybe 2x maglev costs) with no setting to change this (unlike other costs)

I agree there should be a setting to change infra costs, I've put it on my to-do list :)

goremaniac wrote:
This is a lovely set. Just one suggestion, Fenglong is chinese name,so probably you need to change flag associated with FL-8 and FL-5 to chinese flag instead of India and Russia flag.

The FL-8 and FL-5 originally had Chinese flags, but there were too many Chinese flags and I wanted to give the BRICS nations some representation. The story behind them is that they're Chinese developed and built but sold to Russia and India as part of a greater pan-Asian vactrain network.

As for 32bpp, I don't intend to ever make 32bpp art for any of my NewGRFs, sorry :)

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 4:40 pm 
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Emperor Jake wrote:
mrjack2 wrote:

I agree there should be a setting to change infra costs, I've put it on my to-do list :)

goremaniac wrote:

The FL-8 and FL-5 originally had Chinese flags, but there were too many Chinese flags and I wanted to give the BRICS nations some representation. The story behind them is that they're Chinese developed and built but sold to Russia and India as part of a greater pan-Asian vactrain network.

As for 32bpp, I don't intend to ever make 32bpp art for any of my NewGRFs, sorry :)

To be honest, I don't get 32bpp. It means I can't have larger than default zoom or I see buildings and vehicles that don't match the remaining graphics.

You automatically have my permission to re-license graphics or code by me if needed for use in any project that is not GPL v2, on the condition that if you release any derivatives of my graphics they're automatically considered as ALSO GPL v2 (code may remain unreleased, but please do provide it) and carry this provision in GPL v2 uses.
Please ask someone in-the-know to be sure that the graphics are done by me. Especially TTD-Scale, long story.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 5:51 pm 
Tycoon
Tycoon

SimYouLater wrote:
To be honest, I don't get 32bpp. It means I can't have larger than default zoom or I see buildings and vehicles that don't match the remaining graphics.

See this post from Gwyd:
https://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=77141&start=100#p1206659
In short, as I understand it, 32bpp means you can use any color and because of that you can make structures look a lot smoother/detailed, than with using the "old" Openttd palettes.

Winner of the following screenshot competitions:
sep 2012, jan 2013, apr 2013, aug 2013, mar 2014, mar 2016
All my work is released under GPL-license (either V2 or V3), if not clearly stated otherwise.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 6:03 pm 
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Quast65 wrote:
SimYouLater wrote:

See this post from Gwyd:
In short, as I understand it, 32bpp means you can use any color and because of that you can make structures look a lot smoother/detailed, than with using the "old" Openttd palettes.

No issue with more colors, but if you're going to do 32bpp, keep in mind that some people want to be able to zoom to 4x without a mismatch of graphics.

You automatically have my permission to re-license graphics or code by me if needed for use in any project that is not GPL v2, on the condition that if you release any derivatives of my graphics they're automatically considered as ALSO GPL v2 (code may remain unreleased, but please do provide it) and carry this provision in GPL v2 uses.
Please ask someone in-the-know to be sure that the graphics are done by me. Especially TTD-Scale, long story.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 6:18 pm 
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

SimYouLater wrote:
Quast65 wrote:
SimYouLater wrote:

See this post from Gwyd:

No issue with more colors, but if you're going to do 32bpp, keep in mind that some people want to be able to zoom to 4x without a mismatch of graphics.

You didn't read Quast65 or Gwyd's posts, they mentioned that the extra-zoom a) isn't what defined 32bpp and b) is achievable in 8bpp

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 8:44 pm 
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Erato wrote:
SimYouLater wrote:
Quast65 wrote:
See this post from Gwyd:

You didn't read Quast65 or Gwyd's posts, they mentioned that the extra-zoom a) isn't what defined 32bpp and b) is achievable in 8bpp

I misunderstood them. Sorry. :oops:

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 4:10 am 
Tycoon
Tycoon

The confusion comes from the doomed 32bpp Full Zoom project which combined:
1) 32bpp color palette
2) 4x zoom
3) Blender/3D-rendered graphics instead of hand drawn/pixel pushed graphics.

Casual users will need to untangle themselves from those notions and accept that all three are separate concepts.

Base Music Sets: OpenMSX | Scott Joplin Anthology | Traditional Winter Holiday Music | Modern Motion Music
Other Projects: 2CC Trams | Modern Waypoints | Sprite Sandbox & NewGRF Releases | Ideabox | Town Names | Isle of Sodor Scenario | Random Sprite Repository
Misc Topics: My Screenshots | Forgotten NewGRFs | Unfinished Graphics Sets | Stats Shack | RoadTypes?

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 4:07 pm 
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Emperor Jake wrote:
Things that will be in future releases
  • Make alt text adjust to different units, i.e. kW and mph (haven't figured this out yet)
You could have this as a parameter.

Also, could you add a parameter so the Vactrain Set doesn't always override the default maglev tracks? So that it's a separate thing.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 8:10 pm 
Engineer
Engineer

Just got back to this game for the first time in a very long time, interesting to see mods like this!

Looking forward to seeing this major update completed! :D

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 8:46 pm 
Director
Director

kamnet wrote:
The confusion comes from the doomed 32bpp Full Zoom project which combined:
1) 32bpp color palette
2) 4x zoom
3) Blender/3D-rendered graphics instead of hand drawn/pixel pushed graphics.

Casual users will need to untangle themselves from those notions and accept that all three are separate concepts.
Done https://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=83238&p=1206919#p1206919

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 6:32 am 
Tycoon
Tycoon

Erato wrote:
Also, could you add a parameter so the Vactrain Set doesn't always override the default maglev tracks? So that it's a separate thing.

Good idea, but do you mean the whole railtype(including the speed limit) or just the graphics? I assume this is for better compatibility with MTS.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 9:53 am 
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Emperor Jake wrote:
Good idea, but do you mean the whole railtype(including the speed limit) or just the graphics? I assume this is for better compatibility with MTS.
I presume that with he first one you mean making VACT incompatible with MGLV as well?

Both is fine. Make a dropdown parameter. That would allow the player the freedom to choose.

It is for MTS compatibility, but it has a usecase outside of MTS.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 2:07 pm 
Engineer
Engineer

Just messed around with it in singleplayer a bunch, and am loving the improvements! Being able to run them on regular maglev works wonderfully, and will make upgrading to it much easier.

Would it be possible to put this beta on BaNaNaS? I'd like to add it to my server for us to play around with, having it automatically downloadable would make things much more convenient. :D

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 4:29 pm 
Tycoon
Tycoon

This beta was meant as a bug testing release, since there don't seem to be any I'll post it to Bananas as soon as I get around to adding new features :)