WSF Ferry Set [WIP]

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Digitals
Engineer
Engineer

Re: WSF Ferry Set [WIP]

Post by Digitals »

Good work on ferries, and for the submarine, if you're really motivated, and you like challenges, you could try to do the great transatlantic, not necessarily to their actual size, but even if there are a certain scale is already well ...

It would be nice to see transatlantic as Normandy, the Titanic ...

I think you are able to do that,like the ferrie with two chimneys, is really great ! :)
Quast65 wrote:The ferries are great!

And the sub is really fun! Can finally build the Den Helder Sub base in my Dutch games ;-) Is it possible however to have different graphics when it moves through rivers? It would be cool if it is half submerged in rivers and not fully submerged as rivers are not as deep as oceans.

Frigates, minesweepers and battleships would be nice too....
Warships? I wonder how that can be used to ... or you have an idea in mind. :P
Last edited by Digitals on 03 Jul 2012 15:07, edited 1 time in total.

Sorry for the inconsistencies of my messages,but im French
Quast65
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Quast65 »

Warships? I wonder how that can be used to ... or you have an idea in mind
They sure won't be useful (not to earn money with), but would be very nice eyecandy things. There are already a couple of fighterjets and military helicopters and there is a troopcarrier, so why not warships ;-)
Projects: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=57266
Screenshots: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=56959
Scenario of The Netherlands: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=87604

Winner of the following screenshot competitions:
sep 2012, jan 2013, apr 2013, aug 2013, mar 2014, mar 2016, oct 2020
All my work is released under GPL-license (either V2 or V3), if not clearly stated otherwise.
Digitals
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Digitals »

I thought these warships would be useful to destabilize.
the competitor by sinking their ships :lol: , but it would be a war game (Battleships).

Sorry for the inconsistencies of my messages,but im French
Andrew350
Chairman
Chairman

Post by Andrew350 »

Thanks everyone for the feedback! :) Let me break this down:
FLHerne wrote:Awesome :bow: Does it submerge when moving/loaded? That would be even more awesome... :P
Yes it does, it stays submerged with only the tower/bridge/whatever-it-is sticking out of the water, and only surfaces for loading.
Quast65 wrote: Is it possible however to have different graphics when it moves through rivers? It would be cool if it is half submerged in rivers and not fully submerged as rivers are not as deep as oceans.
Should be possible, yes. However, I've set the speed on canals/rivers to be very slow, since it isn't really a practical river boat :lol: It would also look weird that it can travel up a lock submerged, but then pop up on the canal (unless there's a way to check for locks as well?). I'll have to think about this one. :)
ISA wrote:I would make the submarine bit more in water... if You understand what I mean. At the moment the submarine lower side is dark in / view that means its lower roundish shape is seen, but normally it isn't so (see picture). I would leave the end as is but make it bit taller and lower it into water two or 3 pixels or recolor so that it looks like on the picture.
Yes, I guess it can look like it's sitting on top of the water in some views, but it actually isn't drawn that way. I don't know what you mean by making the end taller, though. Do you mean front or back?. Right now the sub is meant to be about 50% in the water, so not the whole tail fin area is exposed. As for the rest, getting a cylindrical shape (or half cylinder, I guess) to look right is somewhat difficult, and I didn't want the sub to be too bright, so I used some darker colors near the water line to accentuate the curve. Keep in mind the 'sun' is coming from up high, and I need a little contrast for shaping (otherwise it will look flat). I might touch up spots in a couple of views (like the one in the screenshot, now that I look at it), but I think mostly it is fine. More input on this would be helpful though :)
Digitals wrote:Good work on ferries, and for the submarine, if you're really motivated, and you like challenges, you could try to do the great transatlantic, not necessarily to their actual size, but even if there are a certain scale is already well ...

It would be nice to see transatlantic as Normandy, the Titanic ...
That would certainly be a challenge, but sounds like something for another project. I've thought about broadening the scope of this set a little bit to include things like maybe a couple of cruise ships or a coastguard ship, but that's as far as I would take it ;) At some point this GRF will probably become "Ships of Puget Sound" rather than just "WSF Ferry Set", especially since I've already gone outside the bounds of its namesake :lol: That said though, I'm going to try to focus on ferries first before I wander off again on something random ;) Hopefully next I'll work on something 1800's, either that or try the Kalakala again.

Same goes for the warships, not really my thing, plus it sounds like a whole other game ;) Maybe someone needs to make a 'unique ship set'?
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

Andrew350 wrote:Should be possible, yes. However, I've set the speed on canals/rivers to be very slow, since it isn't really a practical river boat :lol: It would also look weird that it can travel up a lock submerged, but then pop up on the canal (unless there's a way to check for locks as well?). I'll have to think about this one. :)
locks should be reported as canals. otherwise it's probably a bug.
Andrew350
Chairman
Chairman

Post by Andrew350 »

I just double checked to make sure, and I was mistaken. The visible part of the submarine is set slightly ahead of the center of the bounding box, giving the impression that it made it up the lock without changing speed, when it hadn't. So, that's all working fine. :)

That does mean I'd have to redo the offsets to make sure it doesn't look weird though. I'll make a note of it, just in case. :wink:
ISA
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by ISA »

Andrew350 wrote:
ISA wrote:I would make the submarine bit more in water... if You understand what I mean. At the moment the submarine lower side is dark in / view that means its lower roundish shape is seen, but normally it isn't so (see picture). I would leave the end as is but make it bit taller and lower it into water two or 3 pixels or recolor so that it looks like on the picture.
Yes, I guess it can look like it's sitting on top of the water in some views, but it actually isn't drawn that way. I don't know what you mean by making the end taller, though. Do you mean front or back?. Right now the sub is meant to be about 50% in the water, so not the whole tail fin area is exposed. As for the rest, getting a cylindrical shape (or half cylinder, I guess) to look right is somewhat difficult, and I didn't want the sub to be too bright, so I used some darker colors near the water line to accentuate the curve. Keep in mind the 'sun' is coming from up high, and I need a little contrast for shaping (otherwise it will look flat). I might touch up spots in a couple of views (like the one in the screenshot, now that I look at it), but I think mostly it is fine. More input on this would be helpful though :)
You understand me correctly and You don't have to make nothing I just pointed out how it felt for me :) I would help You out but atm I don't have the time to do it. All my own drawings and ideas are on hold for the future...
Andrew350
Chairman
Chairman

Post by Andrew350 »

Small update. While working at a place the other day, I had a good view of the ferry terminal and was able to watch some ferries go by. Ever since I drew up my second ship, the Rhododendron, I've been somewhat dissatisfied with how my first one turned out. After watching the ferries for a while, it was painfully obvious my drawing looks nothing like the real thing, and it inspired me to try again. So, I've redrawn the Jumbo Mark II from scratch, and this time I think it actually looks like the ship it's supposed to be :lol: . What do you think?
oldvsnewmarkii.png
oldvsnewmarkii.png (21.39 KiB) Viewed 5091 times
It is a little smaller than the first try too, so hopefully it's scaled a bit better for the game.

The other thing I did was switch everything to use the first company color instead of 2cc, something which I probably should've done from the start, but just didn't feel like changing until now. I also took the chance to darken the company color on all ships by just a shade, since I felt they were a tad too bright. Very minor and pretty unimportant, but thought I'd mention it.

And finally, a question for someone with knowledge:
Quast65 wrote:Is it possible however to have different graphics when it moves through rivers? It would be cool if it is half submerged in rivers and not fully submerged as rivers are not as deep as oceans.
I looked through the NML documentation to try and do this, but it doesn't look like there's any callback to check the type of water tile a ship is on. Obviously they can check that to change speed, but how would one change the graphics depending on the tile type? Did I just overlook something simple, or is it even possible?

Here's the grf with the new Mark II:
Attachments
wsfferryset.grf
(31.34 KiB) Downloaded 232 times
wsfferryset 11-17-2012.zip
(61.05 KiB) Downloaded 198 times
Supercheese
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Supercheese »

I'm not sure if this would work, as I've not tried it, but you could set a different speed for rivers vs. ocean and then check the variable current_max_speed to see if it returns the river speed or the ocean speed. That might tell you whether the vehicle is currently on a river or not, for a graphics switch.
Eyecandy Road Vehicles | Fake Subways | Supercheese's NewObjects

"Fashions and cultures change, but steam trains shall always be majestic."
-Professor Hershel Layton
Andrew350
Chairman
Chairman

Post by Andrew350 »

Yeah, that's the only way I could figure myself, but that's only available in nightlies, so not something I really want to do yet (if it would even work). Hopefully there's another way, otherwise it'll have to wait until 1.3.

EDIT: I just tested the above idea, and after a little messing around with it, it does work. However, like I said, it would be nice if there was another way.
Quast65
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Quast65 »

I must say that I like both versions, is the first version also still included?

All my work is released under GPL-license (either V2 or V3), if not clearly stated otherwise.
Andrew350
Chairman
Chairman

Post by Andrew350 »

No, I've left it out for now. I'll probably make some adjustments to it and add it as a different ferry, like a super class or something. If you still want to use it in the mean time though, it is included in FISH 2 (with different stats of course, but looks the same). :)
Andrew350
Chairman
Chairman

Post by Andrew350 »

It's been awhile, so here's a little update to show some progress. I've drawn a new ship, the S.S. Beaver, available from about 1836. This will be the earliest vehicle in the set. Here's a little preview:
beaverpreview.png
beaverpreview.png (11.72 KiB) Viewed 4704 times
I should be posting an update of the grf soon :)
SquireJames
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SquireJames »

Nice beaver :wink:
Quast65
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Quast65 »

SquireJames wrote:Nice beaver :wink:
Is it full of seamen?
dr-evil.jpg
dr-evil.jpg (11.69 KiB) Viewed 4654 times
Guess we have had all the jokes now ;-)

Nice ship!

Andrew350
Chairman
Chairman

Post by Andrew350 »

Finally, I have the update ready that I mentioned 2 months ago :roll:
currentfleet.png
currentfleet.png (24.13 KiB) Viewed 4446 times
Changes include:

- The addition of the Beaver, available from 1836, refittable to all cargoes
- Moving sprites added for all ships (as shown in the screenshot), along with fixed (static) gui sprites
- The graphics for the Jumbo Mk II, Rhododendron, and Tacoma ships have been slightly adjusted in a couple views
- Multiple changes to the submarine, including changes to stats, fixed gui sprites, and it will now surface when travelling through rivers or canals if using OpenTTD 1.3.0 (r24246) or greater (in earlier versions it will stay submerged)
- Speed in canals for the submarine and Jumbo Mk II increased to 15mph, I felt it was too slow before. Other ships don't change speed in canals.

I'm hoping the Beaver (and eventually a few other early ships) will help fill in some of the gaps between Sailing Ships and FISH to keep things interesting in the mid-1800's by adding some variety. I just took a wild swing at the stats though, so I'm not sure how balanced or favorable it will be compared to other ships available at that time. Feedback in that area would be nice, if someone happens to play a game with these sets in that era. That will also help determine stats for other future ships :)
Attachments
wsfferryset.grf
(77.52 KiB) Downloaded 225 times
wsfferryset 5-12-2013.zip
(189.5 KiB) Downloaded 202 times
STD
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by STD »

Andrew350 wrote:Finally, I have the update ready that I mentioned 2 months ago :roll:
currentfleet.png
Changes include:

- The addition of the Beaver, available from 1836, refittable to all cargoes
- Moving sprites added for all ships (as shown in the screenshot), along with fixed (static) gui sprites
- The graphics for the Jumbo Mk II, Rhododendron, and Tacoma ships have been slightly adjusted in a couple views
- Multiple changes to the submarine, including changes to stats, fixed gui sprites, and it will now surface when travelling through rivers or canals if using OpenTTD 1.3.0 (r24246) or greater (in earlier versions it will stay submerged)
- Speed in canals for the submarine and Jumbo Mk II increased to 15mph, I felt it was too slow before. Other ships don't change speed in canals.

I'm hoping the Beaver (and eventually a few other early ships) will help fill in some of the gaps between Sailing Ships and FISH to keep things interesting in the mid-1800's by adding some variety. I just took a wild swing at the stats though, so I'm not sure how balanced or favorable it will be compared to other ships available at that time. Feedback in that area would be nice, if someone happens to play a game with these sets in that era. That will also help determine stats for other future ships :)
Beautiful work! I like this set of graphics :)) .
[OpenTTD] STD screenshots
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[OpenTTD] STD saved games - My finished scenarios and saves from the game
My Youtube channel - OpenTTD | Wiki xUSSR set (RU) | Wiki xUSSR set (EN) | Download the latest version of the xUSSR set
TT Screenshot of the Month - the page editor | Screenshot Of The Month Contest Winner: August 2017
FLHerne
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FLHerne »

This does look useful.
Will it overlap with FIRS and give two different 'Rhododendron' types, or does one disable itself if the other is detected?
Temporary Permanent signature filling text. Content coming soon delayed indefinitely! Oh, and I have had a screenshot thread.
Linux user (XMonad DWM/KDE, Arch), IRC obsessive and rail enthusiast. No longer building robots; now I ring church bells.
Author of an incredibly boring stickied post about NewGRFs.
Andrew350
Chairman
Chairman

Post by Andrew350 »

No, they will both show up if both sets are loaded. :)

They are arguably completely different ships, it's just that the graphics make them look the same. :wink:

Return to “Graphics Development”