How should graphic contributions be treated?

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

How should graphic contributions be treated?

Freeware/open use
58%
Permission only
42%
Strict copyright
No votes

Total votes: 45

nilsi
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by nilsi »

So take what ever you want and apply the GPL? Graphics made by Simon Foster and probably owned by Atari? Anything else? Microsoft Windows?
I do not consider it bulls***, sorry but that is all I want to say.
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

ChrisCF wrote:Ideally you should, since it will help the original author and newbies, since this information is discarded in the resulting grf.
They get it almost automaticly. Simply run the grfwizard and you have the code behind the grf.
ChrisCF
Transport Empire Developer
Transport Empire Developer

Post by ChrisCF »

Hyronymus wrote:They get it almost automaticly. Simply run the grfwizard and you have the code behind the grf.
I assume that grfcodec discards comments and the notion of multiple files when it creates the grf file. Thus the decoded files are not always the same as the ones that went into encoding it. So, without distributing the original files, any comments, separate files, etc. are no good to anyone but yourself.
nilsi wrote:So take what ever you want and apply the GPL? ... Anything else? Microsoft Windows?
Well, no, because I didn't write Windows. However for graphics that I produce, I can apply the GPL to it no matter what I've used as reference, since it's ny work.

Return to “Graphics Development”