zBase (32bpp base set by Zephyris)

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

skelmins
Engineer
Engineer

Re: zBase (32bpp base set by Zephyris)

Post by skelmins »

Cheers guys, it's now loading for me, must have been my ISP (who shall remain nameless but often have little moments like this). All downloaded and working perfectly :)
gravitystorm
Engineer
Engineer

Post by gravitystorm »

I've been having a play with zBase and have managed to set up the whole toolchain (with zbasebuild) to build my own .grf

The only problem I'm having is with rendering from Blender. If I open towns/temperate/1501-1506.blend with Blender (v2.68a) and press CTRL+F12, it renders all the png files. But the problem is that they all come out as 256x512 images. The 64_XXXX.png images do have small houses in them, but they need to be in a 64x128 pixel file to match what's in the repository already. So the scaling of the rendering works fine, it's just the end size of the images that's the problem.

Has anyone else ran into this and had the same problem? Is there a setting in Blender that needs changing, or a post-processing script to run to trim the png files to the right size? Any suggestions appreciated!
nordemoniac
Engineer
Engineer

Post by nordemoniac »

I just reinstalled OTTD and the latest zBase. It looks great! Excellent job!

However, I don't like the new GUI... It just doesn't look good. Also, it's still hard to read station names and especially the updates at the bottom.
Are there any other GUIs I could use instead?
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

nordemoniac wrote:I just reinstalled OTTD and the latest zBase. It looks great! Excellent job!

However, I don't like the new GUI... It just doesn't look good. Also, it's still hard to read station names and especially the updates at the bottom.
Are there any other GUIs I could use instead?
You could give OpenGFX+BigGUI a shot for slightly different UI where you can select size (1x, 1.5x, 2x).

Text size isn't touched by base sets. But you can select fonts and font sizes of your choice in your openttd.cfg.
http://wiki.openttd.org/FAQ_troubleshoo ... _or_faulty
nordemoniac
Engineer
Engineer

Post by nordemoniac »

Thanks!
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

gravitystorm wrote:Has anyone else ran into this and had the same problem? Is there a setting in Blender that needs changing, or a post-processing script to run to trim the png files to the right size? Any suggestions appreciated!
Yes: This was a change in behaviour of the scale image node in blender compositing (which is a real pain!). If you use an older version of blender (I believe any older than 2.64 IIRC) then it should work as expected...
Glynbd
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Glynbd »

Hi Zephyris.

Just joined the forums to say a massive Thank-you for the Zbase graphics set.

I have been playing TTD since about 1996/7 When i was a kid and now i play OpenTTD, I think this pack will be the start of even greater things and many new players.
I really do think this is the best thing to happen to Transport Tycoon since OpenTTD came out.

Keep up the good work, sorry i can't help as i can't code! But if you ever need any help with drawing i would be happy to try (tho i have never used blender)
I hope some of the new industry sets/new transport mode mod'ers can provide some add ons to this graphics set in future.

So again.

Thanks!
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

Glynbd wrote: Keep up the good work, sorry i cant help as i cant code! But if you ever need any help with drawing i would be happy to try (tho i have never used blender
I hope some of the new industry sets/new transport mode mod'ers can provide some add ons to this graphics set in future.[/color]
Oh, you can help. Coding is the least of the work required to improve on existing graphics and keeping it updated. Or for instance you could get started on 32bpp graphics for those NewGRFs which you'd like to see support 32bpp in this style ;)
Glynbd
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Glynbd »

I would love to help out the OpenTTD community, I draw and paint a lot in the real world and i have made 100's of 2d and 3d computer generated buildings/items for friends projects.

Any ideas where to start or who to talk to?

I would love to see some new trains (post 2050) like a future set to keep each game going longer, also the FIRS set would be great with Zbase style graphics.
Is there anyone working on a futuristic transport set? or newer style buildings post 2000/2010?

I also have a lot of free time right now due to recently being put in the dole que (temporary i hope).
pete1061
Engineer
Engineer

Post by pete1061 »

The download link isn't working.
I get a "403, access forbidden" error.
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

pete1061 wrote:The download link isn't working.
I get a "403, access forbidden" error.
Thank you, I fixed permissions, it should be available again at http://bundles.openttdcoop.org/zbuild/push/LATEST/
Much more conveniently for you: currently you can obtain the same version via ingame content download, though :)
MJP
Engineer
Engineer

Post by MJP »

To begin with, I must say that I like this baseset very much.
The clarity it brings to the game is just awesome.
Zephyris wrote:Why are you ignoring my suggestions?
- My aim is to make a functional base set, not to make perfect graphics (that comes later!). In general I will only pay attention to technical suggestions.
- Please don't be offended if I ignore your suggestions for a sprite, there are thousands to make and getting a complete set is the main priority.
Acknowledged. I won't expect any feedback or anything. I'm only sharing an idea.

There is one thing that constantly annoys me: there is no SPR_WINDOW_DEFSIZE.

It is replaced by something too big:
no_defsize.png
no_defsize.png (10.21 KiB) Viewed 6345 times
So I've made an icon (3 sizes of a box: big and small with dots + 1 solid representing the default):
with_defsize.png
with_defsize.png (14.87 KiB) Viewed 6345 times
Attachments
defwinsz.png
defwinsz.png (907 Bytes) Viewed 6345 times
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

MJP wrote:To begin with, I must say that I like this baseset very much.
The clarity it brings to the game is just awesome.
Zephyris wrote:Why are you ignoring my suggestions?
- My aim is to make a functional base set, not to make perfect graphics (that comes later!). In general I will only pay attention to technical suggestions.
- Please don't be offended if I ignore your suggestions for a sprite, there are thousands to make and getting a complete set is the main priority.
Acknowledged. I won't expect any feedback or anything. I'm only sharing an idea.

There is one thing that constantly annoys me: there is no SPR_WINDOW_DEFSIZE.

It is replaced by something too big:
no_defsize.png
So I've made an icon (3 sizes of a box: big and small with dots + 1 solid representing the default):
with_defsize.png
While the current version of zBase meanwhile has a sprite definition for this mentioned sprite, I actually do like your icon more than the one being used now (and inherited from OpenGFX). Thus with your permission I'll merge that into OpenGFX, thus zBase will inherit that as well :)
MJP
Engineer
Engineer

Post by MJP »

planetmaker wrote:I actually do like your icon more than the one being used now (and inherited from OpenGFX). Thus with your permission I'll merge that into OpenGFX, thus zBase will inherit that as well :)
Thanks! :) I give you permission to use my icon.
intxthorn
Engineer
Engineer

WOW : Truly epic job

Post by intxthorn »

Wow, absolutely STUNNED !!! to return to a game I played as a child, to find such an active community of modders. The quality of OpenTTD, and especially the work on zBase is extraordinary... I would also like to congratulate all those who worked on the extra zoom sets, it seems such a shame that they have been left behind by the recent versions of OpenTTD, though after scouring the forums and everything OpenTTD I see the difficulties that caused there demise. I really do hope as much of that can be saved and added to zBase as possible.

My thanks go to all those involved especially on zBase, for providing the platform for my 9 year old son to play and enjoy a game I always held so dear. Transport tycoon was always special but the excellent work of people involved in the OpenTTD project have made it timeless. I'm hooked again and my son cant stop talking about it. Truly Epic. To all those involved in zBase, keep up the good work, you have made the game look unbelievably good. I look forward to the further development of this project in the future, a future where both myself and my son will still be playing Transport Tycoon!

Many Thanks,

[Int.X]ThOrn

EPiC
FreeZeee
Engineer
Engineer

Post by FreeZeee »

Hi, can i somewhere disable that BigGUI? I'm playing OpenTTD on my phone, so i tested zBase but with BigGui is gameplay uncomfortable :/

(Sorry for my English)

@SGS2
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

IIRC, go into the NewGRF Settings menu from the main menu and remove it from there. You can re-add it later if you wish.

(at least, I'm hoping it's just the NewGRF and wasn't hard coded there. Otherwise, you might be out of luck.)

(also, this has nothing to do with zBase. You should have posted this to the development thread for that version of OpenTTD).
FreeZeee
Engineer
Engineer

Post by FreeZeee »

It seems it's hard included in baseset :/
But large is only upper bar, windows are normal.

@Kalkulačka
juzza1
Engineer
Engineer

Post by juzza1 »

If I understood you correctly: You want to reduce the size of the 2x sized GUI icons (not to be confused with the NewGRF "OpenGFX BigGUI") included with zBase to that of the original. If so, there is no simple way to do this, because as you said, the GUI is hard coded into zBase, and base sets do not support parameters. The easiest way to achieve something similar to this is to use OpenGFX BigGUI with zBase and, and set its size to 1.5x from the NewGRF parameters. 1x scaling uses the default graphics defined by the current base set, which means you will still get the 2x sized GUI of zBase. This behaviour isn't really what you would expect, and as such, it's marked as an issue at the OpenGFX BigGUI devzone (http://dev.openttdcoop.org/issues/3599).

Return to “Graphics Development”