NUTS!!! Let's go NUTS!!!

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

cachila
Engineer
Engineer

Re: NUTS!!! Let's go NUTS!!!

Post by cachila »

awsome mod but: i cant find the download :evil:
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

Maybe if you told us where you looked, we could tell you if it's the right place or not. What OpenTTD version you use may be relevant as well.
cachila
Engineer
Engineer

Post by cachila »

FooBar wrote:Maybe if you told us where you looked, we could tell you if it's the right place or not. What OpenTTD version you use may be relevant as well.
ive have look in the reales thread, development thread and dev zone
im playing with 1.2.1 rc1
V453000 :)
President
President

Post by V453000 :) »

just check the download content aka BaNaNaS http://bananas.openttd.org/en/ , also seen in-game through the "check online content" button
ImageImageImage
cachila
Engineer
Engineer

Post by cachila »

V453000 :) wrote:just check the download content aka BaNaNaS http://bananas.openttd.org/en/ , also seen in-game through the "check online content" button
thanks A LOT :) im playing with it right now
ezzeqiel
Engineer
Engineer

Post by ezzeqiel »

V453000 :) wrote:
ColdIce wrote:this is an amazing set. there are some nice trains/wagons. but since 0.1.0 i cant use the set because of the universal rail. can you make a parameter settings to switch off the rail? I`m already using NuTraks, swedish rails, hankyu and other sets and now i get an error when i try to load this set. ( sprite error 11) thank you
Could you please give me some more info how do you manage to get this error? I have just tried it with NUTS 0.1.5 or NUTS 0.1.0 and nutracks 1.0.0 or 1.1.2 and it works for me. Tried with OpenTTD 1.2.0.

Note aside: Quite honestly, I do not see a single reason why would you load nutracks with NUTS. But it works.

In regard to changes: I think removing the universal rail (even just optimally) would remove one of the most key features from the set, so I do not really intend to make such parameter available, at least just yet.
I have this issue too

This happens to me when I place NUTS above NuTracks... If I place NUTS below NuTracks, it appears to work flawless.

I load nutracks along with nuts, because nuts's not the only train set I play with, and I like how nutracks works with other sets, plus I like it in my games...

It's a personal preference to choose which GRF combination to load and play with...

EDIT: awesome set ;)
President
President

I am going to write about something else this time and I would like to discuss the following:

Here I have 4 versions of a side view of one of NUTS trains - the 3rd rail fast train.

These drawings differ a lot in the technique used, and all of it has some pros and cons:

1st version:
Specifics: using shades 6-1 of company colour 1 (I consider "1" to be the brightest, 6 the 3rd darkest)
As it uses only 5 shades of the company colour, we can see that it does not add much depth, and the image feels somewhat flat.
By consisting of very bright colours, we can see that with orange and white it causes majorly overbrightened look.

2nd version:
Specifics: using shades 8-3 of company colour 1.
Here we have the same sprite but darkened to see what it does. Firstly, the image looks even a lot more flat than the former version. That is because of the lack of bright pixels.
On the other hand we gain a lot better "stability" of the output. Orange and white looks a bit dark, but doesnt get into extremes, while the darker colours as dark blue or mauve are still acceptable.

3rd version:
Specifics: using all shades of company colour 1. Systematic light.
The third version is consisting of all 8 shades that a company colour provides, and is made in a very similar systematic way as the first two versions.
By systematic light I mean that pixels on one "wall" are usually similar. (As opposed to the 4th version)
We gained a lot less flatness, however colours orange and white still are quite a bit different from the other colours.

4th version:
Specifics: using all shades of company colour 1. Diagonal lighting.
This version uses all 8 shades of company colour and is enhanced by a different form of light. This is something like a diagonal reflection which comes from the left bottom to the top right.
This light gives it a lot more spark so the engine looks a bit like something more special.
Also, the train looks pretty good in all colours.
However it makes the structure of the train a bit less obvious.

What do you think?

My conclusions would be:
1. most important part - using as many shades as possible
2. diagonal lighting can make it look quite special, im going to use it more

Thanks for reading,
V453000
Attachments
The imageee
The imageee
railfast3_4tries.png (31.6 KiB) Viewed 5793 times
ImageImageImage
President
President

The time has come to make local trains have refittability to various colours. I personally love to be able to have many colourful trains in my town, so here it goes!
Redrawing the local trains and wagons comes next when I have it coded now :)

Behold the power of rainbow!
rainbowpower.png
rainbowpower.png (311.64 KiB) Viewed 990 times
ImageImageImage
Quast65
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Quast65 »

I don't have anything really constructive to add (because I like playing realistic style games), but this thread always brings a smile to my face ;-) keep up the great work!!
Projects: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=57266
Screenshots: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=56959
Scenario of The Netherlands: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=87604

Winner of the following screenshot competitions:
sep 2012, jan 2013, apr 2013, aug 2013, mar 2014, mar 2016, oct 2020
All my work is released under GPL-license (either V2 or V3), if not clearly stated otherwise.
President
President

I was more like trying to talk about drawing rather than any relation to way of playing, but thank you for your feedback :)
ImageImageImage
Bob_Mackenzie
Chairman
Chairman

Post by Bob_Mackenzie »

FWIW no 4 looks the best to my eye
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

pixa may help you with redrawing the same image in several colours.
MinchinWeb
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by MinchinWeb »

I was thinking about making a train set with classes, and then came across this. I'm very impressed! I look forward to using it in my next game. Thanks for all the hard work!
Alberta Town Names - 1500+ real names from 'Acme' to 'Zama City'
MinchinWeb's Random Town Name Generator - providing 2 million plus names...
WmDOT v13 - An AI that doubles as your highway department
Brumi
President
President

Post by Brumi »

I think I found a bug:
The Duke NUT'em is listed as an engine with an express wagon capacity of 60. However, if I actually attach express wagons to it, their capacity is 90.

Very nice set by the way, I really like its concept of concentrating on gameplay value :)
President
President

Fixed, thank you :) Also loading speed was incorrect (for all rail passenger trains)
ImageImageImage
Kogut
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Kogut »

WETRails are hilarious but interaction with AIs seems weird, even buggy.

For example AI is able to construct and use WET type vehicles over normal rails (human players seems to be blocked from this). WET type vehicles are sometimes failing assertion "AIVehicle.GetVehicleType(engineId) == AIVehicle.VT_RAIL" (I think that from game mechanic side it is still normal train).

There are multiple other weird things but in this two cases I think that this set is buggy, not my AI.

EDIT: I am unable to reproduce the second one so I will blame it on cosmic radiation and pretend that it never happened.
Last edited by Kogut on 08 Jul 2013 07:24, edited 1 time in total.
Correct me If I am wrong - PM me if my English is bad
AIAI - AI for OpenTTD
Brumi
President
President

Post by Brumi »

Kogut wrote:For example AI is able to construct and use WET type vehicles over normal rails (human players seems to be blocked from this).
In that case the AI is using the universal rail I guess.
Kogut
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Kogut »

Brumi wrote:
Kogut wrote:For example AI is able to construct and use WET type vehicles over normal rails (human players seems to be blocked from this).
In that case the AI is using the universal rail I guess.
Good guess, thanks!
AIAI - AI for OpenTTD
Kogut
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Kogut »

in r25576, clicking on "visit website" in NUTS newgrf entry is not doing anything. It works for other NewGrfs (for example - NuTracks).

BTW, readme have too long lines to display properly ingame.
AIAI - AI for OpenTTD
Kogut
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Kogut »

Why trainset changes appearance of signals? I am interested in using it but I want also semaphores.

Merging different things in one newgrf is a bad idea, trainsets and railway sets should stay separate.
AIAI - AI for OpenTTD

Return to “Graphics Development”