Snow in temperate climate (Only Pics)

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

eis_os
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by eis_os »

I have talked with Michael a bit about the whole problem with the Copyright (And some other stuff that maybe later is important in the Patch, don't try to bugging me what we talked about, you wouldn't understand it)

Our conclusion is that Michael or me can't release complete sets full of changed Sprites which are copyrighted by Simon Foster/Chris Sawyer and or Atari...
ChrisCF
Transport Empire Developer
Transport Empire Developer

Post by ChrisCF »

That kinda kills the whole graphics community, since most of the stuff that goes out is based in some way or another on the originals. I certainly don't think Michael created all his stuff from scratch, without even using the originals as a reference for size, perspective, etc (if Atari really were bothered about this, they'd have a go at you purely for this). Away goes overhead power lines, the track foundations (I assume these were based on those used by the game for town buildings), new stations, and probably a few other sets as well - much of the BR stuff so far is either repaints, or is based in some way on the original sprites.

As has already been said, Atari evidently couldn't give so much as half a damn about the game. As for SF and CS, you can apply POLE - the Principle Of Least Effort. Bringing lawsuits against small-time graphics artists such as those found here isn't worth the time or money that it costs (Elton John is already aware of this, after a court awarded him considerably less than he's spent on the affair during a defamation and libel case), especially bearing in mind how little a court would award in either direction anyway.

While they say that "ignorance is no excuse", it's also true that vigilance isn't something which can always be maintained. It's not unknown for people to apply "Well, you can't have it, but if someone were to take it while I wasn't looking ..." and get away with it entirely.

Expecting us to screenscrape is just a little much, don't you think?

Anyway, even if it's not released, is it at least possible that we can see this maybe turn up in an alternate theme for the forums ("TT Winter" perhaps)?
Bugzilla available for use - PM for details.
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

As for a winter theme... wait and see. ;)
SHADOW-XIII
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SHADOW-XIII »

nice ... exacly the same was today in my town :wink:
what are you looking at? it's a signature!
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

Yeah, same here, only it was much much windier.
spaceman-spiff
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Post by spaceman-spiff »

Yeah, thanks for making us drool, oskar
mikeya
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by mikeya »

spaceman-spiff wrote:Yeah, thanks for making us drool, oskar
Oh c'mon! I still like it to see the screens. A pitty that we can't use them ourself but hey, you can't have everything :).
Mike,
eis_os
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by eis_os »

ChrisCF wrote:That kinda kills the whole graphics community, since most of the stuff that goes out is based in some way or another on the originals.

Yep. But it doesn't mean I speak for the others.
I certainly don't think Michael created all his stuff from scratch, without even using the originals as a reference for size, perspective, etc
You don't get it, you can use it as reference for size and such stuff,
or A LOT games would get problems :) There are many iso style games around...

If you create a new Bridge that wasn't in TTD you don't have any problem.

But you can clearly say that the snow depots are based on TTD graphics....
Away goes overhead power lines, [..]
Overhead power lines are made by Michael, Marcin and Josef,
TTD doesn't have them so there is no copyright problem.
[..] the track foundations (I assume these were based on those used by the game for town buildings) [..]
We are aware of it... (They are created by Marcin)
[..] new stations [..]
If you look on the pictures, Michaels Sprites are 99% new, so the chance for copyright problem (in Germany) would very very thin. (The track graphic isn't in the Sets because TTD will draw the piece with original sprites)

As far as Michael told me the Alpine Set gets completely new buildings not based on TTD one.

If you copy and alter 2000 Sprites is huge amount of copyright break.
As has already been said, Atari evidently couldn't give so much as half a damn about the game. As for SF and CS, you can apply POLE - the Principle Of Least Effort. Bringing lawsuits against small-time graphics artists such as those found here isn't worth the time or money that it costs
You forget I am involved in many things not only in TTD Graphics,
the chances are much higher that I get problems.

(Thats why I can't start a 2D Transport Tycoon clone game, if it would
have some success I could get problems because I worked on TTDPatch)

You know the story of 3DTT? A good example how laws could lead into some strange results.
(Elton John is already aware of this, after a court awarded him considerably less than he's spent on the affair during a defamation and libel case), especially bearing in mind how little a court would award in either direction anyway.

While they say that "ignorance is no excuse", it's also true that vigilance isn't something which can always be maintained. It's not unknown for people to apply "Well, you can't have it, but if someone were to take it while I wasn't looking ..." and get away with it entirely.

Expecting us to screenscrape is just a little much, don't you think?
Linux was started as small piece of Software and you know the SCO / IBM
lawsuite.
Anyway, even if it's not released, is it at least possible that we can see this maybe turn up in an alternate theme for the forums ("TT Winter" perhaps)?
(The TT Theme is by created by dominionspy)

(Sorry for spelling mistakes, but I have to write it fast)
SHADOW-XIII
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SHADOW-XIII »

As far as Michael told me the Alpine Set gets completely new buildings not based on TTD one.
hurray :lol: :shock: :twisted:
what are you looking at? it's a signature!
Born Acorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Born Acorn »

Well if you didn't tell anyone that they were based on TTDs sprites, but just your own, then nobody would know and if nobody thought you had not created them them, then you'd been able to release them becuse everyone would think you made them yourself.

Except if you are really honest, which I guess you are 8)
Endre
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Endre »

This was locked, yesterday, wasn't it??
But they look good!
Indivisibiliter ac inseparabiliter
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

The SCO lawsuit is not going to accomplish anything. That's my industry and nobody believes it is anything but a sneaky muddying-the-water effort funded by Microsoft. There is no chance SCO has a legal leg to stand on.
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

We are going OT, very much OT. Be careful not to induce a new Locked Topic.
eis_os
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by eis_os »

Not good looking Bank:
Attachments
snowy5.png
snowy5.png (15.84 KiB) Viewed 3418 times
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

I think the bank is fine, except that the snow wouldn't be over the entire done, it would be just perched at the very top, is all. With irregular edges of course. That would be very cool-looking, actually.
Rob
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Rob »

eis_os wrote:Not good looking Bank:
Use mine instead.
I did it all from scrap, so no TTD copyright.
Only name me as the original creator. :wink:

Wie zich gelukkig voelt met het geluk van anderen, bezit een rijkdom zonder grenzen. (F.Daels)
Still the best OS around
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

And you can edit my roadset if you like, as long as you credit me. And honestly, your (eis_os) bank doesn't look bad.
eis_os
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by eis_os »

Thanks for allowing to change your sprites but I will stick to the TTD one.

I think Michael has surely some Sprites I could use too, have to ask him :D

Ok, I tried to make it so it isn't full snowed at the dome, but it doesn't look right (for me), so I went to back to the bank2 design.

The change of the brightness make it look more *right*.
Attachments
snowy6.png
snowy6.png (14.69 KiB) Viewed 3390 times
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

Might I suggest:
The little cupola on the top of the back should be fully covered with snow, as you have it.

Your inset graphic doesn't look right, but that's because the snow-cap wouldn't end exactly evenly at the window line like you have it. You need kind of a scalloped edge of the snow.

There is no weather situation that would result in the dome being completely covered with snow as you have in your last version. If there were high winds, you'd get one side completely covered, but then the other side wouldn't have any. We get that a lot here.
eis_os
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by eis_os »

Yeah, but that is a big problem if you have only limited colors.
Or in other words I am not so good in doing that :)

(By the way I don't hinder you to do snow sprites your own)

Return to “Graphics Development”