NUTS!!! Let's go NUTS!!!

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

V453000 :)
President
President

Re: NUTS!!! Let's go NUTS!!!

Post by V453000 :) »

Thanks, but I know that :) The first line of the sprites is in the proper CC indexes, the rest is just so that people here can see and give me comments. It is done with TTD Viewer after all ;)

I rather need the artistic feedback because I am quite unexperienced in this sphere, so any constructive comments would be helpful and I think that it is sometimes not-so-well-visible with the dark blue and green
ImageImageImage
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

If it's supposed to crawl like a catarpillar (which I think would look really cool), the only way to see if it works out right is to try it ingame. Alternatively an animated gif could also work. For it to look reasonably smooth I think you need more intermediate stages.
President
President

:D I did not consider that but it definitely is an awesome idea. Though I don't think it would be reasonable with some higher speed of trains.

I thought it is clear, but they are four different engines of one series, coming chronologically one after another in the game.
ImageImageImage
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

As four different engines I think they're quite alright as they are!
Maybe a caterpillar is best as a separate slow engine, next to the slug :D
President
President

Yeah, as a slow engine it would certainly be quite awesome, but probably too much effort to make (at least for now when I aim for at least some usable sprites) but never say never :)

P.S. Slug will be 300+ kmh
ImageImageImage
Sabre_Justice
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Sabre_Justice »

Now I'm wondering if this is going to turn into a creepy crawly themed GRF with trains all based on slugs, snails and caterpillars.

And then expanding to butterfly aircraft, beetle trucks, crustacean boats...
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

Sabre_Justice wrote:Now I'm wondering if this is going to turn into a creepy crawly themed GRF with trains all based on slugs, snails and caterpillars.

Wouldn't sound like a bad theme to me.

Houses would have to be replaced by butter flower, lavendel plants and industries by things like ant hives and wasp nests.
President
President

The "level of sanity" depends on the rail trains run on.

Maglevs are simply allowed to be super-futuristic, making for some weird shapes.
Monorails should be somewhat odd but not too much. But at the same time because I find monorail awesome, it is going to feature for example the slug train for some further awesomeness.
And the majority of trains which is yet undrawn is going to be on rail, where the trains should be quite standard.

I do not intend to make it "retardedly insane", but the weird things are supposed to be just something to spice it up in the modern eras.

It is not a coincidence that I make the "extra ideas" first because it is just most interesting and I better do it before I forget. And at the same time some weird shapes of trains are giving me real headaches and take so much time to draw so I like to have them done already :)

Furthermore, at the moment I am making some sort of "base" for the set - which are the interesting engines. Of course I will need many "normal" sprites later on, but if I could eventually hope for someone to help me, I believe they would prefer drawing something more ordinary :)
ImageImageImage
Sabre_Justice
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Sabre_Justice »

planetmaker wrote:
Sabre_Justice wrote:Now I'm wondering if this is going to turn into a creepy crawly themed GRF with trains all based on slugs, snails and caterpillars.

Houses would have to be replaced by butter flower, lavendel plants and industries by things like ant hives and wasp nests.
The whole game would be strangely easy to convert to an ecosystem rather than economy 'sim'.
President
President

Sabre_Justice wrote:
planetmaker wrote:

The whole game would be strangely easy to convert to an ecosystem rather than economy 'sim'.
:D
ImageImageImage
President
President

Hello! Here are more things, this time the whole monorail ICE series.
You can see that in the earlier ages it is more like a metro train but later becomes something more interesting...
The only thing remaining are wagons which is just a minor thing. :)

Thoughts?
Attachments
4 stages, chronologically sorted
4 stages, chronologically sorted
MonoICE_showcase01.png (3.66 KiB) Viewed 3262 times
ImageImageImage
lawton27
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by lawton27 »

I'd like to make a contribution :)

It's a 125mph 1930's Russian monorail. http://translate.google.com/translate?s ... Yarmanchuk (Yes i know it's real :D But I think it's still suitably nuts for the set) I drew this ages ago for my monorail set which progress has stopped on, I would hate to see the sprites go to waste. :wink:
Attachments
yarmanchuk.png
yarmanchuk.png (1.45 KiB) Viewed 3236 times
President
President

Nice!

About the place it should take in NUTS, please consult the engine table. Monorail ICE trains are already complete but there still are free spots in the commuter train branch of monorail.

Info on vehicles here:
http://dev.openttdcoop.org/issues/2871

As for exact suggestions I would make:
1. make the "windows" a bit more separated in the diagonal views
2. delete wheels and make side views a bit higher
3. make some parts in 2nd company colour
4. the front part of the train seems to be somewhat unclear, it might be a good idea to make there something, be it some cap made from the 2nd CC, "nose" or what not :)
5. make it a little bit brighter to fit to the other vehicles (mainly the "roof" parts)
Last edited by V453000 :) on 07 Sep 2011 15:38, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImage
lawton27
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by lawton27 »

There's a plan :lol:

Doesn't look like it would fit in how I imagined, it's based off a real monorail from the 1930's, you don't have any monorails planned that early. :)

So I'm happy with the sprites as they are as they look like the real thing, feel free to do whatever you want to it to make it make it fit in somewhere else :D
President
President

lawton27 wrote:There's a plan :lol:

Doesn't look like it would fit in how I imagined, it's based off a real monorail from the 1930's, you don't have any monorails planned that early. :)

So I'm happy with the sprites as they are as they look like the real thing, feel free to do whatever you want to it to make it make it fit in somewhere else :D
Ok, thank you :)

... it is nice that "really" it is from 1930s but I just need to fit it in the dates I have set in the engine tables. ;) Of course unless it would be something extremely special and unorthodox such as the slug train for example. For now I can definitely tell that it is going to be one of the 4 commuter monorail trains, probably the 2nd or 3rd as the train has quite a modern shape but old-ish windows.

It will definitely be useful :) Thanks once again!
ImageImageImage
lawton27
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by lawton27 »

V453000 :) wrote:... it is nice that "really" it is from 1930s
Evidence from the internet suggests yes it is rather real, evidently it never caught on. :)

Check out the link on my first post, there's a picture of it in the source magazine linked to there.
President
President

Quite honestly, I absolutely do not care about the real values or context of trains :)
ImageImageImage
APDAF
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by APDAF »

How about a Lartigue Monorail type train?
Visit my screenshot thread--> http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=54118
If you want to have a go at War Thunder, PM me, I have an invite code.
President
President

APDAF wrote:How about a Lartigue Monorail type train?
Looks too old for 2000+ monorails in my opinion
ImageImageImage
lawton27
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by lawton27 »

V453000 :) wrote:
APDAF wrote:How about a Lartigue Monorail type train?
Looks too old for 2000+ monorails in my opinion
Isn't this set supposed to be nuts? :lol:

Return to “Graphics Development”