Template F middle contrast.zip what are the files for?

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

viktoria.s
Engineer
Engineer

Template F middle contrast.zip what are the files for?

Post by viktoria.s »

Hi,

I was thinking about creating some 32bpp graphics for openttd. I just read the 32bit Graphics Documentation: Standards and Suggestions for Artists article and it suggested to download version F, the new contrast version (Template F middle contrast.zip). So I did it. But I haven't found a clue what are the files in the zip are for.
So can somebody describe to me what are
F 12,5.blend
F 12,5 high.blend
F 12,5x25.blend
F 12,5x25 high.blend
F 25x25.blend
F 37,5x37,5.blend
for and what is the difference between those? And which one should I use if I want to create a simple little house and which one is for tall offices or apartments?

Thanks in advance.
hgnmu128
Engineer
Engineer

Re: Template F middle contrast.zip what are the files for?

Post by hgnmu128 »

These files are pre-made templates in Blender (a 3D modeling program, if you didn't already know) for different tile sizes and realistic TTD-style lightning, so that all you have to do is model what you need and put on the tile and render the model as an image. These files are based on Aracirion's Official lightning setup.blend.

For more info visit these sites:

http://www.blender.org/ - Blender official web site
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Blender_3D:_Noob_to_Pro - Excellent WikiBooks Tutorial on modeling in Blender
http://wiki.openttd.org/How_to_Create_3 ... Extra_Zoom - OpenTTD Wiki article on How to create 32bpp gfx in Blender

As for the normal .blend and high .blend files, I'm unsure. I think both of them will do, and here is a comparative render.

Good luck.
viktoria.s
Engineer
Engineer

Post by viktoria.s »

hgnmu128 wrote: http://wiki.openttd.org/How_to_Create_3 ... Extra_Zoom - OpenTTD Wiki article on How to create 32bpp gfx in Blender
Thanks. I have read the tutorial. And I have started with the F 12,5.blend file. I have created a house which stands on a 12.5x12.5 plane. And after I have rendered the image saved it and autocropped it with gimp (as the way the tutorial said) I have ended with an image 258 pixel wide instead of 256 pixel wide. The tutorial said it should be 256 pixel wide. I don't know what can be the problem. Maybe the ground on which the house is standing should be smaller? By the way I am using Blender 2.57b maybe some extra setting is required for that? Any ideas?
hgnmu128 wrote: Good luck.
Thanks. :D I need that. :D
hgnmu128
Engineer
Engineer

Post by hgnmu128 »

After what you found, I followed the tutorial (that I recommended, :|) using Blender and Photoshop (using Trim instead of Autocrop) on Windows and Blender and GIMP on FreeBSD, and I seem to be getting exactly the same problem. Plus I don't think it is the problem of 2.57b, I tried with 2.48, 2.49, 2.49a, 2.49b etc. and I still ended up with the rendered image being 258px wide. I thought that scaling the rendered image from 258x169 (say) to 256x168 shouldn't be the option, because it will remove some details and make the image look a bit slurry afterwards. The only other way I could think about it is to rescale the tile like you said. Some quick math input in Blender made the tile's DimX = 12.403 and DimY = 12.403 ((256*12.5)/258 = 12.403). And I changed both X and Y for symmetry reasons. Now the rendered image is 256 pixels wide and works fine in OTTD.

If you are encountering problems again, create a new thread specifying the problems on this subforum. This is not exactly a very active thread, and 32bpp gfx development has declined in it's path to fulfillment, but anyways...
Lord Aro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Lord Aro »

It's exam time. Everyone is busy ;)
I find most extra-zoom work happens july-september. The project is still progressing, albeit very slowly atm
As for the files, if they do need changing, by all means changd them, but i would wait until a 'proper' artist like maquinista or Ben_Robbins_ to confirm your fix
AroAI - A really feeble attempt at an AI

It is practically impossible to teach good programming to students that have had a prior exposure to BASIC: as potential programmers they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration. --Edsger Dijkstra
hgnmu128
Engineer
Engineer

Post by hgnmu128 »

I changed my *personal* copy. That's all. Didn't expect myself to publish it anyway. And I thought people like Ben_ and maquinista have been offline for a long time now. :|

Return to “Graphics Development”