ISR/DWE style dock and objects, Version 1.1 released

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: ISR style dock and objects, Version 1.3 released

Post by FooBar »

If you'd do that with the roads, the vehicles would drive under the overlapping bit, rather than on top of it. In case of the depot, one wants to hide the vehices, hence the overlapping in the other direction. This has to do with something called drawing order.

That's essentially what jor[D]1 already said.
Beul
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Beul »

FooBar wrote:If you'd do that with the roads, the vehicles would drive under the overlapping bit, rather than on top of it. In case of the depot, one wants to hide the vehices, hence the overlapping in the other direction.
Thanks for the explanation, I now understand what Jor[D]1 said. Could have figured it out by myself if I thought a little longer tough... If it were the other way around vehicles would be driving over buildings and trains would be visible on top of depots. :roll:
Quast65
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Quast65 »

Thnx that you like the GRF, I saw your screenshot-thread, looking good!

Also thnx for the suggestions, when I find time I'll certainly include those. Also I think I will include some tram-overlapping tiles.

But won't be in the near future ;-)
Projects: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=57266
Screenshots: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=56959
Scenario of The Netherlands: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=87604

Winner of the following screenshot competitions:
sep 2012, jan 2013, apr 2013, aug 2013, mar 2014, mar 2016, oct 2020
All my work is released under GPL-license (either V2 or V3), if not clearly stated otherwise.
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

Quast65 wrote:Also I think I will include some tram-overlapping tiles.
I think that will prove difficult with the wires and all.
Beul
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Beul »

FooBar wrote: I think that will prove difficult with the wires and all.
Actually the wires will not provide too much trouble as the current sprites allready work on tram tracks and do leave the poles visible, only the tracks themselves disapear.

Nice tramtracks you made btw. :wink:
Attachments
tramtrack_overlap.PNG
tramtrack_overlap.PNG (616.14 KiB) Viewed 3509 times
Last edited by Beul on 27 Jun 2012 17:24, edited 1 time in total.
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

That surprizes me actually. In that case there will be fairly easy to make those tiles! :D
Quast65
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Quast65 »

Well, yes and no... It is good that the wires don't have to be drawn, but there are a lot of tiles to be drawn because of all the different crossings, turns and endpoints. and not forgetting the code ;-) A quick calculation, 2 straights, 4 endpoints, 4 corners, 4 t-sections, 1 x-crossing, makes 15... And that is only with tracks, don't forget that it might be useful (and looking better) to have them with the ISR-roads under it too, so that makes 30 and I'll probably want to convert some of the (un)loading tiles I've drawn too. Okay, it's a fairly easy job copy/pasting the tracks from a GPL-licensed set (hoping the tracks are separately drawn from the wires) and duplicating the code. But that is a boring job (lots of mindless repeating work, with adjusting small parts all the time), which takes some time that I don't want to put in just yet ;-)

But still, it's a crappy summer just yet here in Holland, so you might be surprised...

And indeed, you have drawn great tramtracks Foobar! And I've noticed they are GPL-licensed... So, I guess you wouldn't mind me using those? ;-)

All my work is released under GPL-license (either V2 or V3), if not clearly stated otherwise.
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

Not at all, so go ahead!
It might actually be worth to add "ISR terrain" to the track set itself. Let me know what you think is best.
Beul
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Beul »

Quast65 wrote:...lots of mindless repeating work, with adjusting small parts all the time..
Unfortunately the easy jobs are not always fun indeed.

What would be really nice is if you could make the tiles 'aware' what kind of track is underneath it and thus witch sprite should be displayed. That would mean the overlapping tiles would adjust themselves as the tram tracks get changed.
I do realize that what I am asking for involves a lot of extra coding. It should be possible though as the Dutch road furniture set already has some similar 'awareness' for the shoulder pieces that can detect a road and/or other shoulder piece of a neighboring tile.
FooBar wrote: It might actually be worth to add "ISR terrain" to the track set itself.
Do you mean by adding them as a parameter option like the different kinds of ballast? If so, it would probably be less glitchy. On the other hand it would mean that you have to choose between balast and ISR terrain. And I want both :oops: Ah well, can't have it all. :P
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

Beul wrote:
FooBar wrote: It might actually be worth to add "ISR terrain" to the track set itself.
Do you mean by adding them as a parameter option like the different kinds of ballast?
That is indeed what I have in mind, yes.

@Quast65:
I have the track available separate of everything, if you need it: http://dev.openttdcoop.org/projects/foo ... /track.png
Note that these tracks are slightly different than "default OpenTTD" and "OpenGFX". I've drawn them one pixel wider.
Quast65
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Quast65 »

What would be really nice is if you could make the tiles 'aware' what kind of track is underneath it
Well, first of all, I have no idea how to code that. And secondly, I don't think it will be necessary. These tiles will mainly be used inside an industrial environment (just like the ISR-roads), for moving cargo within the perimeters of that industrial area (for example moving cargo from a dock to a factory nearby). So most of these tramtracks will not be linked to the passengerlines.
It might actually be worth to add "ISR terrain" to the track set itself. Let me know what you think is best
That would indeed be very nice, but as stated by Beul, you can only choose one sort of "ballast". Using overlapping tiles will still give you the freedom to use a different sort of ballast in other regions. It would become very interesting if there is a possibility to get multiple sorts of road/tramtracks like there is for the railtracks. But I don't believe that option is available in the near future.
I have the track available separate of everything, if you need it
Thnx, will look into that!
Note that these tracks are slightly different than "default OpenTTD" and "OpenGFX". I've drawn them one pixel wider.
I think that would be just great for industrial environments, looks more robust.

FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

Quast65 wrote:That would indeed be very nice, but as stated by Beul, you can only choose one sort of "ballast". Using overlapping tiles will still give you the freedom to use a different sort of ballast in other regions. It would become very interesting if there is a possibility to get multiple sorts of road/tramtracks like there is for the railtracks. But I don't believe that option is available in the near future.
Yes, that would indeed be the disadvantage of my suggestion. You'd get ISR-tramtracks anywhere then. On second thought that's probably not wanted. I can probably whip out a small test grf though, I'll look into that some time in the near future.

Roadtypes is indeed what you'd want in this case, but I don't expect those to be available any time soon.
Quast65
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Quast65 »

Well, I fired up photoshop and have drawn these:

The normal tramtracks, New-objects made invisible, wires made invisible too, to show the lay-out:
ISRtram01.png
ISRtram01.png (55.76 KiB) Viewed 3335 times
Tramtracks with the new-objects overlay, wires still made invisible:
ISRtram02.png
ISRtram02.png (41.42 KiB) Viewed 3335 times
Tramtracks with overlay and wires made visible:
ISRtram03.png
ISRtram03.png (48.63 KiB) Viewed 3335 times
I still have to draw a version with ISR roads and tramtracks, I think I'll do that after the weekend. Also I have to insert the code into a new version of this GRF and change some code of the GRF (I want to change the availability date of all the tiles from 1950 to much earlier as requested by some people). So you can expect a new version somewhere at the end of next week.

Beul
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Beul »

Agreed :bow:
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Any chance that you can fix this small glitch? The drive-through buildings are overlapping objects in front of them.
Attachments
isrtiles.png
isrtiles.png (5.65 KiB) Viewed 3127 times
Quast65
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Quast65 »

I am afraid that is a problem that is inherent to the use of overlapping tiles :(

I have noticed this problem in my creations before, but also with others that use overlapping tiles (screenie from the modular locomotive sheds GRF):
example01.png
example01.png (5.16 KiB) Viewed 3070 times
I don't think this can be fixed until boundingboxes can get negative values (and thus boundingboxes can also cover the overlapping part).

Using overlapping tiles confuses the sprite sorter and sadly you will get these problems. You will have to be careful about how you place stuff in front of an overlapping tile. Overlapping tiles are essentially themselves a bug that can be used to create some nice visual effects, but they will create other problems sometimes.

So I don't think I can fix this issue...

FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

Quast65 wrote:I don't think this can be fixed until boundingboxes can get negative values (and thus boundingboxes can also cover the overlapping part).
They can. You can move the bounding box off the tile in any direction. But there's no guarantee that it will work as expected, as bounding boxes that are off the tile are not supported.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Okay, well, while we're waiting for that, another idea - instead of just having an empty tile of asphalt as the base for the overlapping sprites, can we also have ones that have buildings on it so that there's not so much wide open space?

Also, have you considered the valuables buildings for the drive-thru sheds?
Quast65
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Quast65 »

Buildings on the base of the overlapping sprites just to limit the open space will not be very important for me to draw and code. This stuff takes up a lot of space, so they should be used in industrial areas that have a lot of space available...

The valuables buildings as drive-thru sheds is a good suggestion! To be honest all the stuff that ISR has that could be used as drive-thru tiles are very interesting. However this is just a one man show at the moment, so all is dependent on my available time and effort and interest I want to and can put into it.

Currently I'm working on some other stuff outside this GRF and also working on some stuff for this GRF that is just a bit more interesting to me, so don't expect some new drive-thru sheds at the moment. However, if you can't resist firing up some graphics editor and draw them, I'll be happy to code them into this GRF. ;-)

Return to “Graphics Development”