NUTS!!! Let's go NUTS!!!

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Sabre_Justice
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Re: NUTS!!! Let's go NUTS!!!

Post by Sabre_Justice »

Nice to see some enthusiasm for a project that seeks to do something different, but I think you probably want to do more than just throw in random ridiculous ideas and pop culture references, right?

You mention eGRVTS as an inspiration, which gets me to thinking- if you're going for the same level of in-game practicality and useful variety along with looking interesting, it might be helpful to think of what functions players need trains to serve in-game, and how their stats should be geared for it? Naturally you don't want a one-size-fits-all train, but looking at eGRVTS for ideas...

Take the bus selection, for example. In the mid to late 20th century you get three main kinds of buses- double-deckers with a high passenger capacity but low speed, articulated buses also with high capacity but requiring drive-through depots (which have their strengths and weaknesses), and normal bodied buses that are much faster and longer ranged than the other types. These three simple choices give players optimal vehicles for different situations, regional and urban services. The trucks don't seem to have an equivalent of the double-decker but otherwise follow the same pattern. (and the Heavy Equipment Set does work nicely with eGRVTS by offering slower high-capacity cargo vehicles)

I think you'd want to make sure the player has access to a variety of trains clearly intended for different purposes- cheap and light trains for small hauls, mid-range trains with decent capacities but nothing too special, powerful trains with strong engines for hauling large loads or going uphill, the big expensive freight trains, passenger expresses, etc etc. Even gimmicks like car-trains (the Gmund Mog in the Heavy Equipment set is already basically a car-train, and extremely situational but I bet it has its uses) have their place.
V453000 :)
President
President

Post by V453000 :) »

Sabre_Justice wrote:Nice to see some enthusiasm for a project that seeks to do something different, but I think you probably want to do more than just throw in random ridiculous ideas and pop culture references, right?

You mention eGRVTS as an inspiration, which gets me to thinking- if you're going for the same level of in-game practicality and useful variety along with looking interesting, it might be helpful to think of what functions players need trains to serve in-game, and how their stats should be geared for it? Naturally you don't want a one-size-fits-all train, but looking at eGRVTS for ideas...

Take the bus selection, for example. In the mid to late 20th century you get three main kinds of buses- double-deckers with a high passenger capacity but low speed, articulated buses also with high capacity but requiring drive-through depots (which have their strengths and weaknesses), and normal bodied buses that are much faster and longer ranged than the other types. These three simple choices give players optimal vehicles for different situations, regional and urban services. The trucks don't seem to have an equivalent of the double-decker but otherwise follow the same pattern. (and the Heavy Equipment Set does work nicely with eGRVTS by offering slower high-capacity cargo vehicles)

I think you'd want to make sure the player has access to a variety of trains clearly intended for different purposes- cheap and light trains for small hauls, mid-range trains with decent capacities but nothing too special, powerful trains with strong engines for hauling large loads or going uphill, the big expensive freight trains, passenger expresses, etc etc. Even gimmicks like car-trains (the Gmund Mog in the Heavy Equipment set is already basically a car-train, and extremely situational but I bet it has its uses) have their place.
Thank you for quite well thought and interesting feedback, I appreciate that someone thinks in the gameplay spheres..

Majority of the way how things are going to work is in this file:
http://dev.openttdcoop.org/issues/2871
The rest of the stats is going to be filled later..
the mentioned example of eGRVTS is just a pointer because it is probably the only set which classes a few engines which improve over time. How successfully is it done is some other problem in my eyes :).

So you can see that I have a certain plan, this thread is just for inspiration when drawing sprites. The aim of the set is to make it super well playable so it has a certain system which is going to be filled and is very unlikely to be changed. On the other hands I do have many ideas how to draw this and that but there is a looot of engines to take care of. :) So this would be about it, feel free to join IRC channel #openttdcoop.devzone on OFTC or even write here if there is something more you would like to know :).

Note: and the random ridiculous ideas are just because I like my stuff being oddly fun and mainly because I can afford it with no regards to realism
ImageImageImage
Sabre_Justice
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Sabre_Justice »

I was just cruising Cracked.com for crazy vehicle ideas, lo behold they do deliver.

We totally need a Fallout-inspired nuclear powered vehicle GRF. I think the Railplanes have been posted earlier on though. (and it turns out propellers kinda suck for ground transport, but that never stopped steampunk)
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Thanks for posting that Sabre, I am SO totally digging the idea of the Straddling Bus as a tram replacement.

oberhümer
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by oberhümer »

I'd love to see that turn a corner :P
--- Licenses: GNU LGPL, version 2 or newer, code and graphics. CC-By-SA, graphics, alternatively. If you're using any, I'd like to hear about it --- Call them "track types" ---
--- Mostly inactive developer for: NuTracks - Central European Train Set --- Running/compiling for: Linux (x86) - Android - Windows (32/64 bit) ---

--- Need a file packer? 7-Zip --- BOINC - use your computing power to benefit science --- Block trackers, not ads --- Unix in dispersible pellets, the formula for the future. ---
President
President

An arc train :) for maglev most likely...
Attachments
ArcTrain01.png
ArcTrain01.png (2.05 KiB) Viewed 3872 times
ImageImageImage
PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

Post by PikkaBird »

Looks good, the side views are too side-on though. :)
President
President

Should they be more "from the top view" ?
ImageImageImage
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

V453000 :) wrote:Should they be more "from the top view" ?
Yes. Now they look like really face-on while the view is more from a 45° upward perspective.
Jacko
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Jacko »

wow nice.

I like the bus thing. it looks awesome.
"O2 is for noobs, real people breath O3" ~ said sometime by Me

All comments from me may or may not be true and do not take them word-for-word

Feel Free to join me and some other people in The Nations Game - its actually quite fun.

1000th Post at Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:43 am
2000th post at Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:22 am
President
President

Ok, I have tried to make them a bit more from the top, results are two... both are almost identical but one of them has the highlight 1px higher, one lower. Which one to choose?
Attachments
The one with highlight 1px lower than the other.
The one with highlight 1px lower than the other.
ArcTrain02.png (2.06 KiB) Viewed 3680 times
The one with highlight 1px higher than the other.
The one with highlight 1px higher than the other.
ArcTrain03.png (2.08 KiB) Viewed 3680 times
And both in one file :) The arrows indicate where the highlight is (higher/lower)
And both in one file :) The arrows indicate where the highlight is (higher/lower)
ArcTrain0203.png (1.61 KiB) Viewed 3680 times
ImageImageImage
Nawdic
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Nawdic »

Emperor Jake wrote: The train from 007: Goldeneye
I found out some info about this one - It was a BR Class 20 underneath this "mock" armouring, surely, this one must be an easy one to do?
Very much a retired regular poster..... If you can say that :mrgreen:
President
President

The point is, why ... sure, it is a strange locomotive but I do not really need armoured trains :) In the end it would probably look just like long gray "thing" on the first sight anyway..
ImageImageImage
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

Heh, that train somehow reminds me of Darth Vader in an Angry Bird shape :P
Jacko
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Jacko »

LOL :D

you could use the shape but not bother wih armour.

Feel Free to join me and some other people in The Nations Game - its actually quite fun.

President
President

Jacko wrote:LOL :D

you could use the shape but not bother wih armour.

That is quite true :) maybe not equal shape but something like that, quite probably yes..
ImageImageImage
Jacko
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Jacko »

Its a bit the X2001, the train with a personality
(i.e. it has a sad face on the front of it)

President
President

Well hello again, this time I bring to you a whole series of four engines.

These are the maglev strong class engines, visually "evolving" between the 4 stages.

Opinions, thoughts, spotted mistakes? :)
Attachments
There goes, I added 3 random company colours to show it somehow else than in the blue and green which I believe every newgrf author using 2cc is already too fed up with :D
There goes, I added 3 random company colours to show it somehow else than in the blue and green which I believe every newgrf author using 2cc is already too fed up with :D
MagStrongPreview01.png (14.29 KiB) Viewed 3437 times
ImageImageImage
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

Company colours (and 2nd company colour) are best done by a recolouring within the game - and they need not necessarily obey the player's CC. That needs no separate drawing - just make sure that the CC and 2CC use the proper palette index. That way you have all 256 2CC combinations at your disposal.

Return to “Graphics Development”