New finescale tracks for Nu-tracks

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

coalroads artist
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Re: New finescale tracks for Nu-tracks

Post by coalroads artist »

I should've realised that drawing in TTD does have it's rules with symmetry...I did toy with the idea of shifting each vehicle sprite up but that would be too much just for such a small detail... with that said and taking in opinions, I watched some trains run on a quick mock up track piece I did last time with fiddling and I guess it does look alright so I will now complete it like this instead. Thanks for the input everyone.
Attachments
centred.PNG
centred.PNG (26.53 KiB) Viewed 4827 times
Original AUSSET graphics artist.
-Mr squiggle was my mentor!
Tracking table-Ausset
keoz
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by keoz »

Looks fine indeed, from my POV. Actually, it looks even more coherent than the standard model, where you can see the upper part of the rail, even when the train is on it.
Patch - Let's timetable depot waiting time with the Wait in depot patch.
GameScript - Searching a new way to make your cities growing ? Try the Renewed City Growth GameScript.
My screenshots thread.
coalroads artist
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Thanks Keoz, I've started to like the more prototypical look now thankfully.

This is the new centered tracks with just the right amount of width IMO. Tested with other track pieces and is all good, just need to finish them. From left before the box is very low speed, low speed, medium and high speed..
Attachments
Trackwork.PNG
Trackwork.PNG (19.12 KiB) Viewed 4744 times
Tracking table-Ausset
SwissFan91
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SwissFan91 »

Superb work on such a small scale. Well done :)
Total Alpine Replacement Set: Industry, Town, Objects
oberhümer
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by oberhümer »

coalroads artist wrote:Thanks Keoz, I've started to like the more prototypical look now thankfully.

This is the new centered tracks with just the right amount of width IMO. Tested with other track pieces and is all good, just need to finish them. From left before the box is very low speed, low speed, medium and high speed..
Is it just me, or has the difference between low and very low speed tracks become smaller since the last page? I can barely tell them apart now.
--- Licenses: GNU LGPL, version 2 or newer, code and graphics. CC-By-SA, graphics, alternatively. If you're using any, I'd like to hear about it --- Call them "track types" ---
--- Mostly inactive developer for: NuTracks - Central European Train Set --- Running/compiling for: Linux (x86) - Android - Windows (32/64 bit) ---

--- Need a file packer? 7-Zip --- BOINC - use your computing power to benefit science --- Block trackers, not ads --- Unix in dispersible pellets, the formula for the future. ---
Ogre
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Ogre »

I guess it's just the fences what makes the difference... In my opinion, this could already be enough to make the difference between very slow and slow "branch line"-like rails. However, a modification of the fences' color might help...
The pessimist sees the darkness in the tunnel.
The optimist sees the light at the end of the tunnel.
The realist sees the light coming closer...
The engineer sees three fools in front of his train on the track in the tunnel.
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

I actually think it's a rather interesting idea to keep those two very similar, as connecting points imo always are a bit of a problem visually - not with this style, though ;)
coalroads artist
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Thanks SwissFan91!

Here is another pic of the tracks side by side with minor changes which are very subtle as I've said before just rail height and ballast profile/covering. I'm glad it's appealing to some :)

oberhümer: The only difference is that one has nearly no ballast and the other has a small profile. I would add dirt around the very slow tracks to make them stand out more but it would then make them incompatible with other climates..

Still might change sleepers on very high speed to something lighter but I'll look tomorrow after some rest.
Attachments
comp_verhighspeed.PNG
comp_verhighspeed.PNG (68.38 KiB) Viewed 4609 times
Tracking table-Ausset
Ogre
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Ogre »

coalroads artist wrote:...
Still might change sleepers on very high speed to something lighter but I'll look tomorrow after some rest.
In my opinion the sleepers of the catenary equipped very fast track look just right in your screenshot. You might consider to change the color of the very fast track instead of the catenary equipped very high speed track...

[OT]Hopefully these sprites get integrated in Nu-tracks and the Canadian Train Set gets compatible with it... [/OT]
slaca
Engineer
Engineer

Post by slaca »

Hey, any news about this project? Im looking forward to playing with this.
oberhümer
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by oberhümer »

No news, which is bad news at least in this case.
--- Licenses: GNU LGPL, version 2 or newer, code and graphics. CC-By-SA, graphics, alternatively. If you're using any, I'd like to hear about it --- Call them "track types" ---
--- Mostly inactive developer for: NuTracks - Central European Train Set --- Running/compiling for: Linux (x86) - Android - Windows (32/64 bit) ---

--- Need a file packer? 7-Zip --- BOINC - use your computing power to benefit science --- Block trackers, not ads --- Unix in dispersible pellets, the formula for the future. ---
YNM
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by YNM »

I'm seeing him using the graphics personally, so the problem lies on other NuTrack team ?
YNM = yoursNotMine - Don't get it ?
「ヨーッスノットマイン」もと申します。
AlexG
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by AlexG »

Any new news about this project ?
coalroads artist
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Hi everyone, sorry for not releasing this earlier. I had to play test it myself, which did result in a few glitches found.

This is just modified graphics and nothing else, just a hack! I only lay claim to the graphics used in the third rail option in this grf, but credit goes to the Nutracks team - oberhümer, DJ Nekkid etc for the original work - coding and graphics. I was going to wait for oberhümer to code it properly, but believe it's usable now if correctly set and it seemed many were waiting for it. Only third rail option is modified (third rail won't show up if you have no third rail vehicles anyway), so it is not compatible with wired etc..

Enjoy.
Last edited by planetmaker on 02 Feb 2016 15:44, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed grf. Please mind the license. Publish with license information and full source code for modified versions
Tracking table-Ausset
Ogre
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Ogre »

Nice work. Thanks for the release.

Small bug: if the 3rd rail option is not selected, some switches show up the new graphics. I have wiped out every newgrf in my list to be sure that there is no incompatibility issue. Only if the 3rd rail option is selected, all tracks appear to show the new graphics.
slaca
Engineer
Engineer

Post by slaca »

Nice work, thanks, found a glitch:
It is very high speed line. If catenarys are inner the tracks, a white line is visible, if the are outer the tracks you can only see the top of the white line.

coalroads artist
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Thanks slaca, they should be fixed now. I didn't get past 1950s in my games using this GRF :oops:

Ogre: Sorry forgot to mention that it's going to be a pain with other sets, as that is my unfinished work on the other rail options, as it is a hack, so if anyone wants to use the other tracks unaltered they will have to swap out this with the original GRF file.

Thought I would give a demo shot as I know I get annoyed not seeing what is available at times on these forums when things are released.

Credit to the Nutracks team and OTTD devs as stated above for the work not involving my graphics :)
Attachments
NUtracksdemo16.png
(149.54 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Last edited by planetmaker on 02 Feb 2016 15:44, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed grf. Please mind the license. Publish with license information and full source code for modified versions
Tracking table-Ausset
ISA
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by ISA »

So far I like what I see! Good work!
but one little glitch with very high speed track!
EDIT: Low speed with catenary. There seems to be some kind of white dot.
Attachments
Clipboard01.png
Clipboard01.png (36.47 KiB) Viewed 2867 times
Clipboard01.png
Clipboard01.png (18.13 KiB) Viewed 658 times
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

My message was neither read nor replied for a week. Thus I removed the grfs posted by coalroads artist.

This NewGRF is licensed under the GPL. Thus you are allowed to modify it as you see fit. And you can share any modifications - on the condition that you include the license information and provide source code. Please be respectful of the community and do as they treated you: share your work and how you got there.
coalroads artist
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

planetmaker wrote:My message was neither read nor replied for a week. Thus I removed the grfs posted by coalroads artist.

This NewGRF is licensed under the GPL. Thus you are allowed to modify it as you see fit. And you can share any modifications - on the condition that you include the license information and provide source code. Please be respectful of the community and do as they treated you: share your work and how you got there.
I now understand this condition applies to my postings and I will comply with the requirements of the GPL licensing in future.

I dare say that I have been respectful of the community though, by constantly crediting the authors of the file I have used and corresponding with them - I just didn't understand the obligations of the licensing with modifying graphics, and releasing them to the community. I didn't dismiss any requests to do so once brought to my attention.. I don't spend all my life on here reading every message straight away, or finding every caveat that has relatively little to do with my interests.
Tracking table-Ausset

Return to “Graphics Development”