Dutch Road Furniture Development

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

SkiddLow
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Re: Dutch Road Furniture Development

Post by SkiddLow »

Want New Idea!!! Pakistan Road Furniture for Dutch Road Furniture, Please Request!!!
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

Here's the source: http://dev.openttdcoop.org/projects/dut ... repository

Feel free to fork it and change the graphics to create a Pakistani version.
SwissFan91
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SwissFan91 »

Sorry to dig this up, but I have finally started using a version of OTTD that supports this set, and I have given it a go.

The graphics are great - that's a given. But I think the coding of this set is excellent too: you start building a motorway and begin to think 'well, how am I going to place hard shoulder there? There's nothing on the menu..' but everything seems to just work. Very minor glitches occur but they seem to work themselves out if you move the screen about.

So to the coder (Foobar?), who don't normally get much credit for projects, really good job.
Total Alpine Replacement Set: Industry, Town, Objects
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

SwissFan91 wrote:So to the coder (Foobar?), who don't normally get much credit for projects, really good job.
Thanks, I'm glad you like it!
ZxBiohazardZx
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by ZxBiohazardZx »

might be hacky but maybe you can make a tunnel-overlap-tile that overlaps the tunnel entrance and makes it a highway tunnel? if that can be done then only bridges look narrow.....
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

Yes and no. Yes I probably could make that, but no I don't have time to do that right now. The best think you can do is add this as a request to the issue tracker, so that it isn't forgotten. Or remind me whenever you see development on this set again.

For the bridges I plan to add wider bridges (replacing some default bridges), but for that I need NML support for bridges first.
SwissFan91
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SwissFan91 »

I have two questions for you WRT drawing and the resulting coding Mr Foobar:

1. I mentioned this elsewhere: I understand it is possible to have objects that roads can pass through - such as under the motorway gantries in this set. How would I draw something like this:
road cross.png
road cross.png (1.89 KiB) Viewed 5442 times
Do I leave the 'road' part transparent blue and then the code does the rest?

2. My plans for these wires are to have gondolas, cable cars and maybe chairlifts. I could of course draw three versions of all the wires with each vehicle type on - but I have a new plan:
3 layers showcase.png
3 layers showcase.png (5.51 KiB) Viewed 5442 times
Similar to the way that this set uses the matrix boxes to put signs on the gantries - would it be possible for the placing of the bottom station dictate which vehicles are placed on the wires? So if a chairlift station is placed then chairs are placed all along the wires to the top station, or a cable car station as in the diagram above. Does that make any sense?

Thanks,
Total Alpine Replacement Set: Industry, Town, Objects
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

Allow me to attempt to anwer your queries :)

1. One cannot have objects with a gap somewhere nor can you build an object on top of the road, so the solution here is to use multiple objects (of the same ID).
What the road furniture gantries do is as follows:
- user builds gantry object with a spacing of 1 tile in between
- code looks left and right of object to see if there is an object of the same id
- if not, it draws the support
- if only left, it draws support and gantry towards the left. This is simply spritelayout with a building sprite that goes way outside the actual tile
- if only right, draw support and gantry towards right
- if both sides, draw gantry towards both sides

This is something you can do as well for your set. With the added difficulty of having many more possible slope combinations. The concept isn't particularly complicated, but the resulting code will be so vast that it's hard to get your head around.

2. In theory that's possible, indeed similar to the matrix sign activators in my set. In your set you'll have the added difficulty that the station is at an unknown location, which means that for each intermediate piece you'll have to follow a trail towards the station in order to actually find the location of the station and its object id. Plus that you can only check around 8 tiles away, so the chairlift can only be 16 tiles long. Make it longer and the middle pieces will have no way of locating the station.

That and the fact that the code to do just this will be around the size of the Dutch Trainset indicate that it's plausible to do, but very impractical. It's easier to have one object for each height and then use the views inside those objects for the different vehicle types. You're better off investing time in making it animated than trying to make it this sophisticated.

Hope that helps, once done I'm sure your set will be awesome!
Phreeze
Director
Director

Post by Phreeze »

just wanted to report a translation typo:

STR_MIDDENBERM_EINDSTUK_2_PURCHASET

Base lang string:Endpiece for median{}{SILVER}To make a start end ending to your third lanes. Third lane unusable by vehicles. May glitch slightly at times.

i guess the "end" should be "and" ?

just my 2 cents ;) (seen it while translating it, finished translation so you can fix it if you release the latest version)
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

Thanks, it's now fixed in the source code. Will be in the next release.

EDIT:
Something new for the next release:
Attachments
somethingnew.PNG
somethingnew.PNG (55.24 KiB) Viewed 4289 times
STD
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by STD »

I have following questions (maybe someday will be added):
- You can make fences for roads (as picture)? It will be more realistic for the mountainous terrain in the game :wink: .
4053f7b8f0ac7f65f2e8e93c81dd2d7d1ec1934d_1031482_A60_Prüm-Bleialf.jpg
4053f7b8f0ac7f65f2e8e93c81dd2d7d1ec1934d_1031482_A60_Prüm-Bleialf.jpg (46.77 KiB) Viewed 4162 times
QPUc17zxjMg.jpg
QPUc17zxjMg.jpg (102.76 KiB) Viewed 4162 times
- Is it possible to add these signs to the set?
Still would like to see some road signs (as picture)
Road signs.png
Road signs.png (56.73 KiB) Viewed 4162 times
I apologize for such a number of road signs. The creators set themselves will decide what to add in the future :) .
[OpenTTD] STD screenshots
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[OpenTTD] STD saved games - My finished scenarios and saves from the game
My Youtube channel - OpenTTD | Wiki xUSSR set (RU) | Wiki xUSSR set (EN) | Download the latest version of the xUSSR set
TT Screenshot of the Month - the page editor | Screenshot Of The Month Contest Winner: August 2017
Transportman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Transportman »

STD wrote:- Is it possible to add these signs to the set?
Still would like to see some road signs (as picture)

I apologize for such a number of road signs. The creators set themselves will decide what to add in the future :) .
I think most will not look that different on the OpenTTD scale, so the number would be greatly reduced. But that is just my opinion.
Coder of the Dutch Trackset | Development support for the Dutch Trainset | Coder of the 2cc TrainsInNML
STD
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by STD »

And you can make objects of this set on the level of snow was covered with snow? As, for example, this was done in the VAST Objects 0.3.0.
VAST Objects 0.3.0.png
VAST Objects 0.3.0.png (115.37 KiB) Viewed 4019 times
[OpenTTD] STD screenshots
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[OpenTTD] STD saved games - My finished scenarios and saves from the game
My Youtube channel - OpenTTD | Wiki xUSSR set (RU) | Wiki xUSSR set (EN) | Download the latest version of the xUSSR set
TT Screenshot of the Month - the page editor | Screenshot Of The Month Contest Winner: August 2017
slaca
Engineer
Engineer

Post by slaca »

Hi, thx for this awesome set. Hope you will fix this. :wink: There are some bluish pixel instead of grey with ARRS on snowy tiles.
Version 0.7.1. Ottd 1.5.3.

Timeflyer
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Timeflyer »

I am missing two more middles..... one for bridges...one for tunnels!

:D Would be very nice !

And it would be nice to have some Endlines with further builds like trees, Signs and so on..because..it looks so empty I guess (mentioned red zones, which are empty further !!!)

!
Attachments
missingtiles.PNG
missingtiles.PNG (153.55 KiB) Viewed 831 times
RoadsideswithTrees.PNG
RoadsideswithTrees.PNG (39.5 KiB) Viewed 3506 times
acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Problem with Dutch Road Furniture

Post by acs121 »

Hi,

I'm using Dutch Road Furniture v0.7.1, and i have this problem :
S.T.R.A.F, 6 Sep 1939.png
(157.88 KiB) Not downloaded yet
It shows OpenGFX highway end though i'm using UK Roadset.

Here's my GRF list :
S.T.R.A.F, 4 Sep 1939.png
(61.97 KiB) Not downloaded yet
S.T.R.A.F, 4 Sep 1939#1.png
(62.07 KiB) Not downloaded yet
I tried putting Dutch Road Furniture over and under each NewGRF. I checked if TTRS interfered with it's roads, and it is said that TTRS infrastructure is disabled.
I tried also to change palette, go through parameters and force UK Roadset graphics, but nothing. Nothing at all.
Quast65
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Problem with Dutch Road Furniture

Post by Quast65 »

Do you have your gamesettings on left-hand-drive?
I donated UK-roadset highwayend sprites ages ago, but only for right-hand-drive ;-)
So, no left-hand UK highwayends are available (I think you can make them if you want and donate it to the DRF-developers, like I did)

EDIT:
My old graphics may help get you started:
derderijstrook_eindstukken_Right_Quast65edit.png
(43.61 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Projects: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=57266
Screenshots: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=56959
Scenario of The Netherlands: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=87604

Winner of the following screenshot competitions:
sep 2012, jan 2013, apr 2013, aug 2013, mar 2014, mar 2016, oct 2020
All my work is released under GPL-license (either V2 or V3), if not clearly stated otherwise.
acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by acs121 »

Oh, yes, they are on left-hand drive, because in France drving side is left, and in UK driving side is right.
Quast65
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Quast65 »

acs121 wrote:Oh, yes, they are on left-hand drive, because in France drving side is left, and in UK driving side is right.
Its the other way around ;-)
In continental Europe the driving side is right (where the cars are on the road, not where the steeringwheel is) and in UK its left ;-)
Projects: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=57266
Screenshots: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=56959
Scenario of The Netherlands: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=87604

Winner of the following screenshot competitions:
sep 2012, jan 2013, apr 2013, aug 2013, mar 2014, mar 2016, oct 2020
All my work is released under GPL-license (either V2 or V3), if not clearly stated otherwise.
acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by acs121 »

Oh well, i was talking about the steering wheel.

Return to “Graphics Development”