zBase (32bpp base set by Zephyris)

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

V453000 :)
President
President

Re: zBase (32bpp base set by Zephyris)

Post by V453000 :) »

And exactly that I think needs to be stressed somewhere, perhaps like the first post of this thread.

If I look at OpenGFX, I wouldnt dare to change things there, because my way would usually be massively different (ttd style based) and it would probably break many things at start and would thus require a lot more effort to change at least one "part" which would fit together.

The exact thing I think applies to another big project like zbase, while I am quite confindent that someone does consider contributing, perhaps his idea is a bit too different.

So I think any stressing of "people, dont be afraid to contribute" could help in that regard. While you indeed do start the closed cycle of a massive project in making at least something, I myself am not sure how to get the improved quality for the future versions, perhaps through contributions, I dont know, that is up to you to consider :)

As for me personally, I am a stubborn pixel person so no blenders here :P

V
ImageImageImage
Johnnyas
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Johnnyas »

Hi! Long time lurker, coming out of the shadows to give my appreciations to Zephyris for zBase. Just converted my network to maglev in my first zBase game, and I must say I'd find it hard to go back. I usually play at the normal magnification, but use the zoom levels both for the extra eye candy, and for troubleshooting any complex stations/crossings/whatevers. This is especially handy when playing late at night, with the one eyed open, one eyed closed-technique.

There are a few gliches, like when you see a bit of the train through the tunnel entrance roof, but nothing more annoying than that.

In an attempt to actually help with something like this, I cloned the repo and tried Blender for the first time. It's been 15 years (or so) since I last did anything in 3D modelling, so right now I'm at the blender-tutorial-stage, and I'm not so sure I'll actually be able to contribute - but we'll see.

Anyways, :bow: to Zephyris (and :bow: to anybody working with OpenTTD really, it's awesome stuff).
Lord_Silver
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Lord_Silver »

Zephyris you have done a great job here. But it has some little problems, if you can fix them. First of all is the tunnel problem, because the buses are too big and you see a "glitch" and I think this problem it's available on the trains, too. I understand why you made the buses bigger, but if you can't fix this another way, I think you should make them a little smaller.
1. The problem from bus_problem.jpg I think it's the same, it's because the bus is to big.
bus_problem.jpg
bus_problem.jpg (82.03 KiB) Viewed 9107 times
2. I don't know if this is a bug (bug1.jpg), but in my opinion it should look smooth there.
bug1.jpg
bug1.jpg (215.3 KiB) Viewed 1397 times
3. You should change that margins from water.jpg to look more like the original game, it looks weird like this.
water.jpg
water.jpg (98.09 KiB) Viewed 9107 times
4. There is a "fence problem":
http://oi55.tinypic.com/k037lw.jpg
5. I would like to see water animated like in original game, but with better graphics on it.

These were my thoughts, I think if you can resolve them this zBase pack would be really great! Thank you for doing a great job!
maquinista
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by maquinista »

Lord_Silver wrote:Zephyris you have done a great job here. But it has some little problems, if you can fix them. First of all is the tunnel problem, because the buses are too big and you see a "glitch" and I think this problem it's available on the trains, too. I understand why you made the buses bigger, but if you can't fix this another way, I think you should make them a little smaller.
1. The problem from bus_problem.jpg I think it's the same, it's because the bus is to big.
bus_problem.jpg
2. I don't know if this is a bug (bug1.jpg), but in my opinion it should look smooth there.
bug1.jpg
3. You should change that margins from water.jpg to look more like the original game, it looks weird like this.
water.jpg
4. There is a "fence problem":
http://oi55.tinypic.com/k037lw.jpg
5. I would like to see water animated like in original game, but with better graphics on it.

These were my thoughts, I think if you can resolve them this zBase pack would be really great! Thank you for doing a great job!
4 --> This is a problem of fences offset. It's not possible to fix it with new graphics.
2 --> The sprite could be modified in the future. Zbase is on its' firsts stages of development.
1 --> It's a problem of the bridges of OpenTTD, which doesn't allow two different sprites (foreground and background) at the entrance of a bridge. A new bridge code is a typical request, but Its not easy to solve this.
Sorry if my english is too poor, I want learn it, but it isn't too easy.[/list][/size]
relu19
Engineer
Engineer

Post by relu19 »

Hi, can I include in zBase any of the contents from here? http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php? ... &start=860
there are some nice trains and cars.
thanks.

I don't know who created the zBase but it's great, thank you so much.
Lord Aro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Lord Aro »

Not without doing significant work yourself - it's part of a different graphics set
AroAI - A really feeble attempt at an AI

It is practically impossible to teach good programming to students that have had a prior exposure to BASIC: as potential programmers they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration. --Edsger Dijkstra
sherby
Engineer
Engineer

Post by sherby »

I'm glad i downloaded this, the extra detail is big improvement over the default.
FLHerne
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FLHerne »

relu19 wrote:I don't know who created the zBase but it's great, thank you so much.
It's actually in the title of the topic, which would have been visible above and slightly to the left of the area you were typing in when you wrote that post... :wink:

Oh, and the third and fourth lines in the first post :P
Temporary Permanent signature filling text. Content coming soon delayed indefinitely! Oh, and I have had a screenshot thread.
Linux user (XMonad DWM/KDE, Arch), IRC obsessive and rail enthusiast. No longer building robots; now I ring church bells.
Author of an incredibly boring stickied post about NewGRFs.
relu19
Engineer
Engineer

Post by relu19 »

it's a figure of speech, but thanks anyway you opened my eyes :)
TehPlaneFreak
Engineer
Engineer

Post by TehPlaneFreak »

Neat!

Is this project still alive?
TehPlaneFreak!
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

It's "alive", but not very actively... Updates are easy but none are really planned!
Fanda666
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Fanda666 »

Zephyris wrote:It's "alive", but not very actively... Updates are easy but none are really planned!
It's great! Better slowly than stop. :D
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

It was designed to be future proof so it's unlikely to stop :)
S1lv3rc4tch
Engineer
Engineer

Post by S1lv3rc4tch »

Hi, I'm new around here. I'm not sure if this is still going, but I just wanted to say that I cannot download the set. The link takes me to a page saying I have no access or something. :/
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

S1lv3rc4tch wrote:Hi, I'm new around here. I'm not sure if this is still going, but I just wanted to say that I cannot download the set. The link takes me to a page saying I have no access or something. :/
Link fixed: http://bundles.openttdcoop.org/zbuild/push/LATEST/ (you only want the zip file)
skelmins
Engineer
Engineer

Post by skelmins »

Is the server a bit bogged down, because I've been having trouble connecting to openttdcoop.org for a few days now. Tried a couple of computers and a few browsers, but they all say they are unable to connect due to the server not responding. I don't think it's my internet... If it is me, is there another link to download this from?
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

I reached it without issue. Most likely it's an issue with one of the routers or networks between your Internet provider and where the server is located. Running a traceroute command from your computer could reveal where the issue is.

I'm sort of surprised that this hasn't been added to BaNaNaS yet.
Supercheese
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Supercheese »

kamnet wrote:I'm sort of surprised that this hasn't been added to BaNaNaS yet.
It hasn't? :wink:
Attachments
zBase bananas.png
zBase bananas.png (23.28 KiB) Viewed 5516 times
Eyecandy Road Vehicles | Fake Subways | Supercheese's NewObjects

"Fashions and cultures change, but steam trains shall always be majestic."
-Professor Hershel Layton
WWTBAM

Post by WWTBAM »

Formerly known as r0b0t_b0y2003, robotboy, roboboy and beclawat. The best place to get the most recent nightly builds of TTDPatch is: http://roboboy.users.tt-forums.net/TTDPatch/nightlies/

Return to “Graphics Development”