Custom traintunnel entrances, exits and extra's. V0.3

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Quast65
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Custom traintunnel entrances, exits and extra's. V0.2

Post by Quast65 »

That's because I didn't make that railtype ;-) But indeed, it is handy to include that information.
I've edited my post , so you can find more information about those. That GRF can also be found on bananas (I believe it's called Metro track set 2)
Projects: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=57266
Screenshots: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=56959
Scenario of The Netherlands: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=87604

Winner of the following screenshot competitions:
sep 2012, jan 2013, apr 2013, aug 2013, mar 2014, mar 2016, oct 2020
All my work is released under GPL-license (either V2 or V3), if not clearly stated otherwise.
lawton27
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Custom traintunnel entrances, exits and extra's. V0.2

Post by lawton27 »

Ahah, silly me I tried the metro tracks set but didn't realise I needed the underground rail types for those entrances.

Still, I'm having problems getting those into my game along-side other track sets a nice feature might be a parameter to the station tiles grf to replace the default tunnel sprite with a compatible one :) .
Quast65
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Custom traintunnel entrances, exits and extra's. V0.3

Post by Quast65 »

I want all of my projects to be under the GPLv2 licence, therefor I have relaunched this GRF with the appropriate licence and readme in a .ZIP and have also provided the .PCX and .NFO.

So no new features in the GRF ;-)
Customtunnel_v0_3.zip
(34.86 KiB) Downloaded 482 times
customtunnel_v0_3.pcx
(135.99 KiB) Downloaded 282 times
customtunnel_v0_3.nfo
(18.79 KiB) Downloaded 178 times
It is strongly recommended to use this GRF with the new metrotrack that Foobar has developed as that has railtypes with tunnels where these entrances and exits can be fitted right next to. That GRF has parameters so that normal trains can also drive over those tracks. Here is more information about Foobars metrotracks: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=49404

All my work is released under GPL-license (either V2 or V3), if not clearly stated otherwise.
SwissFan91
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SwissFan91 »

I come bearing an idea!

I have been thinking about the best way to create these avalanche galleries and they seem to be fairly closely linked to this idea of custom tunnels. Instead of me babbling on, I'll use some mock-ups!

First we have the blank landscape...
Avalanche gallery blank.png (7.29 KiB) Viewed 4602 times
...next we place some blank tile objects along the ridge...
Avalanche gallery foundations.png (7.15 KiB) Viewed 4602 times
...and then we use a custom tunnel head similar to yours here along with some overlapping objects to create the gallery.
Avalanche gallery all in.png (6.85 KiB) Viewed 4602 times
Obviously these are just mock-up graphics and I will happily make them look a lot nicer. Also, I appreciate there may be some graphical glitching with the use of overlapping objects (especially when a train travels through).

Is this something that you would be interested in investigating further? I don't envisage it needing *too* many sprites to be drawn/coded for it to work. Also, people can always just stop at image 2 and have their trains running through a 'cutting' in the landscape.

Thanks
Total Alpine Replacement Set: Industry, Town, Objects
Quast65
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Quast65 »

I don't think it will be that difficult to create, I think you'll need this to replicate it:

- A custom railtype to get a full tile flat entrance for the actual tunnel (but that can be done by using the already existing Metro Track GRF)
- A flat full tile Object-tile (to be placed on the slope above the rail), preferably snow-aware, but I'm not sure that is possible.... Otherwise provide tiles with or without snow (and trees or whatever) Thinking about it, these could already be in the updated VAST-objects GRF...
- A station (or waypoint) tile with the gallery-side and avalanche wall graphics. Also snow-aware. As this is a full tile, you can then make the gallery as long as you like.
- A sloped object tile, to be placed next to the actual tunnel entrance (on the other side of the tunnelentrance, so in your example on the right side of it) with the overlapping graphics (the side of the tunnel entrance, that matches the gallery sides and the overlap with the avalanche wall graphics). Also, if possible, snow-aware

And I think that should do the trick ;-)

As I think that the first two things are already available, you would only need to draw graphics for the station/waypoint and the objecttile that overlaps the actual tunnelentrance. So not too much work, however.... Snow-awareness is something I have never done and I'm not really interested in investigating that coding-part. Therefor I think it is better to implicate these new graphics straight into your own Alpine-GRF, I think they are better suited in that GRF.

Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

EmptyGRF has some empty tiles, but they're only either "full snow" or "no snow", none of the in-between states. =)

Either way it seems like a good idea to me. Even without the tunnel entrance you could have galleries don't start/end in tunnels, plenty of them around irl as far as I know ;)
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

it's probably easiest to be coded as a station/waypoint, which makes it compatible with all railtypes and more. (e.g. you can suppress drawing the catenary to prevent glitches)

possibly have some overlapping tiles to have signals or tunnel entrances. only thing you can't have is diagonal rail
SwissFan91
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SwissFan91 »

Pyoro wrote:EmptyGRF has some empty tiles...
Where is this EmptyGRF you speak of? My searches for those types of keywords tend to bring up masses of results!

EDIT - one other question:

I have tweaked a few things and come up with this mixture of GRFs:
Trunberg Bay Transport, 28th Apr 2022.png
(123.92 KiB) Downloaded 1 time
Now, I know that this set is designed to be used with the Metro Track Set (MTS) so that you can have tunnel entrances that would make my screenshot look better. I have loaded the MTS but unfortunately the Finescale GRF is taking up the four slots (also shown in the screenshot) so I do not have the opportunity to use the MTS tunnel entrances. Is there any way around this? Can I somehow get 6 different railtypes to show up? I played around with loading NuTracks as well but that opened a whole new can of worms!

Thanks
YNM
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by YNM »

Move the metro trackset up, so it's loaded before the finescale tracks ?

Also, I thought only Underground Tracks railtype provided by the Metro Tracks would be featuring the modified tunnel enterance ?

EDIT : Empty Tile GRF is a GRF by Pyoro, so just look up his past posts. :mrgreen:
YNM = yoursNotMine - Don't get it ?
「ヨーッスノットマイン」もと申します。
SwissFan91
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SwissFan91 »

That Empty Tile GRF looks really useful. Thanks all.
YNM wrote:Move the metro trackset up, so it's loaded before the finescale tracks ?
Unfortunately not:
Unnamed, 1st Jan 2020.png
(169.41 KiB) Downloaded 1 time
YNM wrote:Also, I thought only Underground Tracks railtype provided by the Metro Tracks would be featuring the modified tunnel enterance ?
Indeed - hence the bottom two parameters are set to on. If I was to remove the finescale tracks altogether, it would work perfectly like this:
Unnamed, 1st Jan 2020#1.png
(141.76 KiB) Downloaded 1 time
So perhaps this suggests that the finescale GRF does not enjoy working alongside other track sets?
SwissFan91
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SwissFan91 »

Interestingly, when I remove the UK train set:
Pindingsay Transport, 3rd Feb 2020.png
(129.38 KiB) Downloaded 1 time
they work together better, although I lose the finelscale third rail and dual railtype.

As this is no longer a bug with the Custom traintunnel entrances perhaps I will go and bug the finescale thread :P
Gremnon
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Gremnon »

The problem might be that Metro and Finescale's Third Rail are... the same railtype. Because, y'know, they both add and use the third rail, even if it looks different on them. Any train that will run on Metro tracks will also run on Finescale 3rd and Dual power rails, and any UKRS2 engine that has 'third rail' as its power option will use Metro tracks.

Return to “Graphics Development”