Brainwave

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Supercheese
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Brainwave

Post by Supercheese »

ISA wrote:I have thinking to make something like military stuff... fighter, old fighter (spitfire and other WWII stuff), hangars and little runway tiles to connect things up... bit like little air show! The main thing is to not go big, because I don't find a lot time to draw things... So I should try to go tile be tile. Anyways if anyone have interest poke me and I maybe get a little motivation :)
I, too, have been wanting to code some WWII-era planes (B-17 & B-24 to start), and in fact I already have (unpalletized) sprites for those. Now that my coding skills have improved, I'll definitely be working on those shortly. :)

In other news, the emergency vehicles are going well, I'll release those sometime before the end of the year. The jetski project has stalled indefinitely, because as was presciently mentioned earlier, they end up being way too small. :| However, I still want to code a small sailboat, a motorboat, and perhaps something more obscure, like a trireme or galley. :mrgreen: But andy is right, drawing ship sprites is a pain in the rear, especially the animated wakes. Ugh. :roll:
Eyecandy Road Vehicles | Fake Subways | Supercheese's NewObjects

"Fashions and cultures change, but steam trains shall always be majestic."
-Professor Hershel Layton
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

Nicely done :D
Remember to put it on BaNaNaS...
Supercheese
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Supercheese »

Zephyris wrote:Nicely done :D
Remember to put it on BaNaNaS...
Ah, right. It is there now. Thanks once again for the excellent sprites! :)
Eyecandy Road Vehicles | Fake Subways | Supercheese's NewObjects

"Fashions and cultures change, but steam trains shall always be majestic."
-Professor Hershel Layton
ISA
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by ISA »

Leanden wrote:/poke!!
Hey!!! Not with two fingers into my both eyes! :P
Attachments
Try.PNG
Try.PNG (11.77 KiB) Viewed 2727 times
Bob_Mackenzie
Chairman
Chairman

Post by Bob_Mackenzie »

Those sprites are spot on :)

Shouldn't the Spit be green and brown?
ISA
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by ISA »

Bob_Mackenzie wrote:Those sprites are spot on :)
Thanks! I dunno there are like million versions Spits in Google :D I could also do the green/brown!
Bob_Mackenzie
Chairman
Chairman

Post by Bob_Mackenzie »

ISA wrote:
Bob_Mackenzie wrote:Those sprites are spot on :)
Thanks! I dunno there are like million versions Spits in Google :D I could also do the green/brown!
Grey spits were later war, and as yours has a three bladed prop is early mid war....
d0mi3l
Engineer
Engineer

Post by d0mi3l »

Could you change start date to 1783 (first flight on Ballon)? 8)
Lesarthois
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Lesarthois »

I though about it too, but that would aslo require to have cheap "heliports" (really, for aerostats, a strip of grass and a shack) because the helidepot that become first available isn't eyecandy either.

Maybe a simple 1*1 square for balloons, then an "early helidepot" for dirigibles, around 1900? Coudl be based on Hangar Y :
Image the oldest dirigible hangar still standing (1879) and the oldest dirigible hangar designed for that purpose :D

Being that balloons are for eyecandy purpose, it would make sense to make the "grass pads" cheap to build and cost free, or maybe just having a minimal infrastructure cost. And disabling them around 1930 when dirigibles then helicopters are introduced to avoid people using them for no cost. (Unless there is a way to ban helicopters and dirigibles to use a specific airport type).

For more eyecandy, one plane GRF provide small tourism planes (a biplan type and an "Utility") but they have rather high maintenance costs so while they doesn't cost too much, it's hard to make them profitable (one way I found is loading them with bags from Banks, but that doesn't work with FIRS for example).

For boats, someone mentionned a raft-type of boat for early times, (for the Sailing Ships GRF or related). Rope ferries might fit in that category, even if there is probably no way to make a proper cable ferry in OpenTTD (unless cheating with a rail type or road type with lots of sprite play to make it looks like water... A huge effort for a small reward!)

Autogyros would be nice eyecandy type of planes too, either for leisure like the balloon, or a profit?
Seaplanes would be nice too, but apparently no one figured a simple option to plop a dock for planes. I guess due to the limitations of OpenTTD in that regard, making seaplanes being boats is impossible or would be too silly (speed on sea vehicles is limted to 127 kph, apparently) and as for balloons, it might not be possible to ban normal planes to land on a seaplane airport.
Pilot
General Forums Moderator
General Forums Moderator

Post by Pilot »

Lesarthois wrote:Seaplanes would be nice too, but apparently no one figured a simple option to plop a dock for planes. I guess due to the limitations of OpenTTD in that regard, making seaplanes being boats is impossible or would be too silly (speed on sea vehicles is limted to 127 kph, apparently) and as for balloons, it might not be possible to ban normal planes to land on a seaplane airport.
Seaplane's have kinda been made to work (see here: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=57133&hilit=seaplane+airport) but the outcome isn't exactly amazing. Pikka's AV8 includes the few Seaplanes that have actually been drawn and coded, but that's about it.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

A reminder for anybody who does want to code a seaplane set, I have lots of stats for seaplanes, floatplanes, flying boats and amphibious planes, and eventually I get around to organizing amphibious helicopters as well.

Return to “Graphics Development”